baumer

Top 30 films of 1989 (baumer's favourite year)IMDB is the source...if it's 1989 on IMDb it qualifies...Aug 25th is deadline

After days of contemplation, and some jockeying of position, here is my list.  Shockingly, Last Crusade is not number one.  The list is a mix of blockbusters, Oscar movies and a few movies that did almost nothing at the box office but over time became cult favorites.  

1) When Harry Met Sally:  One of my all time favourite films.  Nora Ephron wrote one of the best screenplays in Hollywood history, imo

2) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:  The second best of the Indy movies.  Connery and Ford have terrific chemistry.

3) Christmas Vacation:  The best Christmas movie ever made.  And one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

4) Parenthood:  For about a decade, Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandell were Hollywood royalty.  They wrote some of the funniest films of the 80's and 90's.  This is one of them

5) Say Anything:  Cameron crowe's best film, imo.  Fast Times and Ridgemont High is his funniest written film, but this is his best directed.

6) Glory:  What a cast.  When you have Zel and Morgan in the same film, can it really be anything but incredible?

7) Casualties of War:  If it wasn't for the first and last 5 minutes of the movie, this might have been the best film of 89.

😎 Driving Miss Daisy:  Freeman again is terrific and I loved the chemistry of he and Tandy.

9} Dead Poet's Society:  Carpe Diem

10} Major League:  The funniest baseball film ever made and one of the top ten sports movies 

11) Road House:  This will never be mistaken for an Oscar type film, but my Lord what an entertaining movie about a small town and a bad ass bouncer.

12) The Abyss:  Cameron's worst film is still one of the years best.

13) Crimes and Misdemeanors:  Not a big Allen fan, but he has about three or four films I adore.  This is one of them.

14) Skin Deep:  Glow in the dark condoms.  If you haven't seen this, do it just for the condoms.

15) Tango and Cash:  Sly and Kurt and terrific together.

16) Weekend at Bernies:  One of the biggest surprises at the box office and in every other way.  I met Terry Kiser last year at a horror movie convention (he was in Friday the 13th VII) and he is one of the coolest actors or celebrities I've ever encountered.  He loves this movie as well.

17) Sex Lies and Videotape:  Soderbergh's debut and it's a good one.

18) Black Rain (US movie):  Ridley Scott is such and under rated director, this is one of very good ones.  Also, a time when Mrs Spielberg was still starring in films.

19) Heathers:  Slater was compared to Jack Nicholson after this film.  

20) Field of Dreams:  I'm not as high on this film as many people my age are, but I do like it.

21) Sea of Love:  People don't realize this but Pacino started his career revival with this film.  After Scarface, he did one small film called Revolution and then in 1989 he burst back on the scene with this excellent thriller.

22) Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure:  Who knew this film would go on to become such the classic it is.

23) The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover:  This might have ranked higher, if I found a way to see it once in the last ten years.  I just remember being kind of bored in a few parts and blown away in others.  The ending is a punch to the gut.

24) An Innocent Man:  One of the massively under rated films of 89.  Selleck is terrific and so is F. Murray Abraham

25) Lethal Weapon 2:  Bigger bolder and funnier than the first.  Not as good, but still lots of fun.

26) Turner and Hooch:  Both police dog movies in 89 (K-9) are good, this one is better.

27) Do the Right Thing:  A blistering debut for Spike (okay I fucked this one up...forgot he had two other films before this one.....that's how much I don't care for Spike.....thanks to @cannastop bringing this to my attention)

28) Uncle Buck:  Candy and Hughes making magic.  A pre-Home Alone Culkin steals the show.

29) Dead Calm:  A beauty Australian film with a stunning Nicole Kidman and Billy Zane scared the shit out of me.  Director Phillip Noyce made some really good films in his career.  He's probably most known for his Jack Ryan work, but this one is as close to a horror film as you can get.

30) Back to the Future Part 2: easily the weakest of the three films but entertaining nonetheless.

• Like 7
  • Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, 75Live said:

@baumer

No surprise that we have a lot of the same non-big films but we still have a decent amount of differences too ;)

Yep. I like your list too. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, baumer said:

23) Karate Kid Part II:  Not nearly as good as the first, but still a very entertaining film.

Karate Kid 2 came out in 86, 89 is when the third one was released.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, baumer said:

After days of contemplation, and some jockeying of position, here is my list.  Shockingly, Last Crusade is not number one.  The list is a mix of blockbusters, Oscar movies and a few movies that did almost nothing at the box office but over time became cult favorites.  

1) When Harry Met Sally:  One of my all time favourite films.  Nora Ephron wrote one of the best screenplays in Hollywood history, imo

2) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:  The second best of the Indy movies.  Connery and Ford have terrific chemistry.

3) Christmas Vacation:  The best Christmas movie ever made.  And one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

4) Parenthood:  For about a decade, Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandell were Hollywood royalty.  They wrote some of the funniest films of the 80's and 90's.  This is one of them

5) Say Anything:  Cameron crowe's best film, imo.  Fast Times and Ridgemont High is his funniest written film, but this is his best directed.

6) Glory:  What a cast.  When you have Zel and Morgan in the same film, can it really be anything but incredible?

7) Casualties of War:  If it wasn't for the first and last 5 minutes of the movie, this might have been the best film of 89.

😎 Driving Miss Daisy:  Freeman again is terrific and I loved the chemistry of he and Tandy.

9} Dead Poet's Society:  Carpe Diem

10} Major League:  The funniest baseball film ever made and one of the top ten sports movies 

11) Road House:  This will never be mistaken for an Oscar type film, but my Lord what an entertaining movie about a small town and a bad ass bouncer.

12) The Abyss:  Cameron's worst film is still one of the years best.

