Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

I think it's a bit of a misnomer to say family crowds haven't returned. Sing 2, Minions 2 and Sonic 2 all did great business, and Matilda, The Bad Guys and Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile have all been solid hits.

The problem has been the lack of decent releases, and Disney (and others, but mainly Disney) dropping the ball completely with their release strategy, marketing and the films themselves. When you look at 2019, Disney alone released The Lion King, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, Frozen 2, Dumbo and Mary Poppins Returns. Compare that to what they've released this year or last year.

When decent family films are released the audiences still show up

• Like 1

I think Disney not having as much product of quality has hurt the family market. 2023 does look very solid for them with The Little Mermaid, Elemental and Wish but I think Universal has some big hitters with Puss in Boots and the Super Mario Bros Movie. 

I mean they haven't returned overall if you look at yearly figures, some film had success due to starvation in the market. MINIONS played forever, same with MATILDA gonna have a great run. It's the inbetween films that disappointed. Yes, Disney messed up this year. 2023 will be better all across the board.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

are they even doing HFR in the UK outside of Dolby 3D screens?

Yes. IMAX is HFR and there’s even some cinemas showing the 2D version in HFR (which is a bit pointless). Curiously when I watched it again last night in regular 3D, it was just the standard 24fps version, although I’ve got to admit, it wasn’t as much of a step down as I was expecting, infact losing the random judder where it would go from 48 to 24 might actually be preferable.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Disney not having as much product of quality has hurt the family market. 2023 does look very solid for them with The Little Mermaid, Elemental and Wish but I think Universal has some big hitters with Puss in Boots and the Super Mario Bros Movie. 

Quality isn't really the issue, plenty of awful films have made money. The bigger issue on Disney's side is conditioning the audience that they need only wait a month and it'll be on Disney+. The others may hit PVOD by then, but that's negligible due to the heavy price tag. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

How does everyone feel about the number of rereleases doing well in the UK at the mo?

Good and a template for how things actually should be with returns to the past and greats having short runs....

Or a worrying sign of the sheer amount of padding needed at the minute?

I like that old films are still popular in cinemas, especially when they’re easily available at home. 

For example:

Elf is free on Sky and Now.

Home Alone 1 & 2 are free on Disney+

It’s A Wonderful Life is free on six streamers here in the UK, including 4 free ones. 

Yet people are still making the effort of going to the cinema to see them. 

I’m seeing Batman Returns on Friday with a sold out crowd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I like that old films are still popular in cinemas, especially when they’re easily available at home. 

For example:

Elf is free on Sky and Now.

Home Alone 1 & 2 are free on Disney+

It’s A Wonderful Life is free on six streamers here in the UK, including 4 free ones. 

Yet people are still making the effort of going to the cinema to see them. 

I’m seeing Batman Returns on Friday with a sold out crowd. 

There's definitely an audience for older movies, though they can always sustain full rereleases. More one night only releases would be great going forward. Blade, Robocop, tons of older Horror movies all did great business at my local this year. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Heretic said:

So looks like this could get £9m Mon-Thu. Strong weekdays. Maybe £24-25m after Saturday. 

Avatar is more than making up for the lower than expected OW. There is interest in the film but people are waiting or booking for PLFs rather than bog standard screens.