sfran43

Tuesday Numbers: US $8.03M

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Participations? What's this? Money to whoever owns rights?

It include every type of back end deal / profit participation.

Pretty much every time a big name getting millions of dollars, it also came with some deal that say if a movie make X you make Y more, it can take many form (thus the expression no one was ever paid only $20M in Hollywood)

Writers, biggest producer on the project, actors, director tend to have participation bonus and rights/book writer owner of the property can have them also but those often got them lost during the process.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Pretty much every time a big name getting millions of dollars, it also came with some deal that say if a movie make X you make Y more, it can take many form (thus the expression no one was ever paid only $20M in Hollywood)

Steven Spielberg is the prime of example of this. He gets loads of money from Jurrassic Franchise and many other films he gives his name. 

How do you think he has net worth of 3.5B+.. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I said venom was going to be 6th. There was no other option. And some people here jumped on me that you don't nothing. 

You know nothing Jon Snow. 😳😳

Good call! Also glad to see the profile pic situation got settled :) 

Edited by Nova
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Writers, biggest producer on the project, actors, director tend to have participation bonus and rights/book writer owner of the property can have them also but those often got them lost during the process.

So just to clarify does that includes money that actors/directors make from their back end deals that they sign? Also what about producers? Or do the producers (if different from the studio) just split the total net revenue with the studio depending on the contract that they have? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nova said:

So just to clarify does that includes money that actors/directors make from their back end deals that they sign? Also what about producers? Or do the producers (if different from the studio) just split the total net revenue with the studio depending on the contract that they have? 

Yes the participation line is where Will Smith/Dwayne Johnson making 20% of the profits appear.

Producer do tend to be employee on the project and get % point like actor would from what I understand..

A giant producer like a Graham King will be paid on a movie stuff like 2m V 5%, like big actor do.

If they own a production company involved in the project I am not exactly sure how it work, say https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Entertainment the company of the very big producer Charles Roven, that was a producer of American hustle, in the somewhat very famous % deal, they were always listed together has Atlas/Roven and Atlas/Roven was getting 6% of the profit and writing in the same paragraph in the contract the same way the director/actors were.

While Megan Ellison (Annapurna) was not listed in that term of percentage, her company was getting 23% of the profits and I imagine she took bonus from there, that said in a bit of a "strange" way she was paid a large producting fee of 1.6MM a fee paid per her own company in good part. So I think they try to keep it clean, them has individual and company kept distinct and everything, having their production company verses market rate producing fee to themselve and so on.

On that project Annapurna part were on the investor share line and not Participations line.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

Sooooo, $1Billion total gross for BR?!🤔

In a way, it woulda been nice for this to cross 1B just in the sense that it would be the first "non big budget blockbuster extravaganza" to do so (and presumably would be the only one for the foreseeable future) but its run has been good enough at this point

7 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

According to Deadline, participation cost for JW2 was a mind boggling 200m which is what lowered the net profits. If not for that, it would easily have broke even theatrically. 

Also remember that when we say break even theatrically we are only including profits from box office run but the cost includes everything (video release cost, overheads, interest, participation, etc).

If we only include box office profits and only include the production+marketing+distribution cost then JW2 breaks even and makes a decent profit. 

Now imagine what those participation costs were for Infinity war with all those big name actors. 

9 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

In a sea of "mediocre" and "it's ok" and even "good," you are the first person I see here calling CM trash. 

I have a suspicion that CM will be one of those CBMs whose first sequel will significantly increase in quality, like Ragnarok, and Spider-Man 2 (although Spider-Man 1 is already a very good film).

Yep I'd love to see a different director entirely but good luck with that considering massive success. Sequel will be great. Winter Solider was sooooo much better than CA1. That's what made me so impressed with Aquaman. Justice League sucked and for it's first film I thought it was really good with a great set up for the next film.