sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

What did you predict for Aladdin in Japan? Don't go editing it.

I don't think I predicted anything for Aladdin in Japan.

I will admit that it surprised me. Aladdin was the most popular WDAS movie for a long time, though.

But given The Lion King's competition, (Weathering With You, the new One Piece movie, Toy Story 4, and Aladdin) I think it's worth considering,

I also just have a hunch that it doesn't fit in with the tastes of Japanese moviegoers.

Edited by cannastop

TLK’s WW-DOM-J-C-SK gross will be way higher than I expected. Those markets maybe 750-800M or so, 750-800M or so in rest? More? Quite unusual to see those 4 contributing half or less.

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Define "bomb" in Japan. I think it makes $40m in that market.

If it doesn't reach blockbuster status (¥5 billion/$45 million) in Japan, I would consider that a disappointment. That would be less than half of Aladdin's gross in Japan. $25-30 million or less would be bomb-worthy for its genre (Disney live-action remake).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

South Korea and japan pretty similar traction with regards to Disney live action movies

Live action lion king is where near Aladdin popularity in South Korea 

i expect same in japan 

True, but both Alice in Wonderland and Beauty and the Beast were much more popular in Japan than South Korea.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

South Korea and japan pretty similar traction with regards to Disney live action movies

Live action lion king is where near Aladdin popularity in South Korea 

i expect same in japan 

Good point. It was fucking huge in South Korea. I don't expect it to make quite the same splash in Japan, given the competition, mostly Weathering With You and One Piece.

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Japan and Italy have yet to open, so $1.5 billion WW is locked unless one of these markets bombs. 

Yeah those 2 markets should push it past 1475 if not more.

Edited by a2k

32 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Does anyone know the smallest window of time that a country has had 3 new #1 movies is?

Not sure if this is the answer, but domestically what came to mind was Live Free or Died Hard opened to #1 on 6/27/07, then Ratatouille was #1 on 6/29, and then Transformers' Monday previews were #1 on 7/2: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2007-06-27&track

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Not sure if this is the answer, but domestically what came to mind was Live Free or Died Hard opened to #1 on 6/27/07, then Ratatouille was #1 on 6/29, and then Transformers' Monday previews were #1 on 7/2: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2007-06-27&track

Ah, I meant #1 all-time rather than #1 daily. Very neat trivia though!

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Does anyone know the smallest window of time that a country has had 3 new #1 movies is?

Uh?

Well Princess Mononoke was #1 in Japan of all time in 1997, then Titanic came  a few months later and then Spirited Away was released in 2001.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

Man there really aren't that many animated features this year. The only one left for this year that I think is a shoo-in for $100m dom is like Frozen 2.

And there aren't many other interesting animated movies I can think of either.

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

If counting by gross revenue and not admissions, Mexico has had 3 new #1's in a span of 1.5 years. Coco followed by Infinity War followed by Endgame. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

If counting by gross revenue and not admissions, Mexico has had 3 new #1's in a span of 1.5 years. Coco followed by Infinity War followed by Endgame. 

I thought Mexico was going to be a good bet, lol.      

This is is a super longshot, but if F2 has spectacular reception SK could make a play for less than 10 months :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I thought Mexico was going to be a good bet, lol.      

This is is a super longshot, but if F2 has spectacular reception SK could make a play for less than 10 months :ph34r:

For South Korea, is that for imported films only? I thought Roaring Currents was still #1 there in admissions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

For South Korea, is that for imported films only? I thought Roaring Currents was still #1 there in admissions. 

Ah, yes, just for HW. Locals still comfortably at the actual top of the top.

• Like 1