sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

14 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I was told Alita would easily crush $1B WW.

It's a $billie movie in my heart no matter what.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People predicting under 300mil weren't right and the people predicting a billion weren't right either. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, can we talk about the box office numbers in front of us?

Pacific Rim+ numbers, depends on the legs it gets in China. $400M WW is the floor, $450M is what I expect, $500M+ is my hope if it breaks out big in China. The Maoyan score is 0.3 above Pacific Rim and it opened much higher, and the China market is bigger now than it was then.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Only positive for Alita is that it's doing better than what pre release expectations.

It need to do $550mn with good support from ancillaries and that doesn't seems to happen.

The only positive for Alita is it's more than doubling original estimates? We've gone from no hope of a sequel to a decent chance of one.

Don't also forget Alita was a way to keep Avatar 2's A-team busy and employed before Avatar 2 post-production, in addition to providing SFX research and pushing them forward.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Terminator Genisys and Warcraft had global appeal as well and yet no sequels were made despite them being set up.

It's interesting you mention that, if Alita pulls Warcraft #'s in China (similar opening weekend), it's looking at $500M+. Neither of those movies had the same fan reaction either, Alita is tied with Spiderverse for the highest audience approval on RT in nearly a year, IIRC, and almost everyone who's seen Alita and liked it would watch the sequel, in addition to new fans. Just how damn good Alita is surprised a lot of us.

• Like 1

Really glad HTTYD 3 is having the opening the second should have had.

12 minutes ago, Slave Animal Rights said:

i'm sorry to all of you who are into HTTYD3.  I've never cared to see any of those films and I don't expect to.

Also, I pity Pokémon fans.  I know nothing about them, but I know that brand needs to be liberated.  I hope you can all wake from your darkness.

What.... is the point of this?

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

It's interesting you mention that, if Alita pulls Warcraft #'s in China (similar opening weekend), it's looking at $500M+. Neither of those movies had the same fan reaction either, Alita is tied with Spiderverse for the highest audience approval on RT in nearly a year, IIRC, and almost everyone who's seen Alita and liked it would watch the sequel, in addition to new fans. Just how damn good Alita is surprised a lot of us.

If Alita's word of mouth was so good it would be dropping under well under 50% this weekend. Its word of mouth is good, among fans and people who like films like Alita. That's it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

It's a $billie movie in my heart no matter what.

I guess that's fair enough, we can stop trying to explain to them that Alita didn't actually make a billion dollars. Apparently a "billie" movie has meant something else entirely to them all along

• Haha 8

56 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Even with a $6m Saturday it should a bit under $13m.  In two weeks when CM comes out it will be doing around a $4-5m w/e at best.  Overall it will be a negligible impact.

It'll still be unWOKE counter programming to Captain Marvel. 

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

It's interesting you mention that, if Alita pulls Warcraft #'s in China (similar opening weekend), it's looking at $500M+. 

Warcraft opened on a Wednesday in China (before a major public holiday), which burned off significant demand before the weekend. Warcraft's Fri-Sun opening weekend gross may be comparable to Alita, but its running total by the end of the weekend will be far higher ($157 million vs around $63 million).

17 minutes ago, Wafflecakes said:

Really glad HTTYD 3 is having the opening the second should have had.

What.... is the point of this?

an expression of my sympathies to fans of the franchises (HTTYD & Pokémon) as I've grown tired of knowing about those films and it has given me stress.

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If Alita's word of mouth was so good it would be dropping under well under 50% this weekend. Its word of mouth is good, among fans and people who like films like Alita. That's it. 

There are no films like Alita so that's a non-sequitur. Alita is facing huge headwinds from critics, clickbait media, and mediocre trailers. It's too early to write off Alita WOM.

Into the Spiderverse dropped 53% its second weekend (also 94% audience approval), after that the drops decreased significantly. In addition, We're also coming off of a weird 5-day release weekend, so it's hard to compare the two.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slave Animal Rights said:

an expression of my sympathies to fans of the franchises (HTTYD & Pokémon) as I've grown tired of knowing about those films and it has given me stress.

Might be the dumbest thing I have ever read on a forum.

I am sad that you are so shallow that media EXISTING that doesn't cater to you causes you distress.

• Like 2