DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

Gonna have to see it again to give full thoughts, but:

Stan Lee on the subway in 1995 reading the script to Mallrats was perfection.  I laughed and cried. 

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the film.

I fully expected them to re-write Carols origin and get her power set fully up to where it is in the current comics. The evolution and gradual upgrade of her powers in the comics would've just been too much.

I did not expect them to make Mar-vell a woman scientist vs the Kree Warrior man who Stan Lee co-created.

I had thought Jude Law was going to perhaps be Mar-vell, I totally missed that one(again I don't read all spoilers). Thought from the trailers Law was going to be a force of influential good on Carol/Vers.

As a film it is really good and I have no real complaints save one at first blush. How was she able to go right to the records she needed in that vast records room on the 5 sub-basement floor?

As for her not being addressed as Captain Marvel in the film....really? 

That is the complaint logged by one that has received multiple replies and retorts? 

If that is all you got then what you got is nothing. 

:hahaha:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

That is the complaint logged by one that has received multiple replies and retorts? 

If that is all you got then what you got is nothing. 

:hahaha:

I do not appreciate my criticism being misconstrued by so many.

For at least the 5th time, I don't care that the words "Captain Marvel" are never uttered in the film. I care that the title of the film makes 0% sense within the context of the film.

Wonder Woman didn't need to be called "Wonder Woman" directly for the title of the film to make sense.

Is that really too much to ask for? I guess so...

14 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The Kree call her Vers because because they only found part of her dogtag.  The "Carol Dan...." part stayed on Earth and the "...VERS" part went with her to Hala.  

This is kind of an homage to Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979), too...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I do not appreciate my criticism being misconstrued by so many.

For at least the 5th time, I don't care that the words "Captain Marvel" are never uttered in the film. I care that the title of the film makes 0% sense within the context of the film.

Wonder Woman didn't need to be called "Wonder Woman" directly for the title of the film to make sense.

Is that really too much to ask for? I guess so...

I get what you're saying, and these are sometimes issues I have with a lot of these contemporary MCU movies, as well...

It didn't seem to bother me as much, here, but I get it. 

I have more problems with, for example, her just "showing up" with the Avengers at the end with no real buildup, and equally, Fury's pager just showing up in the Avengers hands (I'd  like to think these two items will be addressed more in Endgame...but Tony's reconciliation with Pepper was similarly "made good" in one jokey scene at the end of Homecoming, and then moved past...and I took issue with that, as well). 

Again, even though it's logical to assume: all they would need for the former is one line: "Fury instructed SHIELD to get this pager into the hands of people he trusts, should anything happen to him."  I hope we see/hear that. 

And in Captain Marvel, they could have at least had a line in there at the end about her getting "promoted" to Captain, or something...

But whatevs... people don't seem to care, so...

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The title of the film makes perfect sense since it stars a well-known comic character named Captain Marvel. A character inside the film may not be aware of why Captain Marvel was an appropriate name, but certainly every single person in the theater watching the film would know why and recognize the name as appropriate. And of course, movie titles are made for those of us who watch the movies, not fictional characters inside their own movies.

Unless you're Deadpool. Then you might care what the movie you're in was called.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kitik said:

The title of the film makes perfect sense since it stars a well-known comic character named Captain Marvel. A character inside the film may not be aware of why Captain Marvel was an appropriate name, but certainly every single person in the theater watching the film would know why and recognize the name as appropriate. And of course, movie titles are made for those of us who watch the movies, not fictional characters inside their own movies.

This is debatable, but whatevs... everything should make sense in context.

Films can be ambiguous, nuanced, sure...I want more of that.  But they should make some kind of logical interpretive sense with their title...not just be fan-pandering.

Based on the character in the movie, the movie should be actually be called "VERS."

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Again, all they would need for the former is one line: "Fury instructed SHIELD to get this pager into the hands of people he trusts should anything happen to him."  I hope we see/hear that. 

Maybe, but not really needed. We really don't need to see some Shield agent delivering a pager to the Avengers door to figure out that they would have gotten their hands on it soon enough. Hell, Tony probably has sensors set up to scan for any interstellar beacons that are set off anywhere on earth.

1 minute ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Maybe they're saving the moniker for Endgame?

Like, perhaps she takes over the Captain title from... a fallen comrade?  😢

yeah, my thoughts exactly. certain comrade who is captain. he may not be fallen, though. just retired? like, whatever happens with O6 may not be deaths. some may just retire (at least Tony could cause he wants to start family with Pepper). 

12 minutes ago, kitik said:

Unless you're Deadpool. Then you might care what the movie you're in was called.

Uhh... what? I was inside the theater, and I have no idea why the name is appropriate.

So please explain to me, within the context of the film I watched and not the comic it was adapted from, why the title makes sense.

Can anyone explain to me why this movie is called what it's called, without having to reference a comic book? Adaptations of other mediums don't get a "get out of jail free" card for not explaining things that are in said other medium. That's lazy writing.

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

Uhh... what? I was inside the theater, and I have no idea why the name is appropriate.

So please explain to me, within the context of the film I watched and not the comic it was adapted from, why the title makes sense.

Can anyone explain to me why this movie is called what it's called, without having to reference a comic book? Adaptations of other mediums don't get a "get out of jail free" card for not explaining things that are in said other medium. That's lazy writing.

lmao you’re overthinking this way too much.  this is the definition of a non-issue.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Films can be ambiguous, nuanced, sure...I want more of that.  But they should make some kind of logical interpretive sense with their title...not just be fan-pandering.

Based on the character in the movie, the movie should be actually be called "VERS."

This is the point I'm trying to make.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

Not sure if people have discussed this but in the post-credits we see captain marvel looking exactly the same as she did 25 years ago.

I'm guessing that she isn't aging because of either

1. Kree blood

2. The tesseract powering her?

Anyone knows for sure?

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Not sure if people have discussed this but in the post-credits we see captain marvel looking exactly the same as she did 25 years ago.

1. Kree blood

Anyone knows for sure?

she lives in space so that slows down the aging and other planets may have different time span. plus the power blast as you say. it makes sense to me.

Edited by Valonqar

17 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

1. Kree blood

Anyone knows for sure?

It's becaue the kree blood

37 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

This is the point I'm trying to make.

But that would be nonsense to do so. Its an intro, she is not finished, ... a part 1 of something to come, in a way the first act. As are in my POV more or less all solo origins of the MCU.

It would confuse the heck the audience of future parts too. With so many titles its for some already a bit difficult / overwhelming, especially if jumping late on the wagon

I think you look way too strongly at it like a closed story thing. The MCU has in my POV some rules that do not apply to the usual stand alone movies

Its maybe bcs we never had something similar that ppl still try to approach it that way?

I think you pick to much the conditions for what you see as acceptable as reasons or possibilities and what not, way too focused on it has to be here and now, no tolerance for anything else.