CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

I’m saying $350m low end to $450m high end. I think the last film killed a ton of interest in thing and that the OS BO hasn’t recovered to the point where a film from a series with shaky prior entries can power it’s way to $500m.

• Like 2

I am not even sure what to say about this right now. OS OW is coming starting Wednesday and it should make things a bit more clear. 100M feels like a safe bet DOM right now which is a bit above from my prediction of a few weeks back. I still think WB wants 500M but 450M is probably enough for something to be greenlight in continuation of this movie.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

I'm just glad that it's unanimous in almost all reviewers that this is a big step up from Crimes with many stating it as the best in the series.

I admit i was quite pessimistic about the movies box office prospects because of CoG's bad reception but looking at the tracking thread and the overall good reactions from fans and most of the critics, this film could very well save the series.

One result of this early reception that i can personnally testify is that i will now see the film in theaters. Originally, i hadnt much interest because i honestly really disliked Crimes of Grindelwald, but i will give this now a chance. It could very well be that many other fans, who felt like me, will do the same now.

• Like 1

Even if TSOD worst-case-scenarios it in all territories to something like $300M worldwide, I still think there will be another film. WB wants to stay in the Wizarding World (and JK Rowling) business long enough to make it to the inevitable HARRY POTTER AND THE RETURN OF HARRY POTTER. Worst case scenario in my eyes is they do one wrap-up film that drops the FANTASTIC BEASTS focus and ties off Dumbledore vs. Grindelwald.

4 hours ago, AJG said:

I’m saying $350m low end to $450m high end. I think the last film killed a ton of interest in thing and that the OS BO hasn’t recovered to the point where a film from a series with shaky prior entries can power it’s way to $500m.

The overseas box office? Yes it has. This is the view of someone who doesn’t understand that this series has always had its biggest box office intake overseas. Overseas box office has recovered more than enough. 

1 hour ago, Felipe said:

RT critic

So…do people think it’s “fun and family friendly”, or “extremely political and as bleak as Deathly Hallows part 1”? 

What is it with the parental blinders people have for Potter that doesn’t seem to apply for any other film franchise? Lmao, I would not call SoD very family-friendly. 

Edited by earthtne

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/morbius-reviews-critics-1235123608/

This perfectly applies to the anti-CoG and Fantastic Beasts narrative. 

What surprises me: the most passionately negative people about Fantastic Beasts on social media seem to outright hate Harry Potter. I’ve seen so many critics and Twitter hot-take people with an expressed lack of interest in the series be so utterly vicious in their FB hatred - I remember listening to Slashfilm podcasts where the hosts got angry that Crimes of Grindelwald was polled at the time as one of the most anticipated films of the fall per Fandango. And Scott Weintraub live-Tweeting about how he was deliberately ignoring the Fantastic Beasts trailers at CinemaCon. 

I distinctly remember tons of pre-determined hatred, and it all culminated with shit like MovieBob, of all people, Tweeting at JK Rowling that she was a “fucking idiot” for writing FB2 after he gave such a bizarrely aggressive FB1 review. 

I think this is the first time I’ve seen people who have no interest in a franchise express so much hatred for a franchise, and actively try to get it cancelled. Using the narrow community of casual fan/Rowling haters as a more legitimate cover.

With DC, Star Wars, and Marvel, a larger % of original lore, story and world-building originated in the filmic medium, where there was always a split understanding in the Potter series because they’re novel adaptations. 

This means that a large amount of people simply don’t understand the first thing about the world this series is set in, the tone it expresses overall, or Rowling’s writing style. It seems they don’t like Rowling’s writing, and I think it’s because: not Marvel enough.

Edited by earthtne

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Both Japan and China which were its 2 best OS markets will see substantial declines, which isn't a great look for its overseas prospects.

China is in lockdown so not its fault. Japan we have no predictions yet.

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

China is in lockdown so not its fault. Japan we have no predictions yet.

Corpse said to expect a decline with hollywood's recent struggles in the market+removal of depp (big draw in jp according to her), and that seems accurate to me as I took a look at Shinjuku's sales for midnight shows and they're very sluggish.

Edited by JustLurking
typo

6 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

Such old news. Depp was paid and while some might still claim it was unfair, it's truly baffling if this should impact the box office in any way. 

Well I think it could, just not much. There seemed to be alot of "lets boycott fantastic beasts" posts after his firing but then we could also argue he's not been a draw for a long time now anyway. If this flops then Aquaman follows suit then we can draw conclusions