sfran43

The Calm Before The Storm Weekend Thread: Estimates - Curse Of LaLlorona $26.51M | Shazam $17.34M | Breakthrough 11.0M | CM $9.10M

1 hour ago, a2k said:

16 locked for Shazam this weekend I guess

6.0 (-3%)

3.8 (-37%)

= 16.0, 120 cume

Thinking 16.5 will happen.

That is a great hold for Shazam. Both CM and Shazam are kicking ass this week.

• Like 1

Just now, cdsacken said:

That is a great hold for Shazam. Both CM and Shazam are kicking ass this week.

Would be nice if they continued holding well after the inevitable big drops next weekend though it'll be difficult holding onto theaters with 3 new releases opening every weekend in May.

• Like 1

I am pretty heavily ensconced in the horror community in the UK and I don't know anyone remotely interested in La Llorona from within that group - the only CU film that gets any rep over here is Annabelle: Conjuring. From what I can tell outside of a handful of genuine rabid fans it's the same in the US as well.

Which isn't meant to be a diss. What I'm really saying is that it's a pretty remarkable testament of the Conjuring Universe formula that it manages to hit these injections into the wider non-horror audience that just completely bypasses aficionados of the genre. There is clearly a specific fan base for these movies and they reliably show up and keep getting delivered what they want.

The cinemascore is a testament to that. Far above vastly, vastly superior recent horror movies. There's maybe an art in refusing to play with conventions and tropes and just working within the parameters of hitting the ball down the middle of the fairway.   

37 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, have the worried Shazam fans relaxed yet?:)  It's been a good week of weekdays, and it's gonna be a great weekend hold...and then a great Monday...followed by decent weekdays til Thursday...and then a rough weekend before some recovery for 2 weeks after Endgame...

Aka - it's doing just fine in its spot:)...

shazam fans worried = no................,shazam trolls worried = yes................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I'd love to see that too. I'd love Shazam to hit 180 DOM

hmm...even optimistically don't know how it can add much more than low-160s:

17 weekend could give it 121 this weekend.

4.5 on Mon-Thu and 7.5 FSS gives 12 for 133 cume

Then a very healthy 4x the FSS gives 133 + 4*7.5 = 163 dom

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Would be nice if they continued holding well after the inevitable big drops next weekend though it'll be difficult holding onto theaters with 3 new releases opening every weekend in May.

I can’t see Captain Marvel dropping less than the -4% Black Panther did when Infinity War opened. The other Disney film increased

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

I'd love to see that too. I'd love Shazam to hit 180 DOM

I don’t think it’ll be making another $60m off a $15m 3rd weekend, that seems unreasonable, especially considering it’ll probably drop 60%+ next weekend. 

CM:   

~8M weekend, 12.5M added Sun-Sun   

Next 7 days another 12.5M   

After that 7.5M (-40%)    

Reat of run 9M   

Total 428    

Could go higher without too much trouble tbh.

Shazam:

~16M weekend  (cume 120)  

7M weekdays (127)  

7M weekend (134)   

Rest of run 21 for total 155   

Lots of optimism there.

Edited by Thanos Legion