A Marvel Fanboy

Haunted Mansion | July 28, 2023 | Tiffany Haddish, Lakeith Stanfield | Justin Simien directs, Katie Dippold writes

On 7/16/2023 at 7:18 PM, SpiderByte said:

Honestly my only question is why July? Why not something closer to Halloween?

I guess they though everybody will be releasing a horror themed movie near Halloween, and wanted to avoid the competition.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Fair. It'll be on Disney+ for Halloween at least. But yeah by all appearances this is a nice family-friendly type "spooky" horror thing

Expect anything different?

I think one problem is 160 Million is a lot to spend on this kind of movie. It is the kind of film that could be profitibal at 75 to a 100 Million, but not at 160 Million. It has to do 300 Million , roughly, just to break even.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

This is facing Barbenheimer's 2nd weekend. It feels like Disney left this out to die.

THM should have never moved from it's August 11th date.

They likely moved it up in order to have it on Disney+ by Halloween. They probably figured it'd never be a theatrical hit in this day and age so they'll at least get some seasonal streaming fodder out of it. I wouldn't go as far as to think they're deliberately burying it under Barbenheimer though, as back when this got moved up, Barbie was still seen as a Detective Pikachu-style lame duck. A lot didn't see that movement coming.