terrestrial

Thursday 11 April Shazam! $2.373m | Pet Semat. 1.226 | CM .886 | Dumbo .8806 | US .8606

42 minutes ago, Matthew said:

FOR ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING SHAZAM IS DOING GOOD. 

MY QUESTION :

IN SEQUEL THEY WANT TO EXPLORE SEVEN WONDERLANDS.. IF MOVIE EARNS LESS THAN 400M, HOW WILL THEY JUSTIFY THIS HEAVY BUDGET. 

Ant man 2 saw rise in budget because Ant man made a healthy profit for Marvel. 

Hmm...your posts are starting to sound like anti-DC concern trolling...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Yes it can.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman prove that it can, but clearly the DCEU has to have the right movie at the right time.

Shazam! is certainly the right movie, but it was not released at the right time.

Unfortunately (and it pains me to say this), I am going to have to admit that yes, being sandwiched between the one-two punch of Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame did Shazam! no favors.

Exactly, and I can't believe there are people out there thinking that End Game has no impact to Shazam and Shazam can have 3 weeks full run for its own. 

Amazing Grace ... ... Aretha Franklin's legendary 1972 performance released in theaters for the first time on April 5

Edited by terrestrial

a few more popped up, for the drops...

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 (1) Shazam! Warner Bros. $2,375,000 -9% 4,217 $563   $69,775,140 7
- (9) Hotel Mumbai Bleecker Street $138,800 -18% 930 $149   $7,161,208 21
- (14) The Beach Bum Neon $51,352 -22% 1,055 $49   $3,279,817 14
- (15) Gloria Bell A24 $43,121 -9% 642 $67   $5,195,132 35
- (-) Apollo 11 Neon $23,488 -4% 187 $126   $8,179,957 42
- (-) Amazing Grace Neon $9,684 -12% 8 $1,211   $239,956 7
- (-) High Life A24 $9,151 -13% 4 $2,288   $136,459 7
- (-) Arctic Bleecker Street $3,135 +199% 49 $64   $2,343,937 70
- (-) Climax A24 $1,081 -1% 6 $180   $817,339 42

I just read through this thread. I’m confused. How is Shazam underperforming domestically? It opened a bit higher than projected and is looking at a 55% drop. It’s not under performing nor is it a flop. 

Having said that, I think a fair question to ask is what could have WB done differently in terms of either marketing/release date to have their movie make more money similar to what other CBM make now a days. I thought an Ant Man type run would have happened but that’s not looking likely. That doesn’t mean Shazam isn’t doing well or it’s under performing. But I do think a fair question to ask is why didn’t Shazam click the way other CBM have clicked with audiences in the last couple years. I think WB will end up looking at home video sales to see if the movie catches a much bigger audience there (like Batman Begins) and then deciding what to do with the sequel. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I just read through this thread. I’m confused. How is Shazam underperforming domestically? It opened a bit higher than projected and is looking at a 55% drop. It’s not under performing nor is it a flop. 

Having said that, I think a fair question to ask is what could have WB done differently in terms of either marketing/release date to have their movie make more money similar to what other CBM make now a days. I thought an Ant Man type run would have happened but that’s not looking likely. That doesn’t mean Shazam isn’t doing well or it’s under performing. But I do think a fair question to ask is why didn’t Shazam click the way other CBM have clicked with audiences in the last couple years. I think WB will end up looking at home video sales to see if the movie catches a much bigger audience there (like Batman Begins) and then deciding what to do with the sequel. 

I’m not sure of it either. Isn’t 55% pretty solid for a first timer? It’s right there with ant man. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nova said:

I honestly think the release date is the issue. They should have pushed it for August like Suicide Squad or December like Aquaman.

To be stuck in-between 2 of the year's most anticipated superhero movies is a bad move imo. EndGame's presales created more news and buzz and totally covered up Shazam's marketing in its final week.

And anyone who has seen the movie knows that Shazam is set during Christmas....

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Having said that, I think a fair question to ask is what could have WB done differently in terms of either marketing/release date to have their movie make more money similar to what other CBM make now a days. I thought an Ant Man type run would have happened but that’s not looking likely. That doesn’t mean Shazam isn’t doing well or it’s under performing. But I do think a fair question to ask is why didn’t Shazam click the way other CBM have clicked with audiences in the last couple years. 

Very fair and reasoned post. No hyperbole or hyperventilating (real or otherwise). You asked a great question. I can venture a guess as to how the movie could have exceeded expectations/current projections. Perhaps, WB could have upped the budget and added a more well known actor/actress to the cast. Perhaps 10 million more  may have paid for an actor or actress who had more name recognition. I don’t necessarily mean someone in shazam’s role, but even someone in a support role. Perhaps, they could have introduced the Rock’s character? Who knows? As I previously wrote though, no matter what this movie does financially from here on out, the narrative has been set in the general public that it is a hit; and DC needed the critical acclaim as much as, if not more than an over performance. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

I thought an Ant Man type run would have happened but that’s not looking likely.

It is doing as badly as Ant-Man tbh, since it cost $40M less.

The release date was fine, it has three weeks to itself. With great reviews and audience scores, the "low" box office just proves that the movie didn't have a lot of appeal (or as much appeal as other CBMs), maybe because it has teenage leads. And an actual remake of Big would probably flop - comedy isn't very popular anymore.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I honestly think the release date is the issue. They should have pushed it for August like Suicide Squad or December like Aquaman.

being stuck in between 2 of the year's most anticipated superhero movies is a bad movie imo. EndGame's presales created more news and buzz and totally covered up Shazam's marketing in its final week.

And anyone who has seen the movie knows that Shazam is set during Christmas....

Release date and lack of promotion I agree. No one is calling it a flop besides trolls perhaps. 

• Like 1

MGM Starts Climb Toward ‘Tomb Raider 2,’ Amy Jump To Write Script

Tomb Raider grossed $274 million worldwide

if that gets a new movie, ppl here should really stop to be concerned about Shazam!

Edited by terrestrial
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

How appropriate in context of analyzing Shazam! Tomb Raider made 274M WW. It had a budget of 94 million (really close to Shazam!) and it is getting a sequel. Shazam may be at or close to 270M by the end of its second weekend.

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 1

Just now, Ms Lady Hawk said:

How appropriate in context of analyzing Shazam! Tomb Raider made 274M WW. It has a budget of 94 million (really close to Shazam!) and it is getting a sequel. Shazam may be at or close to 270M by the end of its second weekend.

Tbf...MGM vs Warner Brothers isn’t exactly a fair comparison