sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

14 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

100% good value for money, wonder what the confirmed Hulu/Disney+ will cost? They will miss a lot of new stuff early on, so that sucks, but if they give me some of that late 80’s and 90’s cartoons including the Fox Kids stuff it will be worth it, love going to sleep with some nostalgic stuff on.

If they put 2000s Disney channel shows for me and others millennials.

this gonna be huge with nostalgia 

They already said every simpsons will be available at launch 

31 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

TLK is a major underperformance relative to expectations. 

i am sure that disney will cry with 1,5-1,7 billion but hey thats life i guess ,you must move on even after this underperformance

the epectations ? lol ? most people though of that range

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The expectation of anyone with common sense who knew it's the crown jewel of Disney's library, who knew it was the 2nd highest grossing film ever after JP when released, who knew it only added to its appeal over the years (its 2012 re-release gross doubled JP's 2013 re-release) via its record breaking stage musical. It's an underperformance any way you slice it. Pulling less in its second weekend than BATB is actually embarrassing. 

Once again you show your a little out to lunch from time to time when it comes to box office.

I can't believe I'm actually going to have to go home and do a comprehensive breakdown and explain it to some of you guys as to why films in the summertime make less in their second weekend and drop more in their second weekend than other films comparatively speaking do in the springtime. Do I really need to explain that in the Summer films burn off so much demand during the week so that there's not as much of a rush on the weekend to go see it? I mean I really truly don't have to explain this to those of you that have been doing this for 10 years or more do I?

• Like 12

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Because some people on a forum say it could do $ 2B or more based on nothing concrete? Sure Jan

to be honest here if and that a big if at least as of now, the movie hits 1,7 billion then there is a legimate arguement that the movie could really hit 2 billion especially if china made 200-300, however the fact that it will not doesnt make the movie an underperformance

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I can't believe I'm actually going to have to go home and do a comprehensive breakdown and explain it to some of you guys as to why films in the summertime make less in their second weekend and drop more in their second weekend than other films comparatively speaking do in the springtime. Do I really need to explain that in the Summer films burn off so much demand during the week so that there's not as much of a rush on the weekend to go see it? I mean I really truly don't have to explain this to those of you that have been doing this for 10 years or more do I?

jennifer lopez yes GIF by mtv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The expectation of anyone with common sense who knew it's the crown jewel of Disney's library, who knew it was the 2nd highest grossing film ever after JP when released, who knew it only added to its appeal over the years (its 2012 re-release gross doubled JP's 2013 re-release) via its record breaking stage musical. It's an underperformance any way you slice it. Pulling less in its second weekend than BATB is actually embarrassing. 

Huh.  Interesting to see the Summer Game then:

DOM Total (Through Labor Day Weekend)

Lion King           $525M

The Lion King - $406m

The Lion King - 575m

The Lion King   $675M

The Lion King- 675M

The Lion King – $650M

The Lion King - 613.5M

The Lion King:   510M

The Lion King   $650m

Lion King -       498M

The Lion King - 684.7m

The Lion King:   530M

The Lion King - 500 million

The Lion King - 431M

The Lion King - 724M

The Lion King  - 500.01M

The Lion King  - 540.574326m

The Lion King - 675m

THE LION KING 575 M

Lion King          $500M

The Lion King   430m

Lion King -       605

The Lion King – 330M

Lion King          $460M

The Lion King - 487m

The Lion King - 450

The Lion King – $600m

The Lion King – $600m

===

Looks to me like guesses were all over the map.  I'm sure the stans out there expected something huge.

But this board?  From the Put Your Money Forum Rep Where It's Mouth is Game?

Average prediction:  549.99m

Median prediction:   535.29m

Throw out the 330 guess for dragging down the score?  Okay.

Average prediction: 558.14m

Median prediction:  540.57m

What about spread?

700m+:               1

651m - 700m:     4

601m - 650m:     6

551m - 600m:     2

501m - 550m:     4

451m - 500m:     7 (500.01 counted in this tier)

450m and under: 4

======

When looking at the above, it seems to me that TLK might come in right at expectations of the board taken as a whole, if not slightly exceed it.

Is it doing as well as the fans hoped?  Of course not.  But for the folks who wanted to put things down for the Summer Game, this isn't that surprising.

