sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

God, Hobbs and Shaw heading towards a flop too? Hollywood disappointing? I'm in this for the film festival hype, movie reviews, and awards season stuff now. What a dreadful time to follow box office. Making me sad, man.

18 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Is this the first time we've had four $300m+ films in the Top 10 simultaneously? There were three a couple weekends ago (TS4, Aladdin, EG) and Jul. 6-8 last year (JW:FK, I2, Deadpool 2) and maybe some other weekends I've missed.

Sorry about that false alarm in my prior post.

I did some checking and I couldn't see any.  For many years there weren't even four 300m+ released in the same year.  2007 would be the first year that happened, near as I can tell and while the releases were close to each other, they weren't close enough.  When Transformers crossed 300m, everything was already out of the Top 10, including itself (position #12 on Friday and #11 for the weekend).

Next year with four 300m grossers would be 2010, but that doesn't work since Twilight barely scraped over at the end of its run.

2012? Spread out throughout the calendar.  Same for 2013.

There was a chance in 2015, but the dates didn't match up near as I can tell, as FF7 fell out of the Top 10 too soon and Minions crossed 300m too late.

2016 had a real shot, but doesn't look like the overlap happened. 2017 looks to be too spread out as well.

So, after a fair amount of looking (though not exhaustive) looks like it. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile re: OUATIH:

Ultimately, the test will not come from adjusted grosses or comps, but how well the film can sustain in the weeks ahead. Sony hasn’t supplied a demographic breakdown, but individual theater grosses suggest that it so far lacks the vital minority-audience support critical for most breakout hits.

The top six theaters were all in Los Angeles. Three of the top 10 totals were theaters that included 70mm prints, with Arclight Hollywood (despite some early show issues) grossing over $500,000 alone. (Chicago’s Music Box and Manhattan’s Village East, not normally high-end grossers for studio films, also placed high.) The 70mm screens will gross around $400,000, with 51 theaters that play in 35mm taking in an additional $800,000.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-not-tarantino-best-opening-box-office-1202161528/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

I don't think anyone has seriously cared about Endgame "spoilers" (lol) for a month. But them's the rules.

as a box office site we should have a rule that once a movie becomes the highest grossing movie of all-time it's ok to post spoilers. because... c'mon.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

God, Hobbs and Shaw heading towards a flop too? Hollywood disappointing? I'm in this for the film festival hype, movie reviews, and awards season stuff now. What a dreadful time to follow box office. Making me sad, man.

I'm not expecting good things domestically for H&S, but I'm pretty sure OS results will put things in the black, right?

Ticket sales for Hobbs & Shaw seem to be very good so far around me? Not sure why the panic buttons are being pressed yet unless it carries a budget so massive profitability isn't guaranteed (which would be dumb on Universal's part).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

as a box office site we should have a rule that once a movie becomes the highest grossing movie of all-time it's ok to post spoilers. because... c'mon.

I still haven’t seen Endgame but spoilers have come my way.  And it’s fine

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ticket sales for Hobbs & Shaw seem to be very good so far around me? Not sure why the panic buttons are being pressed yet unless it carries a budget so massive profitability isn't guaranteed (which would be dumb on Universal's part).

I don't know. I'll check some of the theaters around me later tonight, but I've been sensing zero buzz on this. Maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of the franchise or whatever, but I don't see anyone talking about it, both online and in real life. Fate of the Furious felt like it had way more chatter by comparison. It could end up hitting 70M or something by the end, but honestly an opening in the 50s would not surprise me in the slightest.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I don't know. I'll check some of the theaters around me later tonight, but I've been sensing zero buzz on this. Maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of the franchise or whatever, but I don't see anyone talking about it, both online and in real life. Fate of the Furious felt like it had way more chatter by comparison. It could end up hitting 70M or something by the end, but honestly an opening in the 50s would not surprise me in the slightest.

The Fast & Furious movies are huge guilty pleasures of mine but I don't disagree with this tbh. Definitely feels like the least amount of buzz surrounding any of these movies since Tokyo Drift.

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

Is this the first time we've had four $300m+ films in the Top 10 simultaneously? There were three a couple weekends ago (TS4, Aladdin, EG) and Jul. 6-8 last year (JW:FK, I2, Deadpool 2) and maybe some other weekends I've missed.

54 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Sorry about that false alarm in my prior post.

I did some checking and I couldn't see any.  For many years there weren't even four 300m+ released in the same year.  2007 would be the first year that happened, near as I can tell and while the releases were close to each other, they weren't close enough.  When Transformers crossed 300m, everything was already out of the Top 10, including itself (position #12 on Friday and #11 for the weekend).

Next year with four 300m grossers would be 2010, but that doesn't work since Twilight barely scraped over at the end of its run.

2012? Spread out throughout the calendar.  Same for 2013.

There was a chance in 2015, but the dates didn't match up near as I can tell, as FF7 fell out of the Top 10 too soon and Minions crossed 300m too late.

2016 had a real shot, but doesn't look like the overlap happened. 2017 looks to be too spread out as well.

So, after a fair amount of looking (though not exhaustive) looks like it. 👍

Neat trivia to notice, and good confirmatory research.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Fast & Furious movies are huge guilty pleasures of mine but I don't disagree with this tbh. Definitely feels like the least amount of buzz surrounding any of these movies since Tokyo Drift.

Admittedly, I think a big part of that does have to do with a lot of other movies currently in theaters sucking up all the buzz and attention. Far From Home and Lion King were both humongous, and even Once Upon was a bit of a breakout with adult men who would be interested in this. By comparison, Guardians of the Galaxy arrived after an abysmal July, and Suicide Squad was targeting a much younger audience compared to Ghostbusters/Star Trek/Bourne a couple weeks before it.

Edited by CoolEric258

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Admittedly, I think a big part of that does have to do with a lot of other movies currently in theaters sucking up all the buzz and attention. Far From Home and Lion King were both humongous, and even Once Upon was a bit of a breakout with adult men who would be interested in this. By comparison, Guardians of the Galaxy arrived after an abysmal July, and Suicide Squad was targeting a much younger audience compared to Ghostbusters/Star Trek/Bourne a couple weeks before it.

Doesn't help either that this is the summer of franchise movies where the entire hook is "so...here we go again" have been facing mostly rejection.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Of course they are high around us bro, the last Fast sold like Endgame around here lol. We must be the number one market in America for it.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I wonder what's the highest number of films a single studio has ever had in the Top 10. Last Wednesday and Thursday, Disney had 4 films in the Top 10. 

Is this worldwide? If yes, Disney had 5 films (1st place up to 5th place) in the top 10 in 2016. This year, Disney will have 7.