sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Come to think of it Ted is probably a fitting comparison. That movie's sequel dropped nearly 2/3 from the original, which is brutal for a sequel to a film that was well-received and had a multiplier of around 4 from a $50M+ launch.

Lego though burnt off some demand with spin-offs. Despite underwhelming Bat Lego did very well compared to it's prod budget. It more than doubled it dom which gives the best returns. Ted2 was shocking. Felt it was a decent film too and deserved better.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I imagine they'll take it to streaming land. Aren't they planning on launching their own (like every studio seems to be doing these days)?

I think Billion Brick Race probably would end up on the WarnerMedia streaming service if it ever gets out of development. 

I wonder if WAG's priorities have changed, before the plan was was Lego every other year alternating with an original film and now it seems the focus is on adapting the deep WB Animation library with a smattering of originals which are also adaptations. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Avatree said:

I don't think Ninjago damaged the brand, I mean barely anyone saw it. It's just diluting the brand which takes away novelty of Lego movie. If Ninjago did well and was well liked I dont think that would stand the Lego 2vie in any better stead, really.

Diluting the brand is damaging the brand though, especially when it's done with an inferior product. 

I think they over-estimated the demand for all things Lego when really, it was more about the novelty and quality of the original.

Edited by Spectre

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Unbelievable how badly WB botched this up. They seem to have forgotten to even advertise Shazam, so I feel like that's gonna disappoint pretty hard too.

Shazam will be fine, it's a DC solo film rather than a sequel

• Like 2

I wonder how Dragon 3 will perform with Lego 2 underperforming and the impressive preview numbers seem nice but it also face a 5 year wait and the TV show potential draining the brand.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Unbelievable how badly WB botched this up. They seem to have forgotten to even advertise Shazam, so I feel like that's gonna disappoint pretty hard too.

Shazam will be fine, as we’ll get a trailer with Captain Marvel as WB has figured that audiences pay the most attention, 6 weeks before the release date. They’ll probably pick up marketing in full speed after Captain Marvel opens. Though again Lego Movie 2 has me nervous for Pikachu due WB’s ineffectiveness and incompetence at selling family films.

WAG needs serious help, outside of Space Jam 2 and Super Pets, nothing else can potential reach Lego Movie 1 numbers. It’s amazing that Disney’s biggest rival is doing the worst at animation and family films especially with it’s heritage.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

WAG needs serious help, outside of Space Jam 2 and Super Pets, nothing else can potential reach Lego Movie 1 numbers. It’s amazing that Disney’s biggest rival is doing the worst at animation and family films especially with it’s heritage.

It's a two-way race between WB & Universal for Disney's biggest rival and, between Dreamworks & Illumination, Universal is clearly doing much better in the animation field. 

Re: Shazam, having a trailer with Captain Marvel just seems too late. That's 4 weeks before release, can it really sustainably build a lot of anticipation in that time? They should have launched something at the start of January like it was originally planned, have no idea why they delayed it by so long. We'll see.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TMP said:

I don't think it's WB fault. Interest just died. Also it's been overexposed with Ninjango and Lego Batman.

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

WB is making some Dr. Seuss movies. The Cat in the Hat will be the first.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Re: Shazam, having a trailer with Captain Marvel just seems too late. That's 4 weeks before release, can it really sustainably build a lot of anticipation in that time? They should have launched something at the start of January like it was originally planned, have no idea why they delayed it by so long. We'll see.

That's about a month of promotion so that's plenty of time. I doubt WB is expecting Wonder Woman or Aquaman numbers from it even in the best case scenario either way.

14 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I wonder how Dragon 3 will perform with Lego 2 underperforming and the impressive preview numbers seem nice but it also face a 5 year wait and the TV show potential draining the brand.

Dragon 3 will likely be fine considering expectations are already not especially high after the second saw a substantial dip from the first.

• Like 1

Lego1's 3rd weekend was 31.3 and LegoBat's 2nd weekend was 32.7, so Lego2 doing 35 ow would be preposterous and I think the number in the end will be significantly higher though not very cheerful. 40-45 is deflating as it is for a sequel with assuredly lesser legs than the predecessor which opened close to 70. The gap in total dom between the 2 could be well over 100.

Shazam will be fine, because of the budget and WB likely expectations, but damn ... we're less than 2 months and we haven't had a full trailer since July. LOL 

I know Aquaman was late as well with its trailers, but it did have a 5 minute look 2  1/2 months prior to release and that final trailer a month before.

Oh and in regards to the #s ... just too much Lego in too short of a time.