CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

Honestly, at this point this franchise seems to be beyond cursed.

It's frustrating because Crimes of Grindelwald, if done in a mini-series, could have been phenomenal. I feel like she had huge potential with Queenie turning to Grindelwald but it fell so flat...such wasted potential. Not to mention Leta.

Honestly...they should make FB3 and then make the next films directly related to just Grindelwald/Dumbledore (new titles)...similar to how the MCU is connected.

If she had created a series that focused on Credence Barebone, Leta Lestrange, Grindelwald, and Dumbledore...it would be fantastic.

21 hours ago, Noctis said:

Honestly, at this point this franchise seems to be beyond cursed.

It's frustrating because Crimes of Grindelwald, if done in a mini-series, could have been phenomenal. I feel like she had huge potential with Queenie turning to Grindelwald but it fell so flat...such wasted potential. Not to mention Leta.

Honestly...they should make FB3 and then make the next films directly related to just Grindelwald/Dumbledore (new titles)...similar to how the MCU is connected.

If she had created a series that focused on Credence Barebone, Leta Lestrange, Grindelwald, and Dumbledore...it would be fantastic.

The fundamental problem with this series is them trying to combine two concepts that dont need to be together. The Fantastic Beasts element doesn't fit with the whole Dumbledore V Grindelwald element nor vise versa. If they wanted to tell the story of Dumbledore and Grindelwald then they should have done that from the jump, but Dumbledore wasn't even in the first movie so they already messed that up, should've just called this series the Dumbledore Chronicles or something else from the start.

This franchise desperately needs a soft reboot and if Warner Brothers wants this series to continue and improve they need to ditch Rowling. She's not the only person that can come up with good ideas and her head is too far up her own butt at this point and she shows no signs/willingness to change her ways, writing and personality wise; that is not someone I feel can be relied upon anymore. I said in an earlier post they really need to go back to the drawing board and revisit this whole thing, there's still time.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, clockwork said:

The fundamental problem with this series is them trying to combine two concepts that dont need to be together. The Fantastic Beasts element doesn't fit with the whole Dumbledore V Grindelwald element nor vise versa. If they wanted to tell the story of Dumbledore and Grindelwald then they should have done that from the jump, but Dumbledore wasn't even in the first movie so they already messed that up, should've just called this series the Dumbledore Chronicles or something else from the start.

This franchise desperately needs a soft reboot and if Warner Brothers wants this series to continue and improve they need to ditch Rowling. She's not the only person that can come up with good ideas and her head is too far up her own butt at this point and she shows no signs/willingness to change her ways, writing and personality wise; that is not someone I feel can be relied upon anymore. I said in an earlier post they really need to go back to the drawing board and revisit this whole thing, there's still time.

As far as I know, they can’t just ditch Rowling. 

56 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

As far as I know, they can’t just ditch Rowling. 

She has some control sure, but Warner Brothers is the one paying for these movies to get made, not her. At the end of the day WB is a business and if they feel her involvement is not benefiting and or even hindering their business then I imagine they could use that leverage to push her out. If they have to power to stop or even cancel productions they certainly have the power to replace creatives, she can't force them to make these thats for sure. Some hard executive decisions will need to be made soon.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, clockwork said:

She has some control sure, but Warner Brothers is the one paying for these movies to get made, not her. At the end of the day WB is a business and if they feel her involvement is not benefiting and or even hindering their business then I imagine they could use that leverage to push her out. If they have to power to stop or even cancel productions they certainly have the power to replace creatives, she can't force them to make these thats for sure. Some hard executive decisions will need to be made soon.

I wonder whose job it is at WB to report back about JKR's Twitter rants. Tonight she's sounding very Trumpian albeit with a better vocabulary, all "everyone agrees with me!" Yeah, after her assistant who wants to keep their job filtered out all the negative emails, I'm sure she got tons of supportive messages... 

Anyway, I agree that the spinoff franchise should have been about Dumbledore from the start if that's what they wanted to do. I didn't get basing it on maybe Fantastic Beasts at all or making the main character Newt Scamander but not really. The series lacks focus for something created as a movie. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 8:11 AM, clockwork said:

I remain convinced to this day that none of the Grindlewald stuff was in the original script for the first Fantastic Beasts movie and instead got added in later, either during shooting or reshoots. 

Not to over exaggerate, but pretty much every time the film cuts away from Newt and the gang it basically looks and feels like a totally different movie. That movie being The Crimes of Grindlewald. 

I'm willing to bet that Colin Farrell's Graves was just supposed to be an evil wizard government official who was using the Ezra Miller character's uniquely powerful magic to seize control of the city or whatever. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 3

I was really rooting for movies. But ever since that second one came out my disappointment and disenchantment has continued to deepen. If it's not the lackluster filmmaking its the extraneous controversies that surround some of the big names involved like Rowling, Depp, and somewhat Ezra that really sap my confidence.

I can't see this third film doing too well unless Warner Brothers is willing to make some major changes. Not enough to just get an actual screenwriter onboard but getting a new director, maybe shuffle around some of the cast/get some new faces, and decide on which concept they want to pursue; either stick to the title/premise of Fantastic Beasts and make this and the possible remaining movies a bunch of fairly lighthearted Indiana Jones-esque adventure stories about a dude going around looking for magical creatures alongside a diverse set of ensemble casts or go full on prequel mode with the Dumbledore vs Grindelwald stuff.  Just pick one concept and stick with it, can't do both.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

I'm not really confident this production will go smoothly, but who knows. They should've waited, or cancelled it, or just make this one a soft-reboot. They should just really ignore that second movie as much as possible.

Edited by clockwork

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Rowling made some valid claims about some of the transgender movement and was not transphobic IMO.

But NOW she comes up with a new book where the serial killer is a transvestite man who dresses as a woman to kill other women? 

I almost feel this is the most elaborate prank on us...I'm sorry....but for Rowling to go this route is so ridiculous. Come on, Rowling...you were and are largely an inspiration but this is ridiculous. 

At this point, cancel FB3. Rowling, Depp, and Ezra are too controversial. Let a new director come in with a new writer and write the series. Rowling almost seems like she's intent on shitting on her legacy.

THIS is the hill you choose to die on, Rowling? What a shame...so pointless. All the valid reasons she had just flew out the window.

Her gender is clearly important to her. She is allowed to write about subjects she feels passionately about.

3 minutes ago, tree said:

Her gender is clearly important to her. She is allowed to write about subjects she feels passionately about.

It's not even about that. I do believe she made some truly valid points about the transgender movement...but I feel that this cross dressing villain nullifies not only her valid points, but makes her look petty in the process. At this point, it feels like all the nuance from her essay just flew out the window which is a shame.

How much BS is Warner Brothers willing to put up with? All these controversies keep pilling up on top of the fact that the last movie was not well received. They may think anything from the HP franchise is bulletproof and will make lots of money but they're really starting to push their luck.

The brand is bigger than her now, they don't need her to keep being involved, they're changing things up with DC and rebooting Suicide Squad and Batman so they should do the same with this. Gotta drop some of this baggage and change things up.

Edited by clockwork