cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

This was meant to shoot in July 2020. They could start filming in Q1 2021 and it'd still be on track for April 2022. This date change is so incredibly confusing, this isn't gonna be a VFX monster like Avatar or anything.

the conceit of shazam is ‘little kid in a superhero’s body’. i thought they were  pushing it in the first one where shazam!billy acted like a five year old on a sugar high at disneyland while teen!billy was far more muted and angsty, but i think the dissonance will feel worse when teen!billy looks far older. it just won’t make sense for him to act so childish anymore. and him acting childish is the whole appeal of these movies

Edited by snarkmachine

It was the only new date for the DC films that I didn't liked. The four months gap between this and Black Adam was the smartest thing that WB could have done.

Almost four years from the first film is too much. And I still can't see the problem with the kids being played by a bit older actors as if it is something unusual in Hollywood. There is a lot of worst cases out there that no one bothers with.

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

With Mission Impossible 8 moving to this date, I can see this movie going to pre-Thanksgiving weekend now.

This is of course on the assumption that Aquaman gets pushed and Avatar doesn't, but this honestly could work as a December release for families. It really was kind of weird to me watching the first movie in April and have a running gag about a mall Santa and have the climax take place in a Christmas carnival.

Just now, Eric Atreides said:

This is of course on the assumption that Aquaman gets pushed and Avatar doesn't, but this honestly could work as a December release for families. It really was kind of weird to me watching the first movie in April and have a running gag about a mall Santa and have the climax take place in a Christmas carnival.

Avatar isn't 2022, you are thinking of a potential Star Wars movie in 2022 (which again, is still up in the air). The scenario you are talking of would require Avatar to be pushed a year.

Just now, grim22 said:

Avatar isn't 2022, you are thinking of a potential Star Wars movie in 2022 (which again, is still up in the air). The scenario you are talking of would require Avatar to be pushed a year.

What I'm saying is that Avatar might be pushed back next year too, dependent on how long this virus will last. They were still filming some of the live-action, non-mocap stuff for the movie. So assuming that Aquaman gets delayed and Avatar doesn't, Shazam could slot into December (I have strong doubts that Star Wars movie is coming in 2022 as well, for a myriad of reasons)

3 minutes ago, belblazer said:

They shouldn't have moved this. The april date was good.

They could always move it back to April though. If it shoots Q1 2021 it'll have the same pipeline as the first Shazam!

On 4/21/2020 at 1:55 AM, TMP said:

This was meant to shoot in July 2020. They could start filming in Q1 2021 and it'd still be on track for April 2022. This date change is so incredibly confusing, this isn't gonna be a VFX monster like Avatar or anything.

I feel like it's two things: one being that Black Adam will get delayed as well, or Spider-Verse 2 opening a week later, which is direct competition, and will probably have more hype and buzz. Maybe a combination of both.

1 minute ago, Eric Atreides said:

I feel like it's two things: one being that Black Adam will get delayed as well, or Spider-Verse 2 opening a week later, which is direct competition, and will probably have more hype and buzz. Maybe a combination of both.

Could always put Shazam! 2 in June since it sounds like it's a lot further along in development than Flash; they were supposed to shoot this in July before the death flu hit.

It's just so... weird to me that WB shoots these movies so far in advance, considering they're not even VFX monsters like Avatar or something

Edited by TMP

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

They should move this to October and make it a more horror themed movie. The first one is kinda terrifying tbh. Or of they are gonna keep it set during Christmas, it can still do well with a pre-Thanksgiving release as @grim22 said. Would have pretty good legs that way.

We are so far away from any sort of normalcy returning that for now they need to do nothing. Look at release dates and stuff when productions can resume.

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Could always put Shazam! 2 in June since it sounds like it's a lot further along in development than Flash; they were supposed to shoot this in July before the death flu hit.

It's just so... weird to me that WB shoots these movies so far in advance, considering they're not even VFX monsters like Avatar or something

Shazam 2 is mostly so the kids don't look dramatically older between sequels. 

Black Adam could feasibly shoot early next year and still be release in time for December 2021. 

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

That's just been the way the studio has operated. Have the product in place and then plan marketing around it, and having things ready means you can plug holes as needed as well.

Even WB award season movies, minus Eastwood are complete well in advance.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That's just been the way the studio has operated. Have the product in place and then plan marketing around it, and having things ready means you can plug holes as needed as well.

Even WB award season movies, minus Eastwood are complete well in advance.

Disney are similar, Cruella for example was shot last year and isn't out until next May. 

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

They should move this to October and make it a more horror themed movie. The first one is kinda terrifying tbh. Or of they are gonna keep it set during Christmas, it can still do well with a pre-Thanksgiving release as @grim22 said. Would have pretty good legs that way.

Marvel has a movie coming out in October 2022.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

Well, Spidey just moved to October