sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

rank the passable video game movies:

1. Detective Pikachu

2. Resident Evil: Retribution

3. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

4. Tomb Raider

5. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

6. Resident Evil: Afterlife

7. Assassin's Creed

the rest are either bad or borderline unwatchable

You know that list is terrible when all the movies, except for two (Detective Pikachu and Tomb Raider) considered passable are actually terrible. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

1. Detective Pikachu

4. Tomb Raider

7. Assassin's Creed

Prince Of Persia was a steaming pile 

The Resident Evil films are such a waste. 

Tomb Raider ones were fun 

• Like 2

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

You know that list is terrible when all the movies, except for two (Detective Pikachu and Tomb Raider) considered passable are actually terrible. 

I genuinely enjoy Retribution/Prince of Persia and think Tomb Raider, Resident Evil Afterlife/Final Chapter and Assassin's Creed are fun enough.  they're not great, but the bar is set pretty low for video game movies so I'll take what I can get.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I'd be shocked if opened under $100m  unless the reviews are dreadful (would really be surprised by that though with Feige and Zhao)

She's a long standing Avengers, she's coming off a great appearance in AEG that's going to do about $2.8b which means more potential fans for her solo than even before AEG.  My guess right now it will closer to Raganork, GOTG2 numbers than Strange or AM. 

Oh, agree. Totally. 100M as the floor is way more realistic. Hope for the best, expect the worst, you know. 

I am just already exhausted at the think pieces about the death of the MCU if this opens 100M or less.  Haters are gonna pounce. And then there is ScarJo having to get through a solo press conference without pulling a ScarJo. (I think she can, but again; see the Mel Brooks quote.)

All I see is wank for the next year, and just... wake me up when Zhao’s Eternals hits. 😂😂

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

1. Detective Pikachu

4. Tomb Raider

7. Assassin's Creed

Mortal Kombat is #1 based off song alone.

Chesty Jake #2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why do people think Endgame had such a big drop this week? Last week kinda made sense given movies tend to have bigger drops in their second weekend but I expected a bigger hold this time around. Was Pikachu just too big of a release not to have an effect?

Just now, That One Guy said:

I'm giving you the not cool because Resident Evil Apocalypse is Warcraft-tier

I never saw Warcraft and don't know your take on it.

And while I concede that it's a bad movie, it also has Jared Harris. (WATCH CHERNOBYL, HBO on MONDAYS, 9 EST/8PM CST)

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I'd be shocked if opened under $100m  unless the reviews are dreadful (would really be surprised by that though with Feige and Zhao)

Chloe Zhao isn't doing Black Widow...

2 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why do people think Endgame had such a big drop this week? Last week kinda made sense given movies tend to have bigger drops in their second weekend but I expected a bigger hold this time around. Was Pikachu just too big of a release not to have an effect?

With a 357m OW, your box office run will behave very differently than unusual. 

• Like 1