sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

10 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

Anyone here knows Lego1 make 455k on previous. 

Don't try to underestimate the opening of Lego2 WB usually don't try harder on previous for cartoons. There was no K12 of yesterday 

That was 5 years ago, a completely different time for previews. And I say this as probably the biggest LEGO fan on the board, there’s no chance it’ll get close to the original with those previews.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

That was 5 years ago with 10 PM previews at at a time when Thursday previews are nowhere near as prominent as they are now.

And what about the Grinch on holiday season last year 67M opening with same preview 

1 minute ago, Brinatico said:

And what about the Grinch on holiday season last year 67M opening with same preview 

This is a sequel, it won’t follow TLBM in terms of frontloadedness but if we use Grinch, Lego 2 is at a $46M OW. And Grinch didnt have early sneak previews.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

Just now, Brinatico said:

Except it's not?

Lego made 1.5M on Thursday. It's only $100K behind Grinch when you add in the Early Access showings that occurred in January. Besides, Lego's also a sequel, so it will likely be more frontloaded. Maybe I'm wrong, but with all the evidence, this ain't hitting Grinch numbers.

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Lego 2 does have me a bit worried about Pikachu, despite the first excellent trailer as WB sucks at marketing family or animated films.

Aww dude, that's an overreaction. Pikachu has something that Lego 2 always seemed to lack: hype. People are actually buzzing about it...... did anyone truly care about Lego 2?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It seems the spin offs hurt the Lego Movie brand a bit much like how HTTYD2 made less than the first due to the TV series and the long gap between sequels.

Itll be interesting to see if the other Lego movies come into fruition. I think Lego Batman 2 is likely but not sure on Billion Brick Race, next year and the year after the focus for WAG seems to be on films based on the existing IP like Scooby, Space Jam, Tom and Jerry and Super Pets

HTTYD2 did less because the 3D.

The first movie was hugely benefited by being one of the first 3D releases after Avatar. 

In 2014 the 3D wasn't a big deal for movies. 

• Like 2

Talking about how poorly WB has handled lego is a perfect example of hindsight bias. Sure, with the benefit of hindsight, it would have been much smarter for WB to make LEGO2 before any of the spin-offs, but who would have predicted that outcome way back in 2014? A Batman spin-off was seen as a great idea at the time, and many people were even predicting 300M DOM for it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

yes

I pity those 4 people.

@DAJK I was one of those Lego Batman > 300M DOM predictors too, cause I thought that the character broke out in the 1st movie like the Minions. The thing is: Despicable Me 1 was followed by DM2 and only after came Minions. I speak for myself but maybe others will agree that we blindly expected Lego Bats to just follow the Minions route right off the bat (no pun intended), especially since it starred Batman, one of the most iconic characters of all time, when it really would've been smarter to setup a sequel 1st to further elevate the Lego characters' popularity, and THEN they could've done the spin-off stuff. Ninjago probably would've been helped if they had actually connected it to said sequel as well.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

How does Lego 2 have 23000 user ratings on RT already?

Those were the 'want to see' ratings they just get converted into user ratings when the movie is released.

Edited by nevermore

Lego Movies aren't expensive to produce. Lego1 and BatLego were 60 and 80 respectively. This too should be sub-100. Doing 3x the prod budget globally with a very healthy dom portion ensures profitability.

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The budget doesn’t look good either, this cost $99M, and if DOM goes sub $150M, and if OS is as weak as reported, this won’t get pass $300M WW. 

Everything’s not Awesome :whosad:. Now it’s time for me drown my sorrows.

i'm fairly certain for a film like the LEGO movies, a majority of the money is made in merchandising

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-shazam-pet-sematary-best-enemies/

Long Range Tracking is now up

Shazam: 40-60M range. 45/144

Pet Sematary: 20-30M range. 28/65

Best of Enemies: 7-12M range. 10/30

Alita: 17/48 (+6%)

That Shazam number seems pretty low tbh

Other two are accurate tho

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Talking about how poorly WB has handled lego is a perfect example of hindsight bias. Sure, with the benefit of hindsight, it would have been much smarter for WB to make LEGO2 before any of the spin-offs, but who would have predicted that outcome way back in 2014? A Batman spin-off was seen as a great idea at the time, and many people were even predicting 300M DOM for it. 

Lego Batman made sense to do as it was perfect synergy for WB, a spin off based of both the first film and their most popular character. Ninjago however did do some damage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1