sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Man there really aren't that many animated features this year. The only one left for this year that I think is a shoo-in for $100m dom is like Frozen 2.

And there aren't many other interesting animated movies I can think of either.

Abominable could do over 100M definitely.

Addams Family could be interesting, I know a lot of people like that show(think its a show?)

But yeah weak year for animation at least at the box office. everything that's not big Disney brands has flop / underperformance

Edited by Avatree

Just now, Avatree said:

Abominable could do over 100M definitely.

Addams Family could be interesting, I know a lot of people like that show(think its a show?)

But yeah weak year for animation at least at the box office.

Well Addams Family is a lot of things, but it started as a print cartoon.

Not sure about Abominable.

I hope Abominable is good. One sole female writer/director credited for the script. Maybe thats a stupid reason but that gives me hope. 

Fingers crossed it can be HTTYD / KFP quality.

4 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Does anyone know the smallest window of time that a country has had 3 new #1 movies is?

India: In matter of 4 months 3.

Till 23rd August 2013, 3 Idiots was #1

From 24th August 2013 to 29th December 2013, Chennai Express

From 30th December 2013 to 29th December 2014, Dhoom 3

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

India: In matter of 4 months 3.

Till 23rd August 2013, 3 Idiots was #1

From 24th August 2013 to 29th December 2013, Chennai Express

From 30th December 2013 to 29th December 2014, Dhoom 3

Ambiguous wording strikes again 😛   

I intended 3 new #1s, i.e. a total of 4 different #1s in the window in question including the previous record. Still it looks Chennai Express-Dhoom 3-PK was just 16 months, so it should just barely edge out Coco-IW-EG from Mexico. 

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

I hope Abominable is good. One sole female writer/director credited for the script. Maybe thats a stupid reason but that gives me hope. 

Fingers crossed it can be HTTYD / KFP quality.

Have you seen the trailer?

Just now, cannastop said:

Have you seen the trailer?

No, is it bad?

Trailers can be misleading though especially for kids movies even when the films are amazing they just fill the trailers with poor jokes and slapstick humour because it has to appeal to children.

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

No, is it bad?

Trailers can be misleading though especially for kids movies even when the films are amazing they just fill the trailers with poor jokes and slapstick humour because it has to appeal to children.

The trailer is pretty fucking bad. I would have to see pretty great reviews for me to think it would be a success.

@MCKillswitch123 600.000 tickets in 11 days. Biggest 2nd weekend ever by a wild margin. This weekend would be the 5th biggest OW ever btw. Unreal. it will crush Endgame's total tomorrow, on his 13 day of release. I have no fucking words. 1 million tickets sold is locked, 2nd movie in history to reach the mark. Avatar is SHAKING. FUCKING SHAKING.

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_25_a_28_julho_2019_181475d3ebfba80a5f.pdf

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 3

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 600.000 tickets in 11 days. Biggest 2nd weekend ever by a wild margin. This weekend would be the 5th biggest OW ever btw. Unreal. it will crush Endgame's total tomorrow, on his 13 day of release. I have no fucking words. 

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_25_a_28_julho_2019_181475d3ebfba80a5f.pdf

What the bloody f*ck.

210k 2nd Weekend, wow. What's the second highest?

In Germany after the 2nd Wend so 12 days it still is about 20k tickets short of Endgames 5-day OWend.

Or using 2nd Wends, TLK's 12 day total is about 30k tickets above the highest 2nd Wend (4-day) ever.

This movie really performs well almost everywhere.

Edited by Taruseth

I apologize if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it until this morning. I knew OUaTiH was an expensive movie but if these numbers to break even are accurate I just can't see it being profitable for Sony. If it has the same breakdown as Django it is probably looking at roughly a 320M WW gross. (I'm assuming about a 110M DOM). it has an audience score that still hasn't stabilized - now down to 72% verified and 71% all and has a definite recommend of only 58% and a highly male skewing audience. That all screams frontloading is likely. 

https://deadline.com/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino-box-office-lion-king-weekend-1202654606/

Just like Tarantino’s Hollywood is a throwback pic, so is its financial structure, we hear from sources, with 30% of the first dollar gross going to the filmmaker, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Brad Pitt in a first dollar pool. We hear that first dollar gross is typical on a Tarantino pic, and that between Inglourious Basterdsand The Hateful Eight, he made around $75M between fees and profits. Typically, on a big star-driven tentpole like a Dwayne Johnson movie, profit is dispensed at a percent of cash break-even. We understand that in order for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to break-even, it has to make just north of $400M at the worldwide B.O., just under the $425.3M that Django Unchained grossed (38% of that came from U.S./Canada, where the feature made $162.8M, still his highest- grossing movie).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RamblinRed said:

