MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

@Relevation

Now my only question is that your $375M WW prediction is under the assumption that the movie is awful, like "one of the worst superhero movies ever made"

The test screenings about that are probably just as accurate as the ones calling The Flash the "best CBM since TDK" (ended up getting the worst audience reception in the DCEU).

So what do you predict in the case the movie is well received, like an A or A- CinemaScore? Similar to the first one

Edited by HummingLemon
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HummingLemon said:

I said in the comment that I don't think it's gonna come true, I'm thinking more like $700-800

yeah that's more realsitic. also, people should stop comparing these movies to AIW. AIW should have been one and done. It never begged for a sequel given than only the original book is famous. 

• Like 1

Unless this has like... toxic word of mouth, it's gonna be the biggest DC film since The Batman. Now, what that means, could range anywhere between just $10M over Black Adam to who knows how big. It's not completely out of the question that this becomes the biggest cbm of the year. but for the time being, I expect below Guardians, Spider-Verse and possibly wherever Marvels ends up at.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HummingLemon said:

@Relevation

Now my only question is that your $375M WW prediction is under the assumption that the movie is awful, like "one of the worst superhero movies ever made"

The test screenings about that are probably just as accurate as the ones calling The Flash the "best CBM since TDK" (ended up getting the worst audience reception in the DCEU).

So what do you predict in the case the movie is well received, like an A or A- CinemaScore? Similar to the first one

$375M WW is assuming like Black Adam tier critical reception and a B/B+ CinemaScore

If it’s actually well received then maybe it could swing to $500M

1 hour ago, HummingLemon said:

@Relevation

Now, sorry about annoying you or something, and I'm just doing this to play Devil's Advocate, but if the Meg 2 with a 20% RT can make $400M WW, why can't Aquaman 2 do the same?

It can, people forget that some movies are immune to bad reviews like Transformers or The Meg

Aquaman is about a man who talks about fishs and it always presented itself as something dumb and fun, nobody expects more than that because it doesn´t even try to sell more than that

The first movie made nearly 1.2B with pretty meh reviews, including 55 on MC, it didn´t matter 

DC brand as a whole is a problem, and yes i do think it´ll drop considerable because of that. But this doom and gloom about being a gigantic failure because it´ll be bad reviewed is laughable, unless it have toxic WOM, it won´t matter 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HummingLemon said:

@Relevation

Now, sorry about annoying you or something, and I'm just doing this to play Devil's Advocate, but if the Meg 2 with a 20% RT can make $400M WW, why can't Aquaman 2 do the same?

Meg 2 doesn’t have toxic brand association and got a huge international assist from Wu Jing, especially in China. Meg 2 had a pretty bad domestic drop from its predecessor that I expect to also occur with Aquaman, but unlike Meg 2 I expect Aquaman to careen down hard internationally as well.  

46 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Leakers are claiming people  walked out of free test screenings

going to have a lot of egg on their faces if this movie ends up being even decently received 

I mean test screenings are meant to get feedback to fix a movie. So if gets good reception, it might be that they turned it around after the test screenings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Marston said:

going to have a lot of egg on their faces if this movie ends up being even decently received 

I think the day twitter scoopers get real fucking jobs should be a day of celebration for us all

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, John Marston said:

I was listening to the Empire Podcast interview with Chris McQuarrie and he even said they got walkouts at Dead Reckoning test screenings, it's not that out of the ordinary.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

I was listening to the Empire Podcast interview with Chris McQuarrie and he even said they got walkouts at Dead Reckoning test screenings, it's not that out of the ordinary.

I suspect all these things people claims about SH test screenings happens a lot with many movies, we just don’t know about because we’re not suppose to know about it but for some reason when it comes to SH movies this is super relevant and everything needs to be leaked 

• Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, John Marston said:

eh. it was less about the quality of the film but the content of a scene that made people leave

Edited by cooldude97