Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

I don't know why but I have the feeling that No Time to Die will have a big drop in uk in comparaison with Spectre and Skyfall, I think something like around $85M-$95M and I think this drop will not help this movie, my prediction is something around $700M-$750M worldwide

OW will definitely see a drop since it opens on a Thursday instead of a Monday(!) like Spectre did, so I hope that people don’t start overreacting when it doesn’t open to a new Bond record.

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

OW will definitely see a drop since it opens on a Thursday instead of a Monday(!) like Spectre did, so I hope that people don’t start overreacting when it doesn’t open to a new Bond record.

It'll open lower for sure but it'll have good legs since it's opening before Easter rather than October and it has a month to itself as Black Widow isn't out until May.

Inivisible Man with £2.2m opening weekend. (per Screendaily)

Parasite now overtaken £10m and beating out Passion of the Christ is pretty much guaranteed. Amazing achievement.

Sonic has overtaken Detective Pikachu with £14.7m ($18.8m). Call of the Wild collapsed pretty badly second weekend and is at £2.3

Emma, at £6.2, with a genuine chance of out-grossing Birds of Prey, at £8.4, in the UK. Made about twice the latter this weekend.

One-off evening screening of The Lighthouse in Preston (handful of days expansion with most of them in the morning - just really weird) was about half full yesterday. Disappointed that films like this, Colour out of Space and Portrait OALOF aren't opening wider but that's the way of things. Has made as much (£1.3m) as Queen and Slim though which did open wide. Dark Waters also opened wide this weekend and didn't do too badly, just short of a mill. Downhill was DOA wide.

Running tallies for Lil Women £22m ($28.2m), Bad Boys 4L £15.7m ($20.1m) , Dolittle £15.4m ($19.7m), Jojo Rabbit £7.9m ($10.1m), Frozen 2 £53.6m ($68.6m), Jumanji £36.7m ($47.0m) , Gentlemen £11.9m ($15.2m)

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Dolittle dropped from my local, Sonic already down to two showings. 

Interestingly, Military Wives has more showings than Onward and also has the Superscreen to itself. 

Fantasy Island, The Photograph, Dark Waters and Invisible Man all 5 showings. The rest have one, two or three. 

Wonder if Military Wives can beat Onward? 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Wonder if Military Wives can beat Onward? 

I highly doubt it. Military Wives is a ghost town looking at pre-sales for the London area. I’m surprised to see it getting premium formats too (it’s on the Dolby Cinema screen at Odeon Leicester Square...they’re going to have a quiet weekend...). I’d be surprised if it even beats the second weekend of The Invisible Man to be honest. 

It’ll likely do most of its business during the week as it seems like it’ll be older skewing. Onward will be an easy number 1 this weekend.

Prebookings for Onward are looking really bad at my cinema. Military Wives looks like it will underperform compared to our hopes (we normally do really well with this kind of film).

Hard to tell of course but we're estimating we're down about 25% in the last week on normal business levels. Can only see it getting worse with the coronavirus progressing.

Disney topped the UK box office charts with Pixar animation Onward for the first time since the first week of January.  The film grossed £2.6m on its three-day weekend and has £3.4m in total following previews on February 29.

This is down on the openings of recent Disney-Pixar collaborations Toy Story 4 (£13.3m), Incredibles 2 (£9.6m) and Coco (£5.2m), as well as previous standalone hits Inside Out (£7.4m) and Up (£6.4m).

The Call Of The Wild fell 63% on its third session with £188,000 taking it to £2.7m, while Bollywood threequel Baaghi 3 opened to £165,000.

Universal

Last week’s number one The Invisible Manposted a 28.9% fall with £1.5m. It has £5m after two weekends and is closing in on the top 10 grosses by Blumhouse Productions titles in the UK (2012’s Sinister currently 10th with £6.6m).

Dolittle fell 56.7% with £362,179 taking it to £15.7m after five weekends; while Emma performed similarly, dropping 57.9% with £283,706 taking it to £7.1m after four weekends.

Romance The Photograph struggled on opening, grossing just £29,671 from 179 locations, a low £166 average.

Paramount

Sonic The Hedgehog dropped 51% on its fourth weekend, with £951,000 taking it to an impressive £18.5m cume to date. 

Like A Boss added £38,000 for £982,000

Lionsgate

Feelgood choir drama Military Wives opened to £890,307 from 671 locations, for a £1,327 average. Including previews, the film has £964,373.

