Eric Furiosa

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

23 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

This statement still a thing?

Repeat with me: Feminism and diversity have jackshit to do with bad storytelling. 

Its impact on good storytelling is also only to the extent that a seldom explored POV is highlighted, but then too the hard work needs to be put in to ensure your strong women and minority characters aren't just tokens but well-rounded, complex characters. But by themselves feminism and diversity haven't made a story bad lol.

That was not what the post is about:

its about Mendelson in certain cases only looks for female lead.... and seems to miss and also to not care about the quality of storytelling - why certain movies did not click with GA or the fans or....

As he also promotes quality.... in general, its a contradiction.

He weight seemingly one over the other and does not even hints about the problems in the storytelling, when the GA does not click with the movie... he is behaving like a martyr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

This statement still a thing?

Repeat with me: Feminism and diversity have jackshit to do with bad storytelling. 

Its impact on good storytelling is also only to the extent that a seldom explored POV is highlighted, but then too the hard work needs to be put in to ensure your strong women and minority characters aren't just tokens but well-rounded, complex characters. But by themselves feminism and diversity haven't made a story bad lol.

That’s fair. I guess I did word it improperly.

What I should have said was when it comes to those elements, in order for them to be effective, they need to be significant to the movie as a whole, which is why Joe Russo’s Endgame cameo was *not* the MCU breakthrough he says it was. And I feel like Scott feels similarly to Joe Russo in terms of inclusion and representation.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CJohn said:

Entire cities won't have access to the movie as Cineplace, Castello Lopes, Cinema City and UCI won't cover the entire country. Some of those are playing the movie in 3 screens because of the demand. 

It's flat out unbelievable that something like this would happen. You mentioned El Corte Inglés is the only place with a theater showing the film in Lisbon, but doesn't Dolce Vita Tejo in Amadora have a UCI theater?

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2 hours ago, a2k said:

650 odd OS seems likely imo and hoping for 700.

I won't argue against 650 but if China is "just" 250mn, I don't see it doing 700. Accordingly If it's $200mn, $650mn is ruled out.

Basically the film is driven by Asia, I don't see it leg any better there as most Asian markets are least affected by external factors such as weather, etc. F8 did $614mn OS-C from $220mn in like to like markets opening weekend. That will translate to $335mn  OS-C at $120mn weekend. We can bargain at $360mn? 😛

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It's flat out unbelievable that something like this would happen. You mentioned El Corte Inglés is the only place with a theater showing the film in Lisbon, but doesn't Dolce Vita Tejo in Amadora have a UCI theater?

Yes, but that is a bit outside the center of the city. Cinema City Campo Pequeno is also showing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a2k said:

F8 didn't have particularly good legs did it? At least Dom was pretty bad 2.29x and guessing OS was lower than expected too.

Feel Dom for H&S will do around 2.8x (say 175 after 62 ow) and OS could show tantamount growth in legs. The calendar is different from F8 and F7. Not much to come in August in form of big competition. 650 odd OS seems likely imo and hoping for 700.

175 dom and 650 OS would be a 21-79 split compared to 18-82 of F8, so vety much doable.

(175 dom and 700 OS would be a 20-80 split)

Don't want to saw something wrong but I think F8 holds the record for the worst ever multi for a move that ended in a yearly top 10 in Germany (need to check that sometime though to see if there really wasn't another movie before that had a worse multi). Movies barely miss 3x (F8 had a 2.8x).

7 minutes ago, Rthroar said:

Sat Looking like H&S 20.6, TLK 15.3, OUATIH 7.9, FFH 3.1, TS4 2.9

OUATIH is having just slightly worse holds than Equalizer 2's second weekend. Will end up a few 100k above Basterd's second weekend (I'm expecting a slightly better Sunday drop than Equalizer 2). I'm guessing 19.5 mil weekend.

Edited by lorddemaxus

17 minutes ago, Rthroar said:

Sat Looking like H&S 20.6, TLK 15.3, OUATIH 7.9, FFH 3.1, TS4 2.9

That's a 38% jump from Fri for TLK, and a 48-49% drop from last saturday. Points to a 38.5M+ 3rd we (wish the actuals could put it on the 40M). 

Hopefully TLK weekend drop goes sub 50% and summer-august legs start kicking off. 

Edited by meriodejaneiro

15% bump from true Friday for H&S.

17.04 (-17.5%)

= 61.41

16.52 (-20%)

= 60.89

OUTAH

7.9 (+40%)

6.3 (-20%)

= 19.85

TLK

15.3 (+38%)