TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

2 hours ago, RRA said:

I’m curious where this will land at RT. After the initial polarizing reception to DS2, I went into it expecting an AOU messy sort of MCU entry. Instead I rather enjoyed myself, found it better than the first movie.* It lacks the emotional ummpf of NWH and isn’t top-tier MCU, but quick paced (some day neck break pacing, but anymore I appreciate 2 hour movies not messing around since general cinema economical storytelling is threatening to become a lost art) to the point that I realized “oh it’s already wrapping up?” 

So yeah the polarizing reviews in retrospect do baffle me. 4/5.  It certainly like a Sam Raimi movie, or his version of a MCU programmer anyway (that early NYC stuff felt like Spidey Tobey’s NYC if that makes sense.) Or considering his earlier Spidey trilogy tonally help inform the MCU playbook, it’s like if Paul McCartney (who was in the textbook boy band) covered a hit song by BTS. 

I think what might help me with L&T is that I enjoy Ragnarok, but not as much as large segment of Marvelites do with that fan favorite. It’s not a high bar for me, while it is for others. 

*=Which I learned reading some responses is a top tier MCU movie for many folks. I liked that movie, but it’s boiler plate MCU for me. But I’ve been around long enough to realize most entries are somebody out there’s favorite/one of their favorites.

The issue with MoM is the genre mash ups are a bit clunky and not really on trend, like if we're talking horror, the hot thing right now is like indie arthouse horror not this campy stuff. I think the other problem is the movie isn't as comedic as a normal Marvel film (which also kind of killed Eternals) but also doesn't have like a super strong emotional element either (why NWH, Endgame, BP, first Guardians, etc all have such rave reactions). It's literally just campy and weird, with a bunch of cameos that people were probably a little confused about, like literally we had no idea of John Krasinski was a real casting decision or not until like yesterday. 

I have no idea where the RT will fall for L&T but if the reactions are so far half best Thor movie yet and half not as good as Ragnarok, probably pretty good? 

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

(which also kind of killed Eternals) but also doesn't have like a super strong emotional element either (why NWH, Endgame, BP, first Guardians, etc all have such rave reactions).

what "super strong emotional element" did BP?

It felt like a phase 1 movie to me, and I enjoy it because of that

And wasnt guardians 2 suppossed to be the emotional one? guardians 1 is the better movie simply because its more fun 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

And wasnt guardians 2 suppossed to be the emotional one? guardians is the better movie simply because its more fun 

Probably when T’challa lost the first duel and presumably dead + kill monger background villain story which is also emotional.

Yup I think GotG2 is definitely the emotional one with Yondu death and StarLord family issue. GotG does have some emotional moments but not as emotional as the second one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

And wasnt guardians 2 suppossed to be the emotional one? guardians 1 is the better movie simply because its more fun 

Black Panther was emotional for many reasons, like not all of it had to do with the story itself even (which was also emotional cause of the family aspects) but obviously what it meant for representation. 

• Like 1

What mid Phase 1 movie had moments like these?

MARVELEDITS — MICHAEL B. JORDAN as ERIK KILLMONGER

Tumblr

n'jobu | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

The way some of ya'll cape for the mediocre Perlmutter era. That's not to say Phases 1 & 2 didn't have strong films but IMO Phase 4 is already the second best phase and we are just reaching the halfway point for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Tumblr

The way some of ya'll cape for the mediocre Perlmutter era. That's not to say Phases 1 & 2 didn't have strong films but IMO Phase 4 is already the second best phase and we are just reaching the halfway point for it.

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Tumblr

Disagree .phase 4 is dead last for me. Phase 1 and 2 were rough around the ages but the universe was being built unlike phase 4 for the most part  is just all rushed esp the shows to get that sweet D+ content 

Avengers, winter soldier,GOTG ,antman ,ironman 1 put phase 4 to shame in terms of quality .

T&LT is the last phase 4 movie last I checked unless that was changed. 

It's had a few  bright spots but as a whole phase 4 has been messy and mediocre and has even created cracks in the mcu  continuity.

Phase 3

Phase 2

Phase 1

Phase 4.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Tumblr

Just LOOKING at MBJ makes my toes curl. 

