TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

13 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Is L&T REALLY worse than OG Thor? I HAVE DOUBTS without even seeing the movie.

Critics seem to have reached a certain extent of MCU saturation where they are now being more critical than they were previously, which was bound to happen. As long as these movies don't start dropping into the Rotten zone like Eternals and their BO isn't affected, they should be good.

It does seem that they would've been better off adapting either the Jane Thor storyline or the Gorr storyline and not both.

Reviews don't exist in a vacuum and when the first Thor came out, they didn't have many Marvel movies to compare. Now they can look at almost 30 and go "this is Top Tier or Mid Tier or Low Tier" and review accordingly. It may not be fair but that's how reviewing works. It's inevitable they'll at least look at the director's other Marvel movie and go "better, worse, same".

i rewatched thor 1 yesterday. 1. it's the best one 2. hemsworth is doing an entirely different performance the voice and everything 3. i like the shakespeare lite sincerity it (sometimes) has i'll take that thor over bro thor anyday. 4. asgard is four rooms and has a population of ten people.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hades said:

Bring back Kenneth Branagh...Enough of this parody/SNL  Thor thing.

Agreed.  But I think the tides will generally turn that way based on the overall reaction to this movie.  I bet the next time we see Thor, he/she (both?) will be a bit more "serious."  Feige could even coax Branagh back to direct...and based on where the hints are that this might go...the next movie's premise could be right up Branagh's alley of interest.  An Epic, Shakespearian Clash.  

This revisionist approach is always funny 

Thor not only had average critical reception, but also a pretty bad B+ cinemascore and not really impressive box office result. And it's not that the movie trully developed a cultural sense of "cult" movie these past few years anyway for this make sense 

Probably they will try a more balanced tone next time, but no they won't come back to 2011

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This revisionist approach is always funny 

Thor not only had average critical reception, but also a pretty bad B+ cinemascore and not really impressive box office result. And it's not that the movie trully developed a cultural sense of "cult" movie these past few years anyway for this make sense 

Probably they will try a more balanced tone next time, but no they won't come back to 2011

Don't know about you, but I always loved it.  All four of Marvel's first Intro films hold up very well, as does the first Avengers.  But I particularly love Branagh's take on this, the performances are great, the visual effects are beautiful, the score is absolutely wonderful, the journey is compelling, from God to Human to God again.  It's not Hamlet, but Branagh was brave enough to at least really go for Shakespearian ambition, and that's more than you can say for many Hollywood franchise attempts.  Nice to see all the love here for it from other users!  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

How many more Thor movies do they plan on making? 

Hemsworth and Feige have hinted that there are multiple more possibilities in the offing, so I'm betting Disney's signed him to at least another 3-film contract with options.  

The only correct answer is of course...as long as they make money!  

Edited by Macleod

Thor 1 is boring, not funny and if it wasnt for Loki, it would be D-Tier MCU for me.

Thor 2 is borderline unwatchable. Embarrassing.

Ragnarok is amazing and Top-Tier MCU. So if L&T is more like it, it will be automatically better than Thor 1 and especially Thor 2: The Dark Script.

The disparity in tone between THOR and THOR 3&4 is as big, if not bigger than, the disparity between BATMAN and BATMAN & ROBIN or DR. NO and DIE ANOTHER DAY or A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and NIGHTMARE VI: FREDDY'S DEAD or JAWS and JAWS: THE REVENGE.

The only difference is somehow the audience was tricked into thinking the latter THOR movies were good.

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Hemsworth and Feige have hinted that there are multiple more possibilities in the offing, so I'm betting Disney's signed him to at least another 3-film contract with options.  

A sixth Thor movie sounds like overkill. Out of the original Marvel Trinity, I find it odd that Thor is the one who’s still kicking around. 

• Like 1