Eric is Quiet

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

Posted (edited)

Why some people talk about this as is something the audience will care about?

these comparisons with 1900, life is beautiful, the green mile and many crowd pleasures with average critics consensus but loved by the big audiences have nothing to do with this thing will be not divisive for the audience but just hated. Be real 😅

Edited by vale9001
  • ...wtf 1

29 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

its first masterpiece-y review (apart from maybe deadline's) comes from ign; could have funny implications

I thought IGN would only give Marvel movies (not after Endgame though) "masterpiece" type of praises. LOL

8 hours ago, BigBoxOfficeBucks said:

I thought IGN would only give Marvel movies (not after Endgame though) "masterpiece" type of praises. LOL

Is rare but sometimes they paid actual good critics to write for them about discussed movies beyond pop culture haha

The writer of the IGN rave review for this is a very good writer actually, he mostly writes for NYT and The Guardian. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigBoxOfficeBucks said:

Same critic who got sacked from covering the MCU D+ shows at IGN because he kept getting crap from readers for giving them bad reviews lol.

You think a big US studio coule take a modest risk on something like this.

But I find the sort of contempt for Coppola some people have to be distrubing.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

https://deadline.com/2024/05/francis-ford-coppola-megalopolis-new-deals-1235927358/

Everywhere else...except for the USA!  Very odd...  Diminishes my faith further in US studios/distributors...

Hollywood is in the pits right now, Linklater did an interview where he said even Hit Man (a crowdpleaser that only cost 10m to make and had RAVE reviews...the major studios didn't wanna task a risk on for buying). 

• Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Hollywood is in the pits right now, Linklater did an interview where he said even Hit Man (a crowdpleaser that only cost 10m to make and had RAVE reviews...the major studios didn't wanna task a risk on for buying). 

You can't blame the suits at the major studios. We are living in an age whereas even Marvel and Star Wars can fail. The studios just become more risk-averse. 

1 hour ago, BigBoxOfficeBucks said:

You can't blame the suits at the major studios. We are living in an age whereas even Marvel and Star Wars can fail. The studios just become more risk-averse. 

I actually can, and do, blame them

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Macleod said:

https://deadline.com/2024/05/francis-ford-coppola-megalopolis-new-deals-1235927358/

Everywhere else...except for the USA!  Very odd...  Diminishes my faith further in US studios/distributors...

Why? 

Why would one of the majors want this movie? Coppola's last 2 films went straight to DVD and they came out back in 2009 and 2011. The film has a horrible reception and Coppola's name seems to be doing a lot of heavy lifting when it comes to appeal.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AJG said:

The film has a horrible reception and Coppola's name seems to be doing a lot of heavy lifting when it comes to appeal.

It doesn't? Let's not confuse mixed reception with horrible, it's not the same thing. Plus from what I gather foreign reviews are much more positive than US ones with many "masterpiece" raves, so it's definitely not some panned across the board film, it has its champions.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1