sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

7 minutes ago, boyamama said:

why u compare ALita w/ whatever movie u try to compare tho?...doesn't even make any sense at all.........:wintf:..

i mean 100M dom w/ 700M dom ???...wtf :kitschjob:

It's like they share a screenwriter and producer who has a similar global appeal and the ratio could be the same or even better depending on China.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

It's like they share a screenwriter and producer who has a similar global appeal and the ratio could be the same or even better depending on China.

it's...it's not. China's numbers for Alita are good but not that good.

11 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Nobody was ever expecting Avatar-like numbers. This puts the comp in between Jumper ($80M) and Glass ($107M). The drops could be less severe from here on. Never forget where Alita came from, she's been fed nothing but Valerian-esque hopelessness for a year by everyone else (including after the review embargo dropped).

:nYDbRi7.jpg

Now Alita like

Spb4UfM.png

I mean, 0.5A was being thrown around here and there :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How is Alita going to have better legs from here on out when Captain Marvel is going to destroy the film in less than two weeks?

We'll see, I'm not convinced Captain Marvel will cut the legs out from under Alita, it depends on what fuels Alita's legs (other than anti-matter nano-tech).

• Like 1

I'd totally be down for an anime continuation for Alita in the place of a sequel. I don't think Disney would want to make it live-action so that would probably be the best route to go imo.

If Tron could get an animated series after Legacy underperformed, I could totally see Alita going the same route. If Disney put that on their streaming service, I'd totally drop money to watch it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

All we need is enough to justify a sequel. New IPs are hard to come by, and this was always a passion project, never something done for the money.

If Cameron is so passionate about it he can foot the next $270-300m production/ marketing bill himself.  And maybe even direct it.

Disney has tons of IP.  They don't need IP that makes a bit after years in ancillary or maybe even loses money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

We'll see, I'm not convinced Captain Marvel will cut the legs out from under Alita, it depends on what fuels Alita's legs (other than anti-matter nano-tech).

Alita is not holding well enough to keep it's theaters/screens in subsequent weeks. It will be in the single digits next weekend and during Captain Marvel weekend will probably drop 53-60%. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Even with a $6m Saturday it should a bit under $13m.  In two weeks when CM comes out it will be doing around a $4-5m w/e at best.  Overall it will be a negligible impact.

• Like 1

Jokes aside Alita is doing what I was expecting O/U RPO WW and around $100M DOM, which although not a juggernaut gross, it isn’t the flop most of us were expecting and is still a strong result. Fox was smart moving it from December, it would’ve been iced.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People predicting under 300mil weren't right and the people predicting a billion weren't right either. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, can we talk about the box office numbers in front of us?

Agreed.

NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT HTTYD3 AND IT'S OPENING TO 60M!! :( 

• Like 3

Dragon 3 is about to be the first animated film since Grinch to hit a $60M OW, as well as the first non Disney/Illumination/Pixar animated film to hit a $60M OW since The Lego Movie. Dragon 3 may also be the first non Disney/Illumination/Pixar Movie to hit $200M DOM since The Lego Movie. 

Also, this breakout proves to me that when Dreamworks/Universal does Shrek 5, it hits $200M OW.