sfran43

Monday Numbers: TSLOP2 $4.60M | Aladdin $3.19M | Dark Phoenix $2.48M | Godzilla KOTM $1.67M

3 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I agree "Little Mermaid" should be on their list.  I also  think "Mulan" might be able to surprise as well.  Has a really huge Cast including Jet Li should be huge China.  

Oh TLM has started. Just not very far yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, Avatree said:

uh... you're seriously comparing Aladdin's legs to Titanic?

aladdin is doing well but it will finish probably just over 3x multi. which is pretty standard for family film albeit it opened well.

And Aladdin was huge right out of the gate. $117m in opening holiday weekend. Not really the same thing.

Besides before the bad trailers, Aladdin is doing as expected.

Does Aladdin have a chance of doubling John Wick 3? If so, Disney could have a run between March and July of their big release that month doubling the next biggest film that month. 

Lion King doubling Spiderman would also be tough, but you can also argue to exclude that based on the joint distribution status. 

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

Still can't believe how badly Godzilla is flopping. Seemed like the perfect summer popcorn flick. 

Problem is it was only OK, and OK summer popcorn movies are a dime a dozen . You really have to be better then OK,you have to stand out from the crowd, to make the kind of money that Godzilla KOTM needed to make with the kind of budget it had.

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

uh... you're seriously comparing Aladdin's legs to Titanic?

aladdin is doing well but it will finish probably just over 3x multi. which is pretty standard for family film albeit it opened well.

And Aladdin was huge right out of the gate. $117m in opening holiday weekend. Not really the same thing.

That's why I said cute little mini Titanic, calm your tits :Gaga:

10 minutes ago, Royce said:

That's why I said cute little mini Titanic, calm your tits :Gaga:

Not to be a stickler for word usage :D but considering Titanic did 21x in it's 1st run, 3-4x doesn't qualify as mini-Titanic imo. maybe 10x+ does. ;)

Wonder Woman did 4x in summer with a higher gross. There have been surprises like these. Aladdin legs are great especially considering it opened big. GOTG1 also opened in 90s and finished 330+.

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

Still can't believe how badly Godzilla is flopping. Seemed like the perfect summer popcorn flick. 

Eh not really when it only appeals to one specific demo (who happens to be the most frequent voices on the internet). Aladdin has a much bigger broader appeal and it should have been a $1 Billion hit if Disney had more faith in it.

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

Does Aladdin have a chance of doubling John Wick 3? If so, Disney could have a run between March and July of their big release that month doubling the next biggest film that month. 

Lion King doubling Spiderman would also be tough, but you can also argue to exclude that based on the joint distribution status. 

possible but I don't think it'll get there. its got a week and a half before toy story.

Besides, theres about 0 chance of LK doubling spiderman.

Edited by Avatree

Aladdin is a story about what happens when people see the movie for themselves after hearing about so and so online and how little controversies online mean when you have a product people like.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Avatree said:

possible but I don't think it'll get there. its got a week and a half before toy story.

Besides, theres about 0 chance of LK doubling spiderman.

LK hits $700 million and Spidey FFH hits $350 million domestic? It is actually possible and quite reasonable.

Edited by jedijake

4 hours ago, sfran43 said:
The Avengers MV5BMjMxNjY2MDU1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY1
Avengers: Infinity War
MV5BMTc5MDE2ODcwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzI2
Avengers: Endgame
MV5BOTAzODEzNDAzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU1
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
MV5BMjQ1MzcxNjg4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzgw
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
$1,133,339
-66.7% / -18.2%
$587,927,710 / 46
$922,933
-61.6% / -20.7%
$656,059,331 / 46
$598,373
-62.2% / -31.2%
$825,035,276 / 46
$780,785
-78.1% / -39.7%
$896,541,631 / 46
$322,382
-76.4% / -40.2%
$611,118,204 / 46

Things gonna get better from next weekend and by next to next weekend, it gonna start matching IW again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

6 hours ago, sfran43 said:

Yeah, Rocketman is definitely out grossing KOTM today...

I don't think so. Discount Tuesday in the summer? Which movie is more likely to draw families and kids on summer? Godzilla will increase its lead on Rocketman today.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WP Kelley said:

I don't think so. Discount Tuesday in the summer? Which movie is more likely to draw families and kids on summer? Godzilla will increase its lead on Rocketman today.

Last Tue KOTM jumped 44%. Hoping for 50% this time for 2.5m.

At first that's surprisingly close to GZ14's 2.7m 2nd Tuesday (which was the Tuesday post Mem Day). But Wed over 5 years show bigger drops post Disc Tue so the gap between them will increase. Also being in an earlier period GZ14 had better Fri bumps in the comparable period.

Edited by a2k

5 hours ago, WP Kelley said:

True! I forgot about the discount Tuesday advantage for KOTM. But we might see it fall below Rocketman Wednesday or Thursday!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Eh not really when it only appeals to one specific demo (who happens to be the most frequent voices on the internet). Aladdin has a much bigger broader appeal and it should have been a $1 Billion hit if Disney had more faith in it.

I agree Aladdin is an important intellectual property for Disney, but how did they lack faith in it? Disney spent about $185m on the production, that's a major production, and they also marketed it pretty strongly. I saw plenty of TV ads for it here in the USA. 

What else could they have done?

Edited by SteveJaros

11 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I agree Aladdin is an important intellectual property for Disney, but how did they lack faith in it? Disney spent about $185m on the production, that's a major production, and they also marketed it pretty strongly. I saw plenty of TV ads for it here in the USA. 

What else could they have done?

I think it was mentioned in the China thread that Disney kinda just gave up on Aladdin in China before it even opened. Predictions there for Aladdin was super low, around $30M total. But they were in for a surprise because the movie will end up with around $55M there. Maybe if it was marketed better in China, it could have done more.