Joyous Legion

Disney+ MCU: The Falcon & The Winter Soldier | Featuring Captain Ughmerica and Battlestar Galactica

Now now

No trashin Sharon for riddin the show off Karli. 

:bravo::worthy:

She's dead yeah so I'll turn a blind eye to ridiculous apologizing that Sam was forced to do by the script. Ding Dong!

While not as iconically bad as Marion Cotillard's death scene in TDKR, Kellyman's last words and keelover were pretty bad in their own right. :hahaha:

Big set up for Season 2 with Sharon reveal and Walker getting the new colors.

Edited by Valonqar

Finale was good, it was very play by the numbers and I don't think there was a single thing that happened that none of us didn't already know was going to happen in the finale, which I guess is... fine? 

The Isaiah Bradley scene made me tear up, it was very moving. Why we didn't get more of them, and more racial social commentary in this show is beyond me - that is so much more interesting. The Flag Smashers arc ended up a whimper, extremely forgettable, boring and not very compelling. 

Whilst I like Sharon, she feels a little one dimensional to me because the writers are trying to be so coy with her character that she ends up coming across as just completely unrealistic.

John Walker seems like he's off to form a Thunderbolts team w/ Valentina, probably alongside Zemo and Yelena?

Edited by Wormow
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wormow said:

Whilst I like Sharon, she feels a little one dimensional to me because the writers are trying to be so coy with her character that she ends up coming across as just completely unrealistic.

I have heard rumors that her storyline was different. Anyways hope she is handled well in future. Sharon has so much potential. 

Now we wait for interviews to know what changed after covid. 

12 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I have heard rumors that her storyline was different. Anyways hope she is handled well in future. Sharon has so much potential. 

Now we wait for interviews to know what changed after covid. 

That is very true. I think it's pretty obvious and from what we've been hearing they had to rewrite the Flag Smasher stuff extensively to avoid comparisons to the pandemic, hence why their motivations and scenes end up so... clunky and unclear throughout? 

• Like 1

More thoughts

really like that Sam kept his Falcon wings so his suit isn't a carbon copy Cap suit. It has identity.

Now that the origin story is out of the way, what they set up for the next season looks much more promising. I don't know comics but I guess they had to use Flagsmashers somewhere  so better right now to get them over and done with (what turd they were ugh!) than have them stink up later seasons. 

I think that Sharon's gonna be great in the future but she suffered from typical mystery box problems here.

While the finale was by numbers as already mentioned by others, I'm glad that they didn't try to subvert expectations in stupid ways (keep Karli alive, make Walker an unreedemable villain). So I'm happy how it turned out. 

Overall, solid Season that could have been better but it seems that set up a more focused story going forward.

Finale was ok, the ending parts saved it. Overall I quite liked the show but wish the ending had been a bit...idk more? I felt the finale was definitely the weakest episode of the series. 

Spoiler

What I liked: The new suit was great, I liked that Walker got some form of redemption, Bucky spilling the secret, Isaiah Bradley stuff at the end, Sam really owning the role as Captain America and giving that speech. 

What I didn't like: The action felt very rote and weirdly paced even compared to previous episodes. Sharon as the Power Broker was as dumb and nonsensical as I expected. Overall it just didn't have the impact of previous episodes until the end. In previous episodes I liked that Sam was willing to negotiate with Karli but this took it too far with him refusing to fight her. He is a soldier and he has never been against fighting.  

Overall I give this show an 8.5-9 as I really loved episodes 1,2,4,5 but 3 and 6 definitely prevent it from being top-tier MCU, dragging it more to mid-tier. Not sure about exact ranking but definitely above WandaVision. 

Edited by Menor

1 hour ago, Wormow said:

That is very true. I think it's pretty obvious and from what we've been hearing they had to rewrite the Flag Smasher stuff extensively to avoid comparisons to the pandemic, hence why their motivations and scenes end up so... clunky and unclear throughout? 

That would make a lot of sense. I was giving the benefit of the doubt until the finale but definitely both Sharon and the FS had pretty clunky storylines. 

Too many things were rushed in that finale.

Spoiler

Walker flipping back into a hero cracking jokes happened to fast. Bucky confessing to the old man was rushed as well. The Flagsmasher stuff wasn't done well throughout the season and Karli didn't come off sympathetic at all despite Sam's speech at the end. Not even going to get into the Power Broker stuff. 

The Isiah and Sam stuff were the highlights and Sam's new suit looks awesome. 

