Eric the Ape

Megalopolis l Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

They seem pretty dead-set on an IMAX run at least which should rule out Netflix. Coppola self funded this movie and sold part of his vineyard to get it made, I think money isn't the main object here.

Edited by AniNate

31 minutes ago, AniNate said:

They seem pretty dead-set on an IMAX run at least which should rule out Netflix. Coppola self funded this movie and sold part of his vineyard to get it made, I think money isn't the main object here.

That is not quite true. he took a look at his total personal wealth, and fround out he could fund the film and still be worth over a 100 Million.

But yes, Coppola wants a full threatircal run for this. If it is as good as we all hope, he will not have a problem finding a parnter for releasing it.

41 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

https://deadline.com/2024/03/francis-coppola-megalopolis-first-screening-distributors-citywalk-imax-1235871124/

Alright. Place your bets. Who's getting it? My money's on Netflix because they'll pay the most money for it and the most annoying answer is typically the one that's right.

Only if Netflix agrees to a full threatical run for the film.

54 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

https://deadline.com/2024/03/francis-coppola-megalopolis-first-screening-distributors-citywalk-imax-1235871124/

Alright. Place your bets. Who's getting it? My money's on Netflix because they'll pay the most money for it and the most annoying answer is typically the one that's right.

Big, expensive auteur vehicle? Warn a Brother! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More impressions from that screening:

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/3/28/francis-ford-coppolas-megalopolis-greeted-with-standing-ovation-at-first-screening-coppola-visibly-moved

Also Matthew Belloni from Puck News claims the actual reaction was more polite than positive and the movie is batshit insane with zero commercial prospects.

At least he made The Godfather...: I think most people in town want Megalopolis, Francis Ford Coppola’s $120 million, self-funded, years-in-the-making, apocalyptic career-capper, to be good. But man, the feedback I’m hearing from today’s Universal City screening for about 300 studio executives and friends of the 84-year-old filmmaker/wine mogul, is… not good.

Polite, respectful applause at the end, but lots of wide eyes and shaking heads outside the theater. “There are zero commercial prospects and good for him,” one top attendee told me this afternoon, saying it’s a bizarre mix of Ayn Rand, Metropolis, and Caligula. “It’s unflinching in how bat**** crazy it is.”

Here’s a more detailed summary from the screening, and yes, at one point the movie “came alive” with an actor standing in front of the screen. I won’t ruin the climactic sequence with Jon Voight and Aubrey Plaza, but two separate sources told me unprompted it was one of the most baffling they’ve ever seen.

It’s a bummer, but that doesn’t mean Megalopolis won’t find a distributor—or even fans. Neon picked up U.S. rights to Michael Mann’s nine-figure Ferrari for pretty cheap when others passed, or maybe David Zaslav will make Warner Bros. release it so he can dine with Coppola at the Polo Lounge. But everyone I talked to agreed this is gonna be a tough sell.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

God, we are in bipolar/manic depressive mode again.

Calm down, people. Coppola wants a wide distribution for this.

Me, althoug hhe has made some weak films, the guy who made the first two Godfathers, and Apocalupse Now will always get my respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Sounds like the kind of movie that has no mainstream appeal. 

Define mainsteream appeal. A lot of people here thought "Oppenhiemer" would hav eno mainstream appeal either.

I guess for a lot of people. having no big CGI action scenes or no monsters means no widespread appeal.

I almost never "Stan" for a movie, but I might make an exception here.

I do think the fact that this movie can start an online hype machine just based on Deadline/WOR writeups is evidence that there will be a certain built in audience for this, so I don't think being "divisive" is necessarily a detriment to commercial prospects. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do think the fact that this movie can start an online hype machine just based on Deadline/WOR writeups is evidence that there will be a certain built in audience for this, so I don't think being "divisive" is necessarily a detriment to commercial prospects. 

I am not seeing this as divisive at all, just seeing a lot of people who are clueless as to how the film business works panicing over nothing.

And I think people don't get you handle a film like Megalopolis different then you would a CBM jor SCI fi franchise film.

Edited by dudalb

Just now, MightyDargon said:

I'm not willing to write off the movie based on some braindead chattering skull claiming its noncommercial. Joker was supposedly doomed before theatrical too.

I am still amazed how many people go insane b ased on one questionable rumor.

• Like 1

It's not commercial if that old version of the script is anything to go by, but it's sure should be fascinating. As long as it's not Lynne Ramsay type of pretentious and flows like a normal audience movie, it should be fine.

Some of the responses here saying the movie is probably very bad are quite funny. The article said that reaction was not good and proceed saying how there’s no “commercial prospects” for this right after.

It’s very clear that good for most of people there = commercial enough. It was a screening looking for distribution afterall.  

This could be good or terrible, but it sounds so conceptually interesting and audacious that I have no choice but to be extremely excited. I think it’s so fascinating to see that urban city planning & architecture is the lens that FFC is using to tell a story about the future of America, but I’m sure it’ll also be some metaphor for film-making as well haha (“what if the architect… represents… the film-maker 🤯)