The best movies of Phase 1 and Phase 2 are better than the best of Phase 4, and the worst are better than the worst of Phase 4. I have mostly enjoyed Phase 4 with the exception of MoM but it definitely feels shakier than previous phases. This multiverse narrative hasn't been doing it for me. Still am quite excited for Thor as it is gonna be contained from all that stuff and hopefully just a funny/emotional space adventure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

The best movies of Phase 1 and Phase 2 are better than the best of Phase 4, and the worst are better than the worst of Phase 4. I have mostly enjoyed Phase 4 with the exception of MoM but it definitely feels shakier than previous phases. This multiverse narrative hasn't been doing it for me. Still am quite excited for Thor as it is gonna be contained from all that stuff and hopefully just a funny/emotional space adventure.

IA Phase 4 is rough.. I honestly haven’t liked anything more than a 3/5 so far. 

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

The thing is even the good movies from the Perlmutter era haven’t aged that well like other than the first Iron Man which totally holds up, a lot of the other stuff is just forgettable? 

Idk, I think Avengers (my favorite MCU movie before phase 3), GOTG, TWS, and Ant-Man all hold up very well. Cap 1 needs a rewatch, I may put it up there with those as well. Even the first Thor, last time I rewatched it in 2021, came out pretty good. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Frankly I think the multiverse angle was a mistake. Would have been much stronger and less convoluted without it. 

What else were they gonna do at this point though? Thanos/Infinity saga hype was simply massive and they managed to create an event film out of NWH that out grossed even Infinity War domestically, so financially it’s certainly paid off. 

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Disagree .phase 4 is dead last for me. Phase 1 and 2 were rough around the ages but the universe was being built unlike phase 4 for the most part  is just all rushed esp the shows to get that sweet D+ content 

Avengers, winter soldier,GOTG ,antman ,ironman 1 put phase 4 to shame in terms of quality .

T&LT is the last phase 4 movie last I checked unless that was changed. 

It's had a few  bright spots but as a whole phase 4 has been messy and mediocre and has even created cracks in the mcu  continuity.

Phase 3

Phase 2

Phase 1

Phase 4.

Phase 4 may have a couple duds, but I sincerely liked NWH, Shang Chi, Loki, Ms Marvel, MoM and Moon Knight more then anything besides Iron Man 1 and Avengers in Phase 1. Actually I like them significantly more then anything from Phase 2 that wasn't Winter Soldier or Guardians.

• Like 1

I love that some of you compare phase 4 movies ro movies like iron man, gotg or tws which are top tier cbms in general and not just mcu.

How many cbms are better than those 3? So your bar is that phase 4 has ro have better movies like avengers, tws, gotg or iron man? Lmao, that is ridiculous. Thats like expecting every fantasy franchise first movie to be on par with Fellowship of the ring.

Also i love that you compare phase 4 shows with....0Phase 1 and 2movies. Completely different mediums.

• Like 2

I think Phase 4 has been... ok. When I watch a Marvel, I want to be WELL entertained. And I think Shang-Chi and NWH are some of the most entertaining MCU movies ever. And I think Thor 4 will fall right with these 2.

And I still think Shang-Chi is the best origin movie in the MCU. 

About the shows... Loki is my favorite. Love it. WandaVision to. Watched the trailer recently and felt nostalgic. And I'm LOVING Ms Marvel. The others are OK but with some outstanding characters additions even when it lacks in story 

I do wonder when Phase 4 ends? Is it with Thor 4? Or She-Hulk? Maybe they made it longer? 

Edited by Juan Caballo
Thoughts on shows

8 minutes ago, Jeight said:

I love that some of you compare phase 4 movies ro movies like iron man, gotg or tws which are top tier cbms in general and not just mcu.

How many cbms are better than those 3? So your bar is that phase 4 has ro have better movies like avengers, tws, gotg or iron man? Lmao, that is ridiculous. Thats like expecting every fantasy franchise first movie to be on par with Fellowship of the ring.

Also i love that you compare phase 4 shows with....0Phase 1 and 2movies. Completely different mediums.

Why shouldn't we have high expectations? Phase 3 had a great run of consistent high quality movies. 

• Like 3

Looking back on Thor... Thor 2 was truly awful. Still the worst MCU movie imo. With Black Widow sneaking behind 

What they did with Malekith... such a waste. Awful villain. 

I recently read this Marvel Comics event called "War of the Realms" and it's so awesome and epic and huge and puts the MCU Malekith to quadruple shame.