Still a solid show overall. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

Hmmm, that felt very rushed.

I’d been fully on board with the show up to this episode and then it felt like it went off a cliff quality wise. I liked the Sam becoming Captain America stuff, him throwing the shield through the window and flying into the building was a great entrance, but everything else felt like it had been rushed, particularly Walker going from cold blooded psycho killing people with Cap’s shield to suddenly back slapping Bucky and smiling. I’m glad Walker is still around because he’s an interesting character and I liked Wyatt Russell’s performance, but it felt like they went through that arc far too quickly.

The Flagsmashers are probably the worst Marvel villains for me though (yes, even worse than Malekith), not least because of Erin Kellyman’s absolutely atrocious acting that took me out of the show everytime she appeared and opened her mouth. She just wasn’t believable and was a rare miss for Marvel’s usually flawless casting. The best part of Sam’s speech at the end was when he confirmed that she was definitely dead.

Overall though I liked the show for the most part, it soared when it was focused on the Sam/Bucky dynamic and I’d definitely watch a follow up Captain America and The Winter Soldier show if they did it, but the last episode of this season let it down, and WandaVision was definitely far superior for me (I’m surprised to see so much hate for WV in here to be honest, I thought it was consistently strong all the way through).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ranking Time. 

1. Avengers: Infinity Wars
  2. Avengers: Endgame
  3. Thor: Ragnarok
  4. Civil War
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
  6. Iron Man
  7. Spider-man: Homecoming
  8. Doctor Strange
  9. Black Panther
  10. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
  12. Ant-man
  13. Captain America: The First Avenger
  14. Ant-man and the Wasp
  15. Avengers: Assemble
  16. Captain Marvel
  17. WandaVision
  18. Thor
  19. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  20. Spider-man: Far From Home
  21. Iron Man 2
  22. Thor: Dark World
  23. Iron Man 3
  24. Incredible Hulk
  25. The Falcon and The Winter Soldier

1st one is fixated. Great.

2-4 are rotational. Great. Endgame is actually quite average film, but the sheer size and epicness it pulls, deserve to be #2.

5-9 are on similar level. Great.

10-14 are on similar level. Excellent.

15-18. Good.

19-22. Average but Good.

23. Average.

24. We don't talk about that.

25. Delete.

WORST Marvel tv show done, including the Netflix shows...so few redeeming parts and so many horrendously awful ones.

I mean, that last episode was the icing on the cake for a writing team that doesn't know how to write/plot/pace, to make reasonable character arcs to explain behaviors, and who just throws in "twists" just to do it and not b/c they make ANY sense.

Awful, awful show.  As bad as anything I've watched for superheroes.  And what they did to Sharon - F, F, F, F - she better be 

Spoiler

a Skrull replacement...and if she's not, maybe the writers see this and make her one now...

Overall series grade a D+, only b/c the fight scenes with Falcon were well done, I like Bucky and Zemo (even if his arc - well, just see above), Sam got a cool new suit in a reasonable way, and I enjoyed the ending scene...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

13 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ranking Time. 

1. Avengers: Infinity Wars
  2. Avengers: Endgame
  3. Thor: Ragnarok
  4. Civil War
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
  6. Iron Man
  7. Spider-man: Homecoming
  8. Doctor Strange
  9. Black Panther
  10. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
  12. Ant-man
  13. Captain America: The First Avenger
  14. Ant-man and the Wasp
  15. Avengers: Assemble
  16. Captain Marvel
  17. WandaVision
  18. Thor
  19. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  20. Spider-man: Far From Home
  21. Iron Man 2
  22. Thor: Dark World
  23. Iron Man 3
  24. Incredible Hulk
  25. The Falcon and The Winter Soldier

That bad, huh? 😳

Anyway, WV and FATWS were both really great - not perfect, but they had the right idea. Here's hoping the creative teams over at Marvel actually learn from audience reaction and what the final products ended up being to figure out a formula that works best for them (like the movies; seems like they really took a lot of the criticism from the earlier movies and learned from it for future movies).

Both series have 4-5 hours worth of content but at present they feel more like a long director's cut of a movie that needs a few extra edits and trims to feel more succinct, which I feel like kind of defeats the purpose of having a series and long run time that allows you to truly develop the characters and storylines. Too many scenes feel like complete filler (what purpose are they serving in the story? Is this pushing the story forward?) and too many scenes need a large portion of their dialogue trimmed, when those minutes spent can be spent on developing other parts of the story or characters. 

• Like 1