Legion Again

Disney+ MCU: The Falcon & The Winter Soldier | Featuring Captain Ughmerica and Battlestar Galactica

I was aboard the 3) train since SDCC 2019. Gotg, Winter Solider, or Ragnarok probably all would have been even better as series. The MCU is all about the characters, and more time just means more time with those characters and to develop them.    

I’d much rather the characters and storylines I most like get a series than a movie. The MCU, which was already the closest thing to TV found on big screens, can finally *really* lean into that.    

Qhich is not to say that I want zero movies, after all we’re getting like 12 products a year and you couldn’t even fit 12 shows!

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

Just now, WandaLegion said:

I do miss the big screen experience some though, I wish they would show these shows (in IMAX). Maybe even try some Thursday previews for the diehards.

Yeah I would have watched the first episode of Mando S2 in IMAX for sure, I’m sure a bunch of the MCU shows will look visually awesome.

I’m imagining the budgets of these projects will continue to rise as Disney sees their streaming service gain more traction and these shows are some of the biggest reason for keeping people engaged with the service. I’m really hoping Secret Invasion gets a couple of episodes close to $50m and we get some BIG cameos/appearances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamiem said:

Not generally someone that comes to mind as a reviewer but seems like the first episode at least is more like traditional MCU which if that's the case will be good for people who didn't vibe with WandaVision, bad for people that are expecting some more out there stuff and fine for the majority of people that just want more superhero goodness. 

Also not sure I'm going to agree with point 3 but I guess I'll find out in a couple of days. For what its worth Star Wars TV has proven TV can do wonders for a cinematic universe but just not sure I'm there with the MCU just yet, once they put out a show I love as much as Guardians, Ragnarok or Winter Soldier then I'll be at that point. 

I believe point 3. It's all about budget in the end. If it's done just like the films, it'll be just like the films except you can explore and do more because you're not beholden to 2.5-3 hours. 

I've been saying since they first confirmed Feige would be running the D+ series and that they would be proper MCU content, that I think the "Infinity War/Endgame" event of this saga will end up involving a major event series (we are talking like 2027 or something). 

• Like 2

I would love to really go all out structurally for the next saga capper. Like a series that leads into a movie on the earth side, 2nd series+movie for cosmic side, leading into a 3 hour capper. Release it March, May, July

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Also not sure I'm going to agree with point 3 but I guess I'll find out in a couple of days. 

There was then quite some criticism as they began with the MCU, including Avengers 1... it being like a tv-movie, not “cinematic’ enough, also during phase one it got s]described as a tv-series too (felt like criticism by fans of a certain non-Marvel trilogy in big parts, but a smaller part seemed to seriously felt like that). Maybe they felt like that too based on the possibility to do them as eg tv-miniseries too? The tons of hints of the possibilities to show more, and in especially more to add depth?

Maybe something in that multi-connections style invites the possibility of making them / adding to the whole... to a tv-series, or tv-mini-series?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think there's a place for both series and films. Not denying the length argument, but films will often have more efficient pacing. Theatrical releases also reach a wider audience than D+ series, which is probably essential for building interest in the next "big event" 

totally agree

My part was not meant as in either this or only that.

I meant the complexity of the story, but also the getting together of the solo characters, them all have their own films too, added depth, and might have given to some early on the feel its a bit like (based maybe on the time allowed to develop some of the characters) in a tv-series, where the arcs are sometimes focused on a single member of a team, even if often only to a degree.

As it was then even newer as a concept than today, the people being then even less used to it, and people tending to pick comparisons to details they are familiar with, I can understand the then idea of it being in a way similar to tv-series, even if many of those using that comparison did use it as a point to criticizes it, like its less.

As the whole grew more and more, the possibilities also opened up, see instead or in addition to big movies to introduce a character they can now, at least to,a,degree introduce them in eg mini-series, and pick later on a character or ten to develop their own movies, or exchange characters from one sub-world to another, see eg Thor and GotG meeting and so on.

In theory at least they can reduce a lot of origin story movies and jump more direct to the typical part 2 stories (I often prefer the origin stories, not meant as a devaluation, only added it as some here seem to prefer the parts after the origin movie over the usual part 1)

Nothing is more worth than the other as long as the story is told is a good ome and told in the complexity needed/preferred... in my POV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

When will the reviews come yet? No RT score yet, surprising given it's airing in 2 days.

Only found ‘first reactions are in’ article at RT

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-first-reactions-high-flying-movie-level-action-and-grounded-performances-lift-up-marvels-next-disney-series/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

Reviewing a series after 1 episode in 6 is like reviewing Endgame after 30 minutes. Futile. 

For real. I'll just take this as episode one reviews since that's literally what it is. I've always found RT for TV shows pointless, but it's good for a first episode indicator.

This is review proof for me though, the Cap movies are by far my favourites and I've been dying for more of these two together that we were robbed of in CW. It could be six episodes of them pointlessly shooting the shit and I'd be over the moon, so just gimme the goddamn show. Roll on 12 hours from now. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

Reviewing a series after 1 episode in 6 is like reviewing Endgame after 30 minutes. Futile. 

It’s so dumb. I wish review sites would just ban series reviews until the finale.    

But it’s not in their interest or the studios interest so...

I feel like this is about to explode, if the opening sequence is as good as they're hyping it then it's a done deal. The marketing strategy has been great (though I've been trying to watch as little as possible)

Have they confirmed this one as a limited series?