baumer

Top 30 films of 1989 (baumer's favourite year)IMDB is the source...if it's 1989 on IMDb it qualifies...Aug 25th is deadline

Finally, some time for a countdown! So busy lately... Count me in for the upcoming foreign movie countdown, gotta get some asia representation in there :D

So here's my tentative list for now

In the Line of Duty 4
Devil Hunters
Kiki's Delivery Service
The Killer
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
The Iceman Cometh
Weekend at Bernie's
Back to the Future II
Kickboxer
The Inspector Wears Skirts II

So basically a Hong Kong best of and American blockbusters... and Kiki

of course Donnie Yen would top my list @baumer haha

BTW in DEVIL HUNTERS there is the single most exploitative ending stunt ever put on film, it has to be seen to be believed. The movie ends on the producer explaining what went wrong and it cuts to the end credits sequence which consists of a newspaper montage of the lead actors in the hospital LMAO

What the hell

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I like it quite a bit but not as much as the ones I ranked above it.

Just a guess but I may not be alone. :rock:

It's the movie that introduced me to 1989 years ago. 

John Cusack in this and Better off dead... was just amazing to me. I love this two movies.

2 hours ago, tawasal said:

Why is SAY ANYTHING... so low on many lists so far? 

Cause it feels like one of those movies that I obsessed over a decade ago, but would watch now-a-days and find John Cusack's character terrible and hate it.  So I'm going to put it on the list at 13 and keep my fond memories of it, but not power rank it.  

My Top Ten is:

1. The Little Mermaid
  2. Do The Right Thing
  3. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
  4. Batman
  5. When Harry Met Sally...
  6. Steel Magnolias
  7. Henry V
  8. Field of Dreams
  9. Glory
  10. The Fabulous Baker Boys

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@tawasal

here you go

1) When Harry Met Sally

2) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

3) Christmas Vacation

4) Parenthood

5) Say Anything

6) Glory

7) Casualties of War

😎 Driving Miss Daisy

9} Dead Poet's Society

10} Major League

I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

I got a question. If you guys know so much about women, how come you're here at like the Gas 'n' Sip on a Saturday night completely alone drinking beers with no women anywhere?

What I really want to do with my life - what I want to do for a living - is I want to be with your daughter. I'm good at it

One question: are you here 'cause you need someone, or 'cause you need me?... Forget it, I don't care. (my favourite line of the movie)

Mike Cameron: I don't know you very well, you know, but I wanted to ask you - how'd you get Diane Court to go out with you?

Lloyd Dobler: I called her up.

Mike Cameron: But how come it worked? I mean, like, what are you?

Lloyd Dobler: I'm Lloyd Dobler.

Mike Cameron: This is great. This gives me hope. Thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2010s Painkiller Race said:

what time is this due?  i'm going to get started watching about 30 selections today.  i'm going to try to hand it in as late as possible.

You going to try to watch 30 films in the next 3 days LOL? It's due buy Sunday at around midnight. But I'm not going to be a stickler if you handed in a bit late.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, tawasal said:

Why is SAY ANYTHING... so low on many lists so far? 

I probably should have ranked it higher myself given how Deadpool 2 paid a wonderful homage to the film. The film has certainly earned its place among cinematic history.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 2010s Painkiller Race said:

what time is this due?  i'm going to get started watching about 30 selections today.  i'm going to try to hand it in as late as possible.

That’s some dedication if you can pull it off.

16 minutes ago, tawasal said:

@baumer what are your thoughts about the movie Heathers and where are you placing it? 

I don't know his thoughts, but my thoughts are it was released in 1988 ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tawasal said:

@baumer what are your thoughts about the movie Heathers and where are you placing it? 

I liked Heathers a lot.  I think it's in the middle of the pack for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

I don't know his thoughts, but my thoughts are it was released in 1988 ;)

According to imdb, it was released in 89 in the US...March to be exact, so it qualifies for this list,  

• Like 3

Just now, baumer said:

According to imdb, it was released in 89 in the US...March to be exact, so it qualifies for this list,  

Uh, well lots of other movies weren't released in 89 in the US, and people are voting for them, or were released in 89 in the US and people aren't voting for them.

I understand making an exception for Heathers, though, because it's an 1989 release in its home country. Like only Italy saw it in 1988.

• Like 1