Eric the IF

Megalopolis l Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

A $100 million marketing budget? That seems pretty high for this movie.

Agreed.

Of course COpolla c ould be using the classic tactic of asking for more then he  knows he going to get so he can bargain down.

Most of those who spoke to 

THR describe a film that is an enormously hard sell to a wide audience. Two people say it’s hard to figure out who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. The big exception is LaBeouf, who they say is the best thing about the film (he’s one of the antagonists).

Shia carries.

Edited by TomThomas

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not everyone was turned off. “I liked it enormously,” says one specialty label founder, who describes Megalopolis as a “very big film” that “has a real life. … How do you define commercial? You look at movie like Blade Runner and it became so much more commercial than on opening weekend.” Despite the vote of confidence, Megalopolis won’t find a home at his studio: “It takes time to find right match,” he says.

Another studio head, however, was far less charitable in his assessment: “It’s so not good, and it was so sad watching it. Anybody who puts P&A behind it, you’re going to lose money. This is not how Coppola should end his directing career.”

Yeesh, even people who liked it don’t want to pick it up.

Realistically, who will pick it up? Focus and Universal have passed, I don’t think Paramount is in the position to gamble on this, and I doubt A24 can afford it if they recently had a Springsteen film stolen from them by 20th Century. Neon probably can’t afford it either.

That leaves Warner Bros, 20th Century, and Searchlight. Maybe Warner Bros since they’re on a prestige rush lately.

"Most of those who spoke to THR describe a film that is an enormously hard sell to a wide audience. Two people say it’s hard to figure out who is the good guy and who is the bad guy."

This level of insight from studio execs running multibillion studios explain a lot about the current state of things lol.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Yeesh, even people who liked it don’t want to pick it up.

Realistically, who will pick it up? Focus and Universal have passed, I don’t think Paramount is in the position to gamble on this, and I doubt A24 can afford it if they recently had a Springsteen film stolen from them by 20th Century. Neon probably can’t afford it either.

That leaves Warner Bros, 20th Century, and Searchlight. Maybe Warner Bros since they’re on a prestige rush lately.

Lionsgate? They distributed Moonfall.

• Knock It Off 1

Coppola wanted to make a distribution deal before commiting to a big fest, but it seems he really needs to go to a big fest first and pray for good reception, maybe even fest award, then chances to find distribution would definitely improve.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

"Most of those who spoke to THR describe a film that is an enormously hard sell to a wide audience. Two people say it’s hard to figure out who is the good guy and who is the bad guy."

This level of insight from studio execs running multibillion studios explain a lot about the current state of things lol.

you couldn’t parody that quote if you tried. When you read about filmmakers rallying against studio heads in the 70s this exactly the mindset they were fighting 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 4

100m ad spend isnt exactly a small number. It'll likely do great at awards season but that'd need to do much bigger numbers than it probably will to justify it. Someone needs to be willing to eat some money for awards, and Netflix sounds to be moving away from ridiculously overspending on films now even if they did get it a theatrical release 

Edited by SpiderByte

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It just occurred to me, but could Apple not pick this up? 

I doubt they and Coppola could come to terms. He probably wants a long thretrical run for this, which sort of runs counter to Apple's strategy.

And, of course, this could just be Coppola manuevering to get a deal.

5 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

It's not advertising so much as it is studios bitching about their unwillingness to distribute. At least Coppola controls his own movie, as horrifically expensive as it must be for him. 

Maybe the studio heads should  remember what happned to Jack Woltz, head of Woltz Pictures, in the God Father.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t trust studio executives to tell me if a movie is good or not 

If it’s on Cannes in competition it probably have strong artistic value, even if it’s divisive 

Now Coppola have to pray he actually won, it would make it easier for him to sell the distribution rights