DeeCee

***SPOILERS***SHAZAM SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS ALLOWED***SPOILERS***DID I MENTION SPOILERS?***

10 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

I’m giddy as fuck to see how they pull off Mister Mind in Shazam 2 just because of how insane the concept is.

Also, department store Santa needs to be a running gag in all future DC movies.

Department store Santa was great.

Biggest applause was the Shazam family reveal. When they showed Superman, the guy next to me went “Are you freaking kidding me?”. The way it was filmed made not showing his face pretty natural.

Superman cameo got a lot of laughs. I don't really know how much there is to spoil since the movie is more or less pretty straightforward (still great though). Aquaman joke in the end credits was funny, but my friend said he saw it online somewhere. I didn't so I really liked it. And I thought when the caterpillar first started laughing that it was gonna be Joaquin Phoenix's Joker lol

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Superman cameo got a lot of laughs. I don't really know how much there is to spoil since the movie is more or less pretty straightforward (still great though). Aquaman joke in the end credits was funny, but my friend said he saw it online somewhere. I didn't so I really liked it. And I thought when the caterpillar first started laughing that it was gonna be Joaquin Phoenix's Joker lol

The entire Shazam family and the third act including the actual villains have not been included in the marketing. The 2 trailers are pretty much just the first half of the movie, and not a full look at that. 

I'm honestly surprised how much was kept from the audience in the marketing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The entire Shazam family and the third act including the actual villains have not been included in the marketing. The 2 trailers are pretty much just the first half of the movie, and not a full look at that. 

I'm honestly surprised how much was kept from the audience in the marketing.

I mean yea, that was probably THE main spoiler of the movie. 

I genuinely loved how little was shown in the actual trailers. Almost the entirety of the second half was completely absent from marketing. The Shazam family bit was such a surprise that it actually got a big ol' smile on my face. It also made me laugh at how hard they tried to hide the fact Henry Cavill was not in that Superman costume.

Wasn't really into Mark Strong though, but these Marvel and DC villains are typically boring, so imma let it slide

Also, lol at the caterpillar dude. Have no idea who that guy is supposed to be, but I got a laugh out of it.

• Like 1

The marketing did a really good job of not giving away too much and the third act was really good and had lots of surprises for people. 

The Superman bit at the end really got my theatre, literally everybody let out a loud gasp. I was loving it.

I’m pretty excited to see where they can take a sequel with Mister Mind so I hope this movie makes decent money. 

Edited by cax16

I thought  this was overall a ton of fun.  Great family dynamic which I think really serves as the heart of the film.  

Really, the one main issue I have is that, IMO, Zachary Levi and Asher Angel do not feel like they're playing the same character.  Billy feels like a kid kind of wise and sad beyond his years, but Levi plays Shazam like he's 9 years old. 

Both actors give good performances in isolation, just not in terms of matching each other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The film was very amusing and entertaining. While it is more kid-friendly and less dark, there are some pg-13 stuff that actual kids might not enjoy. Monsters with sharp teeth nearly biting children's heads and hard punches that lead to bleeding come to mine. This film is in the same universe as DC and they mention characters throughout the film. A bullet flattened by Superman was sold on ebay, and it was implied that it was from the filming of a superman film, not having been in contact with the real hero. We see a faceless superman in the end. But the jokes on Aquaman are the best. 

The actor who played Lionel Luthor on Smallville was an excellent casting choice. He set up the villain's backstory well, and fans of all things super will appreciate his involvement. The film will undoubtedly have sequels and they can easily involve other heros or new villains from that comic series. I would look forward to another one soon. 

Is there any mention or nod or easter egg about Wonder Woman? You would think that a film set in the DCEU about a superhero whose powers include "gifts" from Zeus, Mercury, and Atlas would do some wink wink homage to Diana of Themyscira, the actual in-DCEU-continuity daughter of Zeus. (not to mention the fact that her film was the first DCEU movie to be beloved by critics as well as audiences... The trailers show that they reference Batman, Superman, and Aquaman...but no Wondy. Whats up with that?

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia

This is really, really good. The character work is so stellar, it's like the anti-Aquaman in terms of striving for completely different goals. I can't remember the last time a third act in one of these felt this satisfying, it all just worked so well. Also, Sandberg's horror roots definitely shone through in quite a few scenes, and was surprised at how raw/humane the emotional moments felt.

Also, the jokes really land and a lot of the action felt pretty well staged, even with bad CGI at points.