I apologize if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it until this morning. I knew OUaTiH was an expensive movie but if these numbers to break even are accurate I just can't see it being profitable for Sony. If it has the same breakdown as Django it is probably looking at roughly a 320M WW gross. (I'm assuming about a 110M DOM). it has an audience score that still hasn't stabilized - now down to 72% verified and 71% all and has a definite recommend of only 58% and a highly male skewing audience. That all screams frontloading is likely. 

https://deadline.com/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino-box-office-lion-king-weekend-1202654606/

Just like Tarantino’s Hollywood is a throwback pic, so is its financial structure, we hear from sources, with 30% of the first dollar gross going to the filmmaker, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Brad Pitt in a first dollar pool. We hear that first dollar gross is typical on a Tarantino pic, and that between Inglourious Basterdsand The Hateful Eight, he made around $75M between fees and profits. Typically, on a big star-driven tentpole like a Dwayne Johnson movie, profit is dispensed at a percent of cash break-even. We understand that in order for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to break-even, it has to make just north of $400M at the worldwide B.O., just under the $425.3M that Django Unchained grossed (38% of that came from U.S./Canada, where the feature made $162.8M, still his highest- grossing movie).

Bad deal for Sony.  If top filmmakers and actors really want studios to take a chance on their larger budget originals they're going to have to be a bit less greedy.  But hey, there's always Netflix.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Bad deal for Sony.  If top filmmakers and actors really want studios to take a chance on their larger budget originals they're going to have to be a bit less greedy.  But hey, there's always Netflix.

Great for Tarantino though! I'd take that deal.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Great for Tarantino though! I'd take that deal.

giphy.gif

Sure, he gets a possible $70m and Sony will be lucky not to be the red.

Might explain why Tarantino thinks this his last film.  Hard to get another studio to sign up for deal that bad for them.

• Like 5

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Might explain why Tarantino thinks this his last film.  Hard to get another studio to sign up for deal that bad for them.

1. Sony has another 6 Venom movies at bay, I'm sure they'll be fine.

2. I'm sure profit wasn't the main incentive as to why WB. and Sony fought so hard to get the rights to this film. It's still gonna be a big awards player, and they're still distributing a film from one of the most iconic directors working. It's not like WB. distributed Kubrick's last few films to get Batman money. Tarantino will be fine; at worst he still has Star Trek.

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Frankly, I don't see a scenario where Sony profits if the 400m breakeven is true. I think most people would have said that was a less than likely scenario to have happened even before the movie started screening anywhere

Which seems a bit odd for Sony considering the notoriously big penny pincher Tom Rothman. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TMP said:

1. Sony has another 6 Venom movies at bay, I'm sure they'll be fine.

2. I'm sure profit wasn't the main incentive as to why WB. and Sony fought so hard to get the rights to this film. It's still gonna be a big awards player, and they're still distributing a film from one of the most iconic directors working. It's not like WB. distributed Kubrick's last few films to get Batman money. Tarantino will be fine; at worst he still has Star Trek.

I doubt Kubrick shook WB down for $70m+ per pic.    That kind of back end deal is what Nolan gets for larger B.O. films.  It's also the kind of back end deal why Sony couldn't afford to make any more MIB movies with Smith and TLJ.

This isn't some small or even mid budget passion project.  QT got paid a huge up front salary as did Leo and Pitt.  The budget is $90m - probably more than half of that salary for those three.  That they then get 30% of first $ gross is kind of insane. 

That the studio didn't think of profit while the director and stars certainly did is bizarro world.  Especially with Rothman at the head - though he probably sold out huge part of the budget to cover Sonys ass.

Paramount would have to be  suicidal to give QT a similar deal on ST especially since the last one was in the red.   Sure he can make other movies for studios, most studios would love to work with him - just not at those prices.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Taruseth said:

What the bloody f*ck.

210k 2nd Weekend, wow. What's the second highest?

In Germany after the 2nd Wend so 12 days it still is about 20k tickets short of Endgames 5-day OWend.

Or using 2nd Wends, TLK's 12 day total is about 30k tickets above the highest 2nd Wend (4-day) ever.

This movie really performs well almost everywhere.

I don't even know. But there are only 6 movies that ever did 200.000 tickets in a weekend. 6 movies!!!! And The Lion King does it twice like if it is fucking NOTHING. 

• Astonished 2

Well Sony must know something that the rest of us don't. Sure it would need around 400 to break even but they're not stupid. They must be taking into consideration post theatrical revenues in order to make money on this one. banking on a film to make four hundred million dollars when Quentin Tarantino has only had one other film do that, isn't the smartest business decision.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well Sony must know something that the rest of us don't. Sure it would need around 400 to break even but they're not stupid. They must be taking into consideration post theatrical revenues in order to make money on this one. banking on a film to make four hundred million dollars when Quentin Tarantino has only had one other film do that, isn't the smartest business decision.

@CJohn would like to have a word.