Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

19 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I am aware of this, but Christmas doesn't really have a family film outside of Matilda which will be 4 weeks old by the time the holidays start. 

TBH Sing 2 did gangbuster business with a delayed release so I can see Universal's logic. 

On 12/10/2022 at 9:26 AM, UKBoxOffice said:

Top Gun: Maverick was back in the top 5 yesterday with the re-release. Only £25k though.

It's going to be a very quiet weekend with no new releases and the England game tonight.

I was in a pub (in Scotland) during that game last night and you can imagine the huge reaction to the result 😂

You’d have thought Scotland won the whole thing, and we didn’t even qualify lol. 

• Haha 1

Avatar looking very busy in PLF’s this coming weekend, IMAX and 4DX seem to be doing really well, with the 19:30 IMAX being practically sold out on Friday and Saturday already. 2D and regular 3D look like ghost towns though, so it definitely seems like people are choosing PLF’s or waiting for the next day when better seats are available.

It’s almost comical how dead the regular shows are considering the sheer amount of showtimes. I’m sure they’ll fill up with walk ups though.

Cannes 2022 title The Silent Twins opened to £26,859 for Universal from 158 locations, at a £170 location average.

Lorcan Finnegan’s thriller Nocebo opened to £13,685 from 138 locations for Vertigo Releasing, at a per-cinema average of £99.

Two horrendous PTA openings there. 

Nice drops for Matilda (-16%) and Violent Night (-31%). The Menu hit £3m. 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Nice drops for Matilda (-16%) and Violent Night (-31%). The Menu hit £3m. 

Pleased for Violent Night. I saw it last night and found it to be a lot more fun than the miserly reviews seemed to indicate. It knew what it was (a Die Hard rip off) and just had fun with it, David Harbour was great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Pleased for Violent Night. I saw it last night and found it to be a lot more fun than the miserly reviews seemed to indicate. It knew what it was (a Die Hard rip off) and just had fun with it, David Harbour was great.

Yeh I loved it. The reviews are actually pretty good. 

Audience seemed really into it too. 

Rewatching Avatar for the first time since 2009 in prep for Friday. 

• Like 1

09-11 WEEKEND FIGURES 

Film Distributor Weeks on release Weekend Total Total Box Office
1 Roald Dahl’s Matilda the Musical Sony Pictures 3 £2,102,866 £10,784,499
2 BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER Walt Disney 5 £803,799 £30,830,077
3 Violent Night Universal Pictures 2 £567,350 £1,943,276
4 Strange World Walt Disney 3 £305,802 £1,779,332
5 The Menu Walt Disney 4 £192,827 £3,018,300
6 Elf Park Circus 158 £148,970 £955,647
7 Nutcracker – ROH, London 2022 (Ballet), The Royal Opera House 1 £133,397 £702,215
8 Home Alone Park Circus 210 £119,532 £1,483,634
9 The Muppet Christmas Carol (30th Anniversary) Park Circus 2 £94,221 £172,735
10 Polar Express, The (U) Warner Bros. 941 £88,882 £662,133
11 Top Gun Maverick   1 £81,820 £83,575,590
12 She Said Universal Pictures 3 £80,815 £1,173,847
13 Aftersun MUBI 4 £61,192 £831,759
14 CBeebies Panto: Dick Whittington and His Cat Modern Films 2 £60,075 £66,678,141,037
15 Hours – Met Opera 2022 (Opera), The Trafalgar Releasing 1 £54,274 £54,274

Source: Comscore

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Avatar looking very busy in PLF’s this coming weekend, IMAX and 4DX seem to be doing really well, with the 19:30 IMAX being practically sold out on Friday and Saturday already. 2D and regular 3D look like ghost towns though, so it definitely seems like people are choosing PLF’s or waiting for the next day when better seats are available.

It’s almost comical how dead the regular shows are considering the sheer amount of showtimes. I’m sure they’ll fill up with walk ups though.

Honestly I'd rather wait and see Avatar in IMAX 3D with Laser than bog standard 3D. 

I don’t think Avatar 2 will have a huge opening. Pre-sales at popular sites like BFI, CW/Odeon Leicester Square etc are very strong, but at standard cinemas they are nothing special which is understandable. 

Avatar opened to £8.5m, so I am thinking max £12m, although maybe nearer £10m as most will want to watch this in PLF/IMAX for which there is obviously limited capacity. It’s the legs that are key ofcourse.

Also, it’s the WC final this weekend, and even though England aren’t in it, it will still have a huge audience of 15m+ most likely, and it’s on in the middle of the day at 3pm.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

My IMAX showing at 7:30pm is 10 seats away from sold out, that's 440 seats sold! Last time I saw this one sell out was TFA (didn't check Endgame). (With £19-20 for IMAX ticket at this screen, looking like almost £8k from a single showing). Gonna be a blast with being so packed though 😁

In fact, all IMAX and 4DX have been selling very very well. 3D has been good, 2D has been rather... Crap. 

So expect very high ATP for A2 here, but I'm not sure how high it can go given the vacant screens in 2D. 

52 minutes ago, Stewart said:

My IMAX showing at 7:30pm is 10 seats away from sold out, that's 440 seats sold! Last time I saw this one sell out was TFA (didn't check Endgame). (With £19-20 for IMAX ticket at this screen, looking like almost £8k from a single showing). Gonna be a blast with being so packed though 😁

In fact, all IMAX and 4DX have been selling very very well. 3D has been good, 2D has been rather... Crap. 

So expect very high ATP for A2 here, but I'm not sure how high it can go given the vacant screens in 2D. 

What I've been seeing at mine reverses standard 3D and 2D. The need to swap a bigger screen from 3D to 2D

Edited by SchumacherFTW