Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

13 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Am I right in recalling though that in $ Avatar came out at a time of a ridiculous $/£ exchange rate?

I mean the difference between the mid 2000s and now is enormous. Surely theres's no way a movie now can make in $ conversion what it would have done in 2004-2010.

I may be completely wrong.

Only massive films like Top Gun Maverick have a chance at topping $100m in the UK these days due to the weak pound.

Back in 2007 Order of the Phoenix broke the $100m mark and it didn’t even top £50m. If exchanges were that strong now, the UK would have multiple $150m+ films and some even over $200m

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Italian market feels like it has shrunk much more to me though for example. If this film does, say, 40M+ final in Italy, which feels realistic to me, it would be the first hollywood film to do so since...well, Avatar. UK going 60-70M would be nowhere near as impressive.

UK had much higher inflation than Italy. Am not really focussing on gross, even local currency but admits.

27 minutes ago, Heretic said:

What would be interesting is to see what drops will be in local currency for end gross for all markets, as that removes currency complications also for comparison purposes.

UK I think is looking at ~40% drop from Avatar in pounds, but potentially 55%+ in $. But we’ll have to wait and see how strong legs are. Could even be higher.

That said, I was expecting 30%+ drop in France, Germany, Italy and Spain for full run as most films have not come closer to Avatar performance.

UK on other hand we had TFA beating A1, probably Skyfall and Spectre as well, NWH and EG getting close to it. So was expecting a smaller drop in UK to be around 10M admits vs 11.5M of first one. That's why was thinking of 1.5M+ weekend admits.

but guess UK will also be dropping 30%+ 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

UK had much higher inflation than Italy. Am not really focussing on gross, even local currency but admits.

That said, I was expecting 30%+ drop in France, Germany, Italy and Spain for full run as most films have not come closer to Avatar performance.

UK on other hand we had TFA beating A1, probably Skyfall and Spectre as well, NWH and EG getting close to it. So was expecting a smaller drop in UK to be around 10M admits vs 11.5M of first one. That's why was thinking of 1.5M+ weekend admits.

but guess UK will also be dropping 30%+ 

I just think the market has changed a lot since 2009. TFA was a freak performance which won’t be repeated any time soon if ever, and Bond has been a monster in the UK ever since Skyfall. Endgame’s success obviously speaks for itself as does NWH with the return of Maguire and Garfield. 

Avatar 2 on the other hand is different. Avatar was groundbreaking at the time and a must see event even for non-cinema goers. This is not the case for Avatar 2, and the interest among more general audiences is no where near the level of its predecessor. Avatar also doesn’t have the lasting legacy or cultural impact in the UK like other films mentioned. When you take all these considerations into account I don’t think the fall is that shocking, albeit maybe disappointing. 

I don’t see this getting to £70m.

£55m is max I see but obviously can’t tell which trajectory this is on until we see weekdays and Christmas legs. Next weekend though will likely drop 60% plus due to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. 

3 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Italian market feels like it has shrunk much more to me though for example. If this film does, say, 40M+ final in Italy, which feels realistic to me, it would be the first hollywood film to do so since...well, Avatar. UK going 60-70M would be nowhere near as impressive.

In italy The lion king made 43M 

4 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Don’t do any predict before 3rd weekend end

Dude we get it. You can stop saying this. Each additional day we wait we’ll get more accurate predictions, but waiting 15+ days to talk about final totals is boring as shit. Most of the fun of a BO forum like this is trying to predict off present info, not waiting a long time to predict until almost all the uncertainty is gone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1