sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

21 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Just from what I have personally heard from friends that have seen both BATB and Aladdin, nobody gets the trashy reviews. Now, when I eventually see it and make up my own mind it may well be trash - but otherwise, it sounds like the critics just for some reason didn't click with it and or were expecting something completely different from the rest of the audience?

Also, that never ending discussion about a director's poor box office for a film - you who started it, you realize that can be applied to EVERY SINGLE director with more than 1 or 2 movies? Jon F is fine - his track record with Disney has been more than fine and his career overall has been solid - which again can be applied to a lot of directors once they cross more than 2 movies and have an actual record. We get you don't care for Cowboys & Aliens - welcome to the club, a lot of us don't. But the direction wasn't the issue, the poor / horrid script was the problem.

To a lesser degree the same thing happened with Venom. Critics acted like it was the worst movie every created. Audience thought it was fine, entertaining and all over the place.

17 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

i’m sure someone like AO scott has legitimate reasons for disliking aladdin, but rt let’s too many randoms with a wordpress blog become rt critics. those are the ones who are most susceptible to following buzz and wanting to feel like they’re part of the ‘in’ crowd by joining in on bashing something that seems to be universally reviled.

Please stop peddling this nonsense.  Not everyone has to agree with your opinion that Aladdin is good.  It’s not some conspiracy that the critics were just hating on it so they could “fit in,” some critics dislike it for their own reasons that they outline in their reviews.  What’s so hard to understand about that?

Critics aren't perfect. They give some horror flicks high praise when the audience hates it. Conversely they spooged hardcore on Aladdin. They were wrong and it's not the first or last time it will happen.

Just now, cdsacken said:

Critics aren't perfect. They give some horror flicks high praise when the audience hates it. Conversely they spooged hardcore on Aladdin. They were wrong and it's not the first or last time it will happen.

The job of a critic isn’t to validate the audience’s opinions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

True but collectively when they tell people a film is mediocre and broadly and decisively the audience disagrees they are wrong.

Like I don't love Titanic for several factors but would I even pretend to say this movie is just decent? No I would list the things I don't like, list all of the incredible aspects which are everywhere in the film and say you need to see it for yourself. 

This wasn't an outlier critic. They treated this film like it was worse than Detective Pikachu, clearly the audiences disagree.

3 hours ago, AlexMA said:

Wow, that's pretty crazy. So possibly $116 million 4-day. Let's keep in mind that's up from $104+ million Saturday morning with Friday numbers in mind. Definitely not willing to jump on the $300+ million hype train but I am starting to believe there might be a scenario in which Aladdin does end up there domestically.

If it can squeeze a bit more and get to $26.6 million Aladdin would overtake Fast & Furious 6 to become the 4th best Memorial Day weekend.

5 PM I am still getting 26ish comparing with Solo's drop for the day, depending on how night sales go. At minimum, I'm confident the drop will be significantly better than Solo's ( which was -24.4%).  EDIT: Slight error, more like 25.5 is what the number suggests for now (which would still be great). I will conservatively guess 25, wouldn't be surprised by anywhere 24-26 but I'm thinking the high end unless the sales completely die after 7 pm.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4

Just now, cdsacken said:

True but collectively when they tell people a film is mediocre and broadly and decisively the audience disagrees they are wrong.

Critics aren’t a collective.  They are their own individuals with their own sets of opinions.  If the audience thinks that they’re “wrong,” then that’s on them.  Doesn’t mean the critics are actually wrong just for having different opinions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Critics aren’t a collective.  They are their own individuals with their own sets of opinions.  If the audience thinks that they’re “wrong,” then that’s on them.  Doesn’t mean the critics are actually wrong just for having different opinions.

That's your opinion and to be frank I get why you feel that way. Your opinions are intense and crazy different than most so I would say that as well.

The audience isn't wrong it's made for them. Critics often forget that. 

