terrestrial

Thursday 11 April Shazam! $2.373m | Pet Semat. 1.226 | CM .886 | Dumbo .8806 | US .8606

Just now, LordNox said:

Shazam was the first time DC tried doing what Marvel does all the time; Introducing new superheroes and make them instant hits. What Shazam is showing is that at the moment the DCEU is not popular enough for DC to be able to do the same.

The best strategy is probably for DC to milk Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman a few years and then when the franchise is more popular introduce the more unknown characters into the universe.

I think it has more to do with what you are offering. 

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

If Disney made a 100 million movie that was on pace for 350 WW would anyone call that good?  It's not a flop though. If one wants a to see a flop, look at Dumbo.

However much we want DC to be at the same popularity level as Marvel the fact is that its not. We can debate the reasons why that is the case but the divide is pretty big.

1 minute ago, LordNox said:

Shazam was the first time DC tried doing what Marvel does all the time; Introducing new superheroes and make them instant hits. What Shazam is showing is that at the moment the DCEU is not popular enough for DC to be able to do the same.

The best strategy is probably for DC to milk Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman a few years and then when the franchise is more popular introduce the more unknown characters into the universe.

Inaccurate. Shazam is going to perform on par (budget/profit) with the early Marvel intro movies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Why do you scream so much.

It's BKBitits 

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Inaccurate. Shazam is going to perform on par (budget/profit) with the early Marvel intro movies. 

Not to mention it's cheaper than those movies as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Exactly, I think many people forget how much Captain America: TFA made (370 M), The Incredible Hulk (263 M). Ultimately, Shazam is not a super well known character, he's been out of the spotlight for a while, sure, he's in Young Justice, animated stuff, but he hasn't had an extensive comics run for a while until Johns brought it back to life and seriously, how unfortunate that timing is with Endgame starting selling tickets and being the main thing on peoples' minds. :D 

Now, you throw The Rock in the equation, giving Shazam a boost in popularity, not to mention folks who will discover the film on home video, then they'll probably make another JL film where Shazam can interact with everyone, boom, there you go. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Exactly, I think many people forget how much Captain America: TFA made (370 M), The Incredible Hulk (263 M). Ultimately, Shazam is not a super well known character, he's been out of the spotlight for a while, sure, he's in Young Justice, animated stuff, but he hasn't had an extensive comics run for a while until Johns brought it back to life. 

Now, you throw The Rock in the equation, giving Shazam a boost in popularity, not to mention folks who will discover the film on home video, then they'll probably make another JL film where Shazam can interact with everyone, boom, there you go. 

Wouldn't use the hulk. That was an outright flop

2 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Exactly, I think many people forget how much Captain America: TFA made (370 M), The Incredible Hulk (263 M). Ultimately, Shazam is not a super well known character, he's been out of the spotlight for a while, sure, he's in Young Justice, animated stuff, but he hasn't had an extensive comic run for a while until Johns brought it back to life. 

It's comparable to Ant-Man which did fine but was lower than GOTG the year before. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I think it has more to do with what you are offering. 

With Shazam its clearly more about the audience reception to the universe its connected to. Had Shazam been a Marvel move and referenced Marvel characters chances are that it would easily have passed 500M WW. Shazam is a movie with over 90 % on RT and an A cinemascore rating. Very few such superhero movies underperform at the box office and with Shazam i think the state of its universe hinders the movie rather than elevates it.

• Like 1

Just now, Rebeccas said:

If Shazam does $150m domestically, that's decent enough. The OS performance is not great though considering how insane the growth has been internationally for superhero movies over the last decade.

I think WB/New Line will still make a sequel, raise the ante a bit and add elements more appealing for OS audiences.

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

If Shazam does $150m domestically, that's decent enough. The OS performance is not great though considering how insane the growth has been internationally for superhero movies over the last decade.

The biggest growth has been in Asia where they hate the movie so that obviously hinders it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think WB/New Line will still make a sequel, raise the ante a bit and add elements more appealing for OS audiences.

The Rock will be a huge asset clearly. This is a largely no-name cast for international audiences and the DC brand is hit/miss.

3 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Early Marvel movies sure, Shazam is essentially Phase 2 though. It's not really comparable to Ant-Man, it'll end up some 150mil lower in all likelihood.

I think the MCU and the DCEU is the opposite. For the DCEU the period when they got the most hype and biggest openings was at the early stage of the universe. After that both the hype and the openings have been getting smaller. For the MCU the interest and hype have only grown every new MCU phase. So the DCEU started with great interest and hype and declined from there.

So now its probably fair to compare the DCEU with the MCU phase 1 in audience interest and hype for the movies.