Curzon/Studiocanal

Bong Joon Ho’s Oscar and Palme d’Or winner Parasite has now broken the record for highest-grossing non-English language film of all time in the UK.

It grossed £528,864 on its fifth weekend, taking it to £11.5m in total – past the £11.1m of Mel Gibson’s 2004 title The Passion Of The Christ

Its fall of 49.2% on its previous session was its biggest to date; however, it is still to fall more than 50% on any weekend.

It is the sixth highest-grossing 2020 release so far in the UK, behind 1917, Bad Boys For Life, Sonic The Hedgehog, Dolittle and The Gentlemen.

eOne

Todd Haynes’ Dark Waters fell 42% on its second weekend, with £499,276 bringing it to £1.9m to date.

1917 dropped 59.5% on its ninth session with £246,594 and is up to £43.4m; while 

More2Screen

Event cinema release Riverdance 25thAnniversary Show took £320,961 and a £756 location average on its Tuesday, March 3 opening date. Through the weekend it has a £637,094 total amount. 

DC Extended Universe title Birds Of Preyadded £135,000 on its fifth session – a 62.3% drop – and has £8.7m in total.

Curzon

Céline Sciamma’s Portrait Of A Lady On Fireadded £91,009 on its second weekend, a decent drop of just 31.5%. It has £431,366 in total. It is now Sciamma’s highest-grossing film in the UK, heading towards double the £232,511 of 2015’s Girlhood.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Disney topped the UK box office charts with Pixar animation Onward for the first time since the first week of January.  The film grossed £2.6m on its three-day weekend and has £3.4m in total following previews on February 29.

This is down on the openings of recent Disney-Pixar collaborations Toy Story 4 (£13.3m), Incredibles 2 (£9.6m) and Coco (£5.2m), as well as previous standalone hits Inside Out (£7.4m) and Up (£6.4m).

The Call Of The Wild fell 63% on its third session with £188,000 taking it to £2.7m, while Bollywood threequel Baaghi 3 opened to £165,000.

Universal

Last week’s number one The Invisible Manposted a 28.9% fall with £1.5m. It has £5m after two weekends and is closing in on the top 10 grosses by Blumhouse Productions titles in the UK (2012’s Sinister currently 10th with £6.6m).

Dolittle fell 56.7% with £362,179 taking it to £15.7m after five weekends; while Emma performed similarly, dropping 57.9% with £283,706 taking it to £7.1m after four weekends.

Romance The Photograph struggled on opening, grossing just £29,671 from 179 locations, a low £166 average.

Paramount

Sonic The Hedgehog dropped 51% on its fourth weekend, with £951,000 taking it to an impressive £18.5m cume to date. 

Like A Boss added £38,000 for £982,000

Lionsgate

Feelgood choir drama Military Wives opened to £890,307 from 671 locations, for a £1,327 average. Including previews, the film has £964,373.

Curzon/Studiocanal

Bong Joon Ho’s Oscar and Palme d’Or winner Parasite has now broken the record for highest-grossing non-English language film of all time in the UK.

It grossed £528,864 on its fifth weekend, taking it to £11.5m in total – past the £11.1m of Mel Gibson’s 2004 title The Passion Of The Christ

Its fall of 49.2% on its previous session was its biggest to date; however, it is still to fall more than 50% on any weekend.

It is the sixth highest-grossing 2020 release so far in the UK, behind 1917, Bad Boys For Life, Sonic The Hedgehog, Dolittle and The Gentlemen.

eOne

Todd Haynes’ Dark Waters fell 42% on its second weekend, with £499,276 bringing it to £1.9m to date.

1917 dropped 59.5% on its ninth session with £246,594 and is up to £43.4m; while 

More2Screen

Event cinema release Riverdance 25thAnniversary Show took £320,961 and a £756 location average on its Tuesday, March 3 opening date. Through the weekend it has a £637,094 total amount. 

DC Extended Universe title Birds Of Preyadded £135,000 on its fifth session – a 62.3% drop – and has £8.7m in total.

Curzon

Céline Sciamma’s Portrait Of A Lady On Fireadded £91,009 on its second weekend, a decent drop of just 31.5%. It has £431,366 in total. It is now Sciamma’s highest-grossing film in the UK, heading towards double the £232,511 of 2015’s Girlhood.

What about Fantasy Island?

7 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

What about Fantasy Island?

Oh yeh, I checked but Sony hadn’t numbers for any of their films at the time of writing. Must be under £529k as Parasite grossed that at #5. 

Edited by Krissykins