This movie isn't for me but it will appeal to most is fair. Shitting all over it when it's clearly not bad is different.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, movieboner said:

I don't think Godzilla is tracking to a low 40 to 60. The first film opened to $90 million in 2014. I think a $100 million ow can be a possibility.

I'm not sure if you mean you don't believe the tracking numbers, but it is indeed tracking around the 60 million mark. 

So yes, it is tracking there. So for a 100 million ow the tracking will need to be off by a VERY large margin.

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

If it hits 116 that's a 16.5 preview multiplier for the 4 day weekend. Jesus!

I'm still gaining experience on these Pulse estimations, so I'd wait for Charlie before putting too many hopes on that. It would be an extremely low drop but the numbers say what they're saying, and I was pretty accurate the last couple of days. We'll see. 

3 minutes ago, movieboner said:

I don't think Godzilla is tracking to a low 40 to 60. The first film opened to $90 million in 2014. I think a $100 million ow can be a possibility.

And you can be alone on that island. Godzilla 2014 managed to open well due to it's pretty great pre-release strategy. The film fell apart because it was terrible, hence the extremely low rating. King Kong suffered, besides being a different film and the new Godzilla has yet, to really stretch itself into the data that would allow it to come within 20% of 90m.

Tracking comes from many places based on a decent amount of data - if our own previous site can't see it getting that high, unless it pulls a shocking thing ala Aladdin this weekend (which at least had solid presales finally going into Thursday) it will be fortunate to get 60ish Million.

That being said - would love to see it open to 90m+ but the data just isn't there for it.

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

That's your opinion and to be frank I get why you feel that way. You are opinions are intense and crazy different than most so I would say that as well.

The audience isn't wrong it's made for them. Critics often forget that. 

I don’t understand why you disagree with my point.  Do you think critics should change their own personal opinions to reflect onto the audience’s opinions (which they can’t predict since they see the movie before the audience sees it)?  

also I think it’s funny that you’re dismissing my argument of “people have different opinions” as just an opinion, even though it’s a fact

I don't think there was  conspiracy or anything but I do think Aladdin was definitely better than BATB and I feel there was a portion of critics not wanting to like the movie due to all the online vitriol it had for no reason. 

It doesn't make sense for Aladdin to be rotten but BATB to be in the 70s. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

I'm still gaining experience on these Pulse estimations, so I'd wait for Charlie before putting too many hopes on that. It would be an extremely low drop but the numbers say what they're saying, and I was pretty accurate the last couple of days. We'll see. 

Heck 110 is fine with me. 15.7

2 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I don't think there was  conspiracy or anything but I do thing Aladdin was definitely better than BATB and I feel there was a portion of critic not wanting to like the movie due to all the online vitriol it had for no reason. 

It doesn't make sense for Aladdin to be rotten but BATB to b in the 70s/ 

Correct they let their bias creep in and failed to remain objective. Happens a lot and more often now with social media.

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The argument as always with a critical group is that they get "irritated" when people overall like things that they don't.

Thats not new and has always existed going back thousands of years.

In this instance - as seen by other movies over the years, it appears that critics expected something different from what the audience wanted. I overall would be more interested in what they expected - and if the fill had delivered with a massive critics rating - I would almost 100% guarantee that the audience would have hated it.

I am just more curious why you seem to have an ax to grind with those on this thread that are unhappy with the critic rating - again, a conversation that does happen frequently, especially around Oscar season.

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I don’t understand why you disagree with my point.  Do you think critics should change their own personal opinions to reflect onto the audience’s opinions (which they can’t predict since they see the movie before the audience sees it)?  

also I think it’s funny that you’re dismissing my argument of “people have different opinions” as just an opinion, even though it’s a fact

I believe they should detach their own personal negative bias before seeing a film. I believe you should think about the review from other perspectives of who would want to see it and how they would enjoy it. My review or your review individually mean diddly crap. A professional critic's opinion is often used to determine if people view a film. With that comes a responsibility to be honest, independent and consistent.