cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-hayao-miyazaki-animation-sequences.html

Outpouring of love for Miyazaki from fellow animators/directors talking about the Miyazaki sequences that inspired them. The directors interviewed include Rebecca Sugar (Steven Universe), Jorge R. Gutierrez (The Book of Life), Genndy Tartakovksy (Samurai Jack), Vicky Jenson (Shrek), Gary Trousdale (Beauty and the Beast), Brenda Chapman (The Prince of Egypt), Peter Ramsey (Into the Spider-Verse), Jennifer Yuh Nelson (Kung Fu Panda 2 + 3), Tomm Moore (Wolfwalkers), Shannon Tindle (Kubo and the Two Strings), Peter Sohn (Elemental), and Domee Shi (Turning Red). Turns out if you ask an animator "how has Miyazaki influenced you?" they're bound to have a lot to say.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

GIWsjj9aYAAcWjH?format=jpg&name=medium

In Japan, The Boy and The Heron return to theatres on March 20 (also with English dub) !

How wide is the release? I wonder if they can push it over ¥10 billion. 

35 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

How wide is the release? I wonder if they can push it over ¥10 billion. 

¥8.98B as of now

282 Theates and counting...

I hope it can break ¥10B at the same international should get a big push given with the win

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

3c30cb2fgy1hnmpxr35iij21jk26fqg0.jpg

I love the fact that Alibaba Pictures is going with the Original Title for China!

What is the release date?

Also, do you think it will do well being released in Japan with the English dub and Japanese subtitles?

7 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

What is the release date?

Also, do you think it will do well being released in Japan with the English dub and Japanese subtitles?

They said Qingming Festival (1st Week of April) so we will know the date this week (if they hold that date)

About Japan, I believe that Heron does has the stamina to reach ¥10B

Studio Ghibli’s chief operating officer Kiyofumi Nakajima appeared backstage to issue the statement via a translator, apologizing for Suzuki and Miyazaki’s absence, saying, “Please forgive them. They’re kind of up there in the age bracket.”

Here's Toshio Suzuki's statement, which Nakajima delivered to the press:

As producer of The Boy and the Heron, I am extremely honored to receive the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the Academy. I would also like to give my thanks to those who were involved in the production of this film, and to all those who worked to distribute the film worldwide. This film began with director Hayao Miyazaki retracting his retirement statement. Following that, we spent seven years in the production of this work. It has been ten years since Hayao Miyazaki’s previous film, The Wind Rises, during which time there have been dramatic changes in the environment surrounding films. This film was truly difficult to bring to completion. I am very appreciative that the work that was created after overcoming these difficulties has been seen by so many people around the world, and that it has received this recognition. Both Hayao Miyazaki and I have aged a considerable amount. I am grateful to receive such an honor at my age, and taking this as a message to continue our work, I will devote myself to work harder in the future.

• Heart 1