cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

8 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I generally agree with your point, audiences are starting to expect better, and they should. But I don't really see what Flash is bringing that's new. It's doing a similar thing to NWH, only with a legacy character that younger audiences aren't as familiar with, in a much less popular universe, and a leading character that (this incarnation at least) isn't well liked and was last seen in an unpopular movie.

Other than that though, your point is good. Mediocrity is just not gonna be accepted for the forseeable future. "Good enough" isn't anymore, if you know what I mean.

The FLash might indeed be bringing something new to the charecter, but selling that to an audience might be not so easy.

It does have a problem with 'I just saw the Flash on TV for the last few years; I don't feel like paying bucks to see him again" attitude.

I am making no judgements about the movie, but saying the charecter has just been used in a fairly long runnning TV show, and it's often diffcult to convince audeinces to pay money for something they think they have seen for free.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The FLash might indeed be bringing something new to the charecter, but selling that to an audience might be not so easy.

It does have a problem with 'I just saw the Flash on TV for the last few years; I don't feel like paying bucks to see him again" attitude.

I am making no judgements about the movie, but saying the charecter has just been used in a fairly long runnning TV show, and it's often diffcult to convince audeinces to pay money for something they think they have seen for free.

CW's ratings aren't all that. I don't know many people that have seen the Flash series. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And what did we learn today, kids?

That predicting a movie's reception based on the early reviews and comments is a big mistake. The early reviews are all from small websites, which pretty much are "geek" sites and are prodispsed to like "geeky" films, and give a very skweered view of how a movie it going to be received.

Those geek sites have no business being a part of RT.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

CW's ratings aren't all that. I don't know many people that have seen the Flash series. 

Those CW DC shows are bizarrely popular in some random European countries.

Edited by AJG

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Will history look back at 2023 as the year the comic book movie craze gave way to the video game movie craze?

Many of the biggest video game properties have already been ruined multiple times by Hollywood though.

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Will history look back at 2023 as the year the comic book movie craze gave way to the video game movie craze?

I hope we get away from CB craze but I would wait for Guardians to have disappointing presales to confirm CB craze is over. Ant-man despite the crazy run had a humongous presales start that was  bigger than Maverick or Avatar. Of course its just for couple of days of craziness. Let us see how Guardians does before killing the genre. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I hope we get away from CB craze but I would wait for Guardians to have disappointing presales to confirm CB craze is over. Ant-man despite the crazy run had a humongous presales start that was  bigger than Maverick or Avatar. Of course its just for couple of days of craziness. Let us see how Guardians does before killing the genre. 

Guardians, Across and The Flash are the major tests but I'm not thinking it's so much fatigue but rather bad CBM fatigue.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

The craze being over doesn't mean every CBM will be a disappointment or flop. There will still be big CBMs but they will be fewer and farther between and an overall decline.

Edited by CaptNathanBrittles

1 hour ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

I have been saying this the past several months. The Last of Us + Mario are about to be a major shift moment for the industry on par with Spidey 02 imo. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And speaking of 02, this movie is about to throw us back to when major big budget CBMs could still bomb as hard as sub 150 WW… 

What was the last one? Fant4stic came to mind but that made over 160M.