cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

14 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yes. 

I disagree with one of these personally as MoM is upper tier MCU for me but audience reception wise yes, agreed entirely, MoM had worse reception. We should stop taking bait because reality will always be ignored.

Edited by YM!

26 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The DCEU’s highest grossing film came out literally after all of those were released. How are they to blame for Shazam 2?

How is Cars 2 to blame for Cars 3 and Planes bombing? I say that as a defender of both BvS and Cars 2.

20 minutes ago, Jeight said:

The quality is more or less the same that it was 5-6 years ago.  You mean to tell me that Multiverse of madness is that much worse than far from home or ant man and the wasp or captain marvel?  All of those are in the 80s range. 

The quality is about the same.  The critics are much more fed up with the genre

I personally loved MoM... but the audiences and critics didn´t like it. Far From Home was very well received and the two other was also generally liked. Our own views of the movies doesn´t matter on the overall consensus. I don´t agree with it but the consensus was that MoM was not good and disappointed. Also Captain Marvel had a pretty low RT score compared to the rest of the MCU Phase 3 so it ain´t like it was seen as a top tier MCU movie.

You can´t argue that critics are more fed up with the genre when audiences react exactly the same as the critics to the movies. More so the critics loved movies like TSS, Shang-Chi and NWH. If you had a big gap between critics and audiences then I would get the argument but that isn´t the case. By all accounts we have, there is no doubt that the quality of cbm movie have deteriorated rapidly the last 2-3 years.

Edited by thajdikt

34 minutes ago, Jeight said:

The quality is more or less the same that it was 5-6 years ago.

Lmfao

35 minutes ago, Jeight said:

You mean to tell me that Multiverse of madness is that much worse than far from home or ant man and the wasp or captain marvel?

YES

42 minutes ago, Jeight said:

The quality is more or less the same that it was 5-6 years ago.  You mean to tell me that Multiverse of madness is that much worse than far from home or ant man and the wasp or captain marvel?  All of those are in the 80s range. 

The quality is about the same.  The critics are much more fed up with the genre

troll harder kid 😂 

• Like 1

Please stop talking about MCU stuff in a DC movie thread.

Anyway, I Ihink there's still a chance Shazam 2 stays fresh...but it'll be an "edge fresh" rather than like 75% or whatever would get people interested in actually seeing it. The reviews won't be the draw. Which means that it may not be a stinker like Morbius but it won't be compelling either.

I really don't get why they didn't bother having Sivana and Mister Mind be the villains this time if Black Adam was off the table. "3 evil witches do bad stuff" seems like a throwaway Power Rangers episode, not a movie most people would shell out actual money for.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, YM! said:

How is Cars 2 to blame for Cars 3 and Planes bombing? I say that as a defender of both BvS and Cars 2.

If Aquaman was a hit coming after BVS, SS and JL how are the reception to those movies responsible for Shazam 2 bombing? It doesn’t make sense to me. Do you mind explaining why that only affects some movies but not others?

58 minutes ago, Jeight said:

You mean to tell me that Multiverse of madness is that much worse than far from home or ant man and the wasp or captain marvel? 

Considering none of those movies A.)  sidelined their lead character for some new addition and B.) ruined character of the 2nd lead and C.) lacked a climax

Yes.

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If Aquaman was a hit coming after BVS, SS and JL how are the reception to those movies responsible for Shazam 2 bombing? It doesn’t make sense to me. Do you mind explaining why that only affects some movies but not others?

Aquaman was fun and not like the others, was the major piece of the holiday in which Venom was the last big PG-13 action tentpole. Aquaman was also liked beforehand iirc. It's like asking why did No Way Home or more likely Guardians 3 do well after Eternals and Quantumania.

The non-JL heroes struggled imho because of lack of trust (though Max did a number on it, look at the drop from SS to TSS) and/or bad marketing (Shazam is one of my favorite recent CBMs but this looked awful (also for some reason 95% of WB family aiming films end up underperforming (most of WAG library, Shazam, Pikachu, etc)). 

30 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I really don't get why they didn't bother having Sivana and Mister Mind be the villains this time if Black Adam was off the table. "3 evil witches do bad stuff" seems like a throwaway Power Rangers episode, not a movie most people would shell out actual money for.

Lol if THAT had been the plot of Wonder Woman 1984, that film would have been far better received.

A talking caterpillar wouldn't have saved a Shazam film that is part of a cinematic universe about to be reset. This was doomed since the Gunn announcement was made. Maybe it would have done better coming out in the Christmas period and taking advantage of Way of Water spillovers.

Edited by Spidey Freak

19 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Lol if THAT had been the plot of Wonder Woman 1984, that film would have been far better received.

A talking caterpillar wouldn't have saved a Shazam film that is part of a cinematic universe about to be reset. This was doomed since the Gunn announcement was made. Maybe it would have done better coming out in the Christmas period and taking advantage of Way of Water spillovers.

Avatar 2 would have eaten it alive. "3 weeks before Mario" in theory is better than "1 week after Avatar" but people have already decided Mario will be the big movie. Puss 2 would have eaten into its family audience even more.

Wonder Woman 2 was on Patty Jenkins indulgence just as the Shazam universe was doomed by the efforts to keep Rock "extremely badass".

Well, the kids twisted my arm...I'm in for 6 discount Tuesday tickets.  $5.50 was my max for this movie, so discount Tuesday got me in.

First movie since Plane.  Although I've already got Easter tickets for Mario and believe that DnD might be in my future before May, too (not sure I'm gonna fit it in between these 2 movies)...

Edit to Add: Since I've now got low expectations, here's hoping it surprises like Plane, where I had lower than low expectations and was happily surprised...

Edited by TwoMisfits