13) Crimes and Misdemeanors:  Not a big Allen fan, but he has about three or four films I adore.  This is one of them.

14) Skin Deep:  Glow in the dark condoms.  If you haven't seen this, do it just for the condoms.

15) Tango and Cash:  Sly and Kurt and terrific together.

16) Weekend at Bernies:  One of the biggest surprises at the box office and in every other way.  I met Terry Kiser last year at a horror movie convention (he was in Friday the 13th VII) and he is one of the coolest actors or celebrities I've ever encountered.  He loves this movie as well.

17) Sex Lies and Videotape:  Soderbergh's debut and it's a good one.

18) Black Rain (US movie):  Ridley Scott is such and under rated director, this is one of very good ones.  Also, a time when Mrs Spielberg was still starring in films.

19) Heathers:  Slater was compared to Jack Nicholson after this film.  

20) Field of Dreams:  I'm not as high on this film as many people my age are, but I do like it.

21) Sea of Love:  People don't realize this but Pacino started his career revival with this film.  After Scarface, he did one small film called Revolution and then in 1989 he burst back on the scene with this excellent thriller.

22) Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure:  Who knew this film would go on to become such the classic it is.

23) The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover:  This might have ranked higher, if I found a way to see it once in the last ten years.  I just remember being kind of bored in a few parts and blown away in others.  The ending is a punch to the gut.

24) An Innocent Man:  One of the massively under rated films of 89.  Selleck is terrific and so is F. Murray Abraham

25) Lethal Weapon 2:  Bigger bolder and funnier than the first.  Not as good, but still lots of fun.

26) Turner and Hooch:  Both police dog movies in 89 (K-9) are good, this one is better.

27) Do the Right Thing:  A blistering debut for Spike (okay I fucked this one up...forgot he had two other films before this one.....that's how much I don't care for Spike.....thanks to @cannastop bringing this to my attention)

28) Uncle Buck:  Candy and Hughes making magic.  A pre-Home Alone Culkin steals the show.

29) Dead Calm:  A beauty Australian film with a stunning Nicole Kidman and Billy Zane scared the shit out of me.  Director Phillip Noyce made some really good films in his career.  He's probably most known for his Jack Ryan work, but this one is as close to a horror film as you can get.

30) Back to the Future Part 2: easily the weakest of the three films but entertaining nonetheless.

jim carrey bow GIF

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cannastop said:

Oh October would work great. I was worried you would tell us  to wait until 2020.

2020 would also be the traditional year for the new animation top 100, which has happened every two years. :ph34r: Already talked to chas about that.

So you are saying you are not waiting for the two original pixar movies that are going to be released in 2020. :whosad:

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

No that would complicate things. Onward might get in though.

This is how that countdown will go: 

1. Pixar
  2. Pixar
  3. Pixar
  4. Pixar
  5. Pixar
  6. Pixar
  7. Pixar
  8. Pixar
  9. Pixar
  10. Pixar

Just now, tawasal said:

This is how that countdown will go: 

1. Pixar
  2. Pixar
  3. Pixar
  4. Pixar
  5. Pixar
  6. Pixar
  7. Pixar
  8. Pixar
  9. Pixar
  10. Pixar
  1. Pixar
  2. Ghibli
  3. WDAS
  4. Pixar
  5. Pixar
  6. WDAS
  7. WDAS
  8. Pixar
  9. Ghibli
  10. Pixar

Also maybe the list will be done in September of 2020, I don't really know. That would allow both 2020 Pixar movies to get in. Crazy we still don't know what WDAS' 2020 movie is for sure.

Also Hayao Miyazaki's real final movie might be released in Japan by then. :ph34r:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:
  1. Pixar
  2. Ghibli
  3. WDAS
  4. Pixar
  5. Pixar
  6. WDAS
  7. WDAS
  8. Pixar
  9. Ghibli
  10. Pixar

Also maybe the list will be done in September of 2020, I don't really know. That would allow both 2020 Pixar movies to get in. Crazy we still don't know what WDAS' 2020 movie is for sure.

Also Hayao Miyazaki's real final movie might be released in Japan by then. :ph34r:

Forgot the 2D era of disney animations from specifically the 90s. 

I need to get down with Miyazaki's animations before that list. 

that's my top 30 sent in... :)

here is my top 10 for interests....

1. Indy Last Crusade..... need we say anymore ;)

2. Turner and Hooch .. still good memories from watching this... possibly overwatched it ... 

3. Dead Poets Society - is one of my favourite Robin Williams films... (possibly my fav... brilliant film... )

4. Bill & Ted - Air Guitar time!  Whoa!

5. Dead Calm - Great little aussie film... a guilty please of mine!

6. Weekend at Bernies - just hilarious

7. Road House 

8. Born on the fourth of july

9. Uncle Buck

10. sex lies and videotape

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Avatree said:

@baumer is there a minimum length that our submission must be?

I really have not seen very many films from 1989.

No there is no minimum length. Grimm has worked out a good system for scoring and regardless of how many films are submitted.

59 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

that's my top 30 sent in... :)

here is my top 10 for interests....

1. Indy Last Crusade..... need we say anymore ;)

2. Turner and Hooch .. still good memories from watching this... possibly overwatched it ... 

3. Dead Poets Society - is one of my favourite Robin Williams films... (possibly my fav... brilliant film... )

4. Bill & Ted - Air Guitar time!  Whoa!

5. Dead Calm - Great little aussie film... a guilty please of mine!

6. Weekend at Bernies - just hilarious

7. Road House 

8. Born on the fourth of july

9. Uncle Buck

10. sex lies and videotape

I love this list and I'm glad that you included sex lies and videotape as well. I totally unseen and underrated gem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1