MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Hopefully he gets a good writer this time; i love Wan’s schlock but as awful as a guy Lovecraft might have been, his writing was a tier above the usual Wan stuff. I would rather he do another guillo riff but we’ll see how he tackles something of this scale & magnitude 

this is the third time this week I've seen someone say Lovecraft was an awful person. What did he do that was so bad?

43 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Is there anything left to say really? Is anyone surprised that a movie riddled with drama for well over a year is not very good? I'm just ready for it to finally end tomorrow. The lack of leadership and a vision, letting rumours run rampant for years and years, giving random characters movies over fixing relations with Henry and Ben, and so on. I can already tell after a year in charge that Gunn's new regime is setting out to right these wrongs. Superman Legacy cannot come soon enough. Here's to hoping DC can move on from this mess and move forward as a brand in the years to come.

In this current environment, I can almost guarantee that Superman:Legacy isn’t a guaranteed hit. Despite Gunn’s prior success, I don’t see S:L being a smash hit. When taking into account the growing apathy for Comic Book projects overall (MCU and DC) as well as DC long history of haphazard results and that Creature Commandos comes out next year, there’s not enough room for a reset to people back on board. Yes Gunn is talented but ask anyone outside of film twitter and Letterboxd and Reddit, the GA don’t know or care who Gunn is 

2 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Still crazy that there will be a total of 10 more DCEU films made and released since Justice League came out in 2017.

And out of those 11, 10 were flops :Venom:

only SHAZAM! was a success.

Edited by Avatree

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

this is the third time this week I've seen someone say Lovecraft was an awful person. What did he do that was so bad?

He was intensely racist. Some people argue his racism was the main driver for “fear of the unknown” being such a significant recurring theme in his work; i personally think it stands on its own divorced from his personal feelings but I get that not everyone shares this view

• Like 2

1 minute ago, toutvabien said:

Still crazy that there will be a total of 10 more DCEU films made and released since Justice League came out in 2017.

In hindsight, WB should have rebooted after the disastrous Justice League opening weekend. The DC universe would have been in a much better place right now.

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

He was highly racist and his work is also full of racist shit. 

But it’s endlessly creative so it can be adapted. The HBO show Lovecraft Country was amazing in discussing racial issues while using the good parts of his work.

• Like 2

Superman Legacy probably won't make a lot of money with all the baggage from a shitty 10 year DCEU that came before it, but given the writer/director doing it, it will likely be a much better movie than anything that came before it.  It'll be like Star Trek 09 and X-Men: First Class where they didn't exactly make a lot of money but were liked enough by audiences and critics for studios to make sequels.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

In hindsight, WB should have rebooted after the disastrous Justice League opening weekend. The DC universe would have been in a much better place right now.

The problem was Wonder Woman being a huge critical and commercial hit, and then Aquaman being an even bigger commercial hit. Hard to tell an exec to not give them sequels back then.

I think the whole franchise (and genre) needs way more cooldown time, but shareholders want to see a big IP utilized…