And, remember, this was locked back on April 25th when the buzz was still fantastic for the film.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Most people here expect around $ 1.6B for TLK, it will come close or match that

This whole narrative of bringing TLK down everyday is so annoying, if you hate the movie, that’s fine, but stop trying to make concrete numbers worse based on nothing or you own personals feelings about even the existence of the movie. 

This is slowly becoming another TLJ situation, for god sake. 

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

You dont have to do a breakdown. We all know more ppl go to the movies during the midweek in the summer which affects wkend #s. be that as it may, it's STILL embarrassing for TLK to make less in its 2nd weekend than BATB even with the former released in summer and the latter in spring 

Once again, let's take a look at the Summer Game predictions for The Lion King to get a realistic sense of expectations:

Average prediction for Domestic Gross: $549.99M

Average prediction for Worldwide Gross: $1.424B

At bare minimum, The Lion King is meeting general expectations, if not slightly exceeding them.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Once again, let's take a look at the Summer Game predictions for The Lion King to get a realistic sense of expectations:

At bare minimum, The Lion King is meeting general expectations, if not slightly exceeding them.

Peace,

Mike

Great minds think alike, I see! 👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Huh.  Interesting to see the Summer Game then:

I should have known you would have put the work into doing this, given how much work you put into the tracking thread. ;) Very well said!

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

The lion king will soon become the highest grossing animated movie! It breaking the animation ceiling. 

Highest-grossing animated films[4]
Rank Peak Title Worldwide gross Year Ref
1[nb 2] 1 Frozen $1,290,000,000 2013 [# 1]
2 2 Incredibles 2 $1,242,805,359 2018 [# 2]
3 2 Minions $1,159,398,397 2015 [# 3]
4 1 Toy Story 3 $1,066,969,703 2010 [# 4][# 5]
5 4 Despicable Me 3 $1,034,799,409 2017 [# 6]
6 4 Finding Dory $1,028,570,889 2016 [# 7]
7 4 Zootopia $1,023,784,195 2016 [# 8]
8 2[nb 3] Despicable Me 2 $970,761,885 2013 [# 9][# 10]
9 1 The Lion King [nb 4] $968,483,777 1994 [# 11][# 12]
10 10 The Lion King [nb 5] film currently playing $962,675,534 2019 [# 13]

Now convince Disney to announce when it passes Frozen lol.

5 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Peace,

Mike

I dunno, I'd still laugh if the DOM is below The Dark Knight.

Disney sets record for highest-grossing year for a studio with five months to spare

New York (CNN Business)Disney set the record for the highest-grossing year for a studio ever, and it's only July.

The company has brought in an industry record $7.67 billion to date at the worldwide box office, it announced on Sunday. That passed the previous record, which was also set by Disney, when it made $7.61 billion at the global box office in 2016.
Spoiler

The House of Mouse has dominated the box office this year thanks to a lineup of blockbuster films from some of its biggest brands including Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Endgame," which last weekend passed 'Avatar' as the biggest box-office blockbuster ever.
    Disney (DIS) has three films that have made more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office in 2019: "Avengers: Endgame," "Captain Marvel" and "Aladdin." The company could soon have five films that have crossed that threshold with "Toy Story 4" and "The Lion King" making more than $900 million worldwide.

The studio also has the top five highest-grossing films at the domestic box office this year.
    "Disney's global domination is a reflection of what happens when you have some of the biggest brands in film," Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at Comscor, (SCOR) told CNN Business. "Not to mention, the marketing muscle to get that content on the minds of virtually every potential moviegoer around the world on a consistent basis."
    Disney's record numbers could grow even larger as it heads into the second half of 2019.
    The studio has notable films on the slate for the fall and winter including "Maleficent: Mistress of Evil" in October, "Frozen 2" in November and the final chapter of the Skywalker saga, "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" opening in December.
      There won't be many challenges facing Disney at the box office for the rest of 2019, but it should be a strong second half of the year for other studios as well as Disney, Dergarabedian said.
      "Rival studios will be there with their own competing blockbusters such as Warner Bros.' 'It: Chapter 2' in September and Sony's 'Jumanji: The Next Level' in December," he said. "Those films and others like them will make their mark with audiences who are always looking for different types of content at the multiplex."

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/28/media/disney-box-office-record-year/index.html

edit: put part in spoiler tags as a bit long

Edited by terrestrial