sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

IT 2 could very well decrease from the first movie for a number of reasons but being really long isn't one of them. Given how dead the box office will be by then, theaters can easily book it on as many screens to get in as many showtimes as they see fit.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It might not drop big, but even Deadpool 2 decreased. 

Wonder Woman’s first film was significantly above all of those first films domestically though. It’s hard to maintain that level. More room to fall. 

Still, I can see a range from $335M-$450M for WW84, but I fell like it doing under $300M is very unlikely.

Black widow is doing ant man 2 numbers 

no way it’s winning summer 

fast and furious 9

minions 2 

Wonder Woman 2 

tencet 

1 of those I guess 

scarlet johannson is unlikable af. She’s no brie larson 

Edited by Minnale101
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 3

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

fast and furious 9

minions 2 

These two are destined to drop big. Especially the latter, it screams an Ice Age 5/Pets 2/TLM2 situation.

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

tencet

Until we get an actual plot about Tenet, I am sticking with Dunkirk numbers.

WW84 has the best chance to win, followed by BW, with Soul and Jungle Cruise as outside chances.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

IT 2 could very well decrease from the first movie for a number of reasons but being really long isn't one of them. Given how dead the box office will be by then, theaters can easily book it on as many screens to get in as many showtimes as they see fit.

I think between the #1 film of all time, the #2 film of all time, and the #3 film of all time, it's clear that being 3 hours long isn't a barrier from box office greatness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Noah Baumbach tho. It's also going in competition at Venice, so ScarJo must have been impressive in it since it's a two-hander with Adam Driver.

A lot of Baumbach films have had festival premieres and his last one competed in Cannes but the Academy has been consistently snubbing his films. Netflix is going to focus on The Irishman also. 

Wouldn't be surprised if his SO does better this Oscar season.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, runtime won’t effect a film if it’s anticipated.

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

These two are destined to drop big. Especially the latter, it screams an Ice Age 5/Pets 2/TLM2 situation.

Until we get an actual plot about Tenet, I am sticking with Dunkirk numbers.

WW84 has the best chance to win, followed by BW, with Soul and Jungle Cruise as outside chances.

Nah i think minions are much bigger global phenomenon than pets 2 ever was. 

DM3 still still did a billion dollars just 2 years ago 

also minions 2 will have origin story of how they met 

I could see it dropping 200-300 million nothing more 

Since when is Noah Baumbach some kind of acclaimed oscar-status director? His films are cute and all but they haven't garnered many awards as far as I'm aware?

Greta Gerwig, sure.

11 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Marketing seems pretty meh for It 2 seeing as it opens in just over a month.

I think it's been pretty awesome. That second trailer was terrific.

• Like 2

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

A lot of Baumbach films have had festival premieres and his last one competed in Cannes but the Academy has been consistently snubbing his films. Netflix is going to focus on The Irishman also. 

Wouldn't be surprised if his SO does better this Oscar season.

Little Women seems a bit no1curr, while I can see Marriage Story winning Picture as well as Actor/Actress. Even then, Johansson's other fall film Jojo Rabbit is gonna be a huge Oscar player - she could get a double nom since she's going supporting there.

Also, Irishman won't be ready in time for any of the big fests at this rate; might be another Silence awards-wise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Nah i think minions are much bigger global phenomenon than pets 2 ever was

DM3 still still did a billion dollars just 2 years ago 

also minions 2 will have origin story of how they met 

I could see it dropping 200-300 million nothing more 

Yeah but DM3 dropped hard from Minions and DM2 domestically. At the very least a domestic drop is happening.

As for $1B films, have you heard the tale of Alice Through The Looking Glass?

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Little Women seems a bit no1curr, while I can see Marriage Story winning Picture as well as Actor/Actress. Even then, Johansson's other fall film Jojo Rabbit is gonna be a huge Oscar player - she could get a double nom since she's going supporting there.

Also, Irishman won't be ready in time for any of the big fests at this rate; might be another Silence awards-wise.

I'm not familiar with Little Women or Marriage Story (not even heard of that) but I reaaally doubt Jojo Rabbit is an Oscar player. It's a comedy.

I saw someone the other day suggest that Taika Waititi in Jojo Rabbit is a frontrunner for Best Supporting Actor...

Some sections of the internet are just deluded.

Comedies don't play well at awards, particularly Oscars, they never have and they never will.

As for Irishman not being ready, perhaps Netflix should push it back to next October 2020 and spent another $30m in the meantime...? 🤔

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Yeah but DM3 dropped hard from Minions and DM2 domestically. At the very least a domestic drop is happening.

As for $1B films, have you heard the tale of Alice Through The Looking Glass?

It dropped about 100 million 

dropping hard would The secret life of pets 1 to 2. That’s 500 million drop 

regarding Alice. I’m going under assumption that the movies I mentioned aren’t gonna be total trash quality wise like Alice 2 which had a 29% RT 

3 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

It dropped about 100 million 

dropping hard would The secret life of pets 1 to 2. That’s 500 million drop 

regarding Alice. I’m going under assumption that the movies I mentioned aren’t gonna be total trash quality wise like Alice 2 which had a 29% RT 

Still Minions was one of the few animated films with a sub 3.0x multiple, and had bad WOM. IA3-4 stayed practically flat but IA5 died.

• Like 1