Sheikh

Weekend Thread - Good Boys 21.4m OW, other openers not worth mentioning

12 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

My mother and I just got out of Blinded By The Light.  I cried the entire movie. My mother cried the entire movie.  The 50 year old man beside me cried the entire movie.  The people in front where singing along during the big dance numbers.

It was such a beautiful and joyous look at how music creates a universal language that helps us all correct better with each other and a strong family drama about learning to find your own voice while honoring your traditions.  I think it's the best thing (other than Endgame) I've seen this year.  It's Boss.

End Game its not even in TOP20 best movies of the year right now. Please. It's fine but that's it. its freaking superhero movie.

Edited by Damianport1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

45 minutes ago, baumer said:

I will always attack Citizen Kane.

I will try to explain this with an example... as a kid i saw every action movie and we literally counted each blows in fist fights, every high roundkick, every good looking explosion.. we were rigorous in this regard and BLIND to its actual quality.. as time passed i started to notice how each film/genre fitted into its historic continuity.. art copies life, life copies art, art copies art and life copies life... after switching to hardcore horrors/thrillers even psycho looks mundane, but to people who never seen anything like it before(same with citizen kane for the people of that era) it must have felt how seeing braveheart/rotk/t2/titanic felt for us.. a GAMECHANGER... now to give some due credit to individual judgmental thinking some classics age better than others... carpenter's the thing is immortal, goonies too, but ARE THEY? is it just me who saw them just in that right moment and is nostalgia playing tricks on me? To answer that we have to go back to ben hur, lawrence of arabia, the third man, paths of glory etc. Those are perfect as they are even tho i havent seen them before they became "old" or quaint looking.. there are examples in between/up to debate as well ofc... so that leaves us in an ungratefull spot to always step back and take a look at the big picture... 

Edit: what was gamechanging in citizen kane for its era? Rosebud- 

"Its not about the money"

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Text added

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

Blinded by the Light is the latest Sundance acquisition that failed to take off. Still surprises me that studios are willing to spend so much on movies there that aren't obvious potential awards contenders but I guess it's all about claiming streaming rights these days.

It was quite an odd acquisition for WB/New Line but at $15m, they probably make that back in the long run and probably combined with the Bruce Springsteen doc, it'll be a good title for HBO Max. 

In terms of OUATIH, I think the premise was way more appealing to OS audience compared to Django and Hateful Eight, both which are Westerns. 

42 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

End Game its not even in TOP20 best movies of the year right now. Please. It's fine but that's it. its freaking superhero movie.

o·pin·ion
/əˈpinyən/
noun
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    "I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"
    synonyms: belief, judgment, thought(s), school of thought, thinking, way of thinking, mind, point of view, view, viewpoint, outlook, angle, slant, side, attitude, stance, perspective, position, standpoint; More
  • Haha 1

@MCKillswitch123 we need to talk about Edir Macedo and IURD. I mean holy hell they bought all the shows available on the weekend. All of them. Were those really sold out? Massive OW for Pris either way.

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_15_a_18_agosto_2019_263915d5aba1d7b039.pdf

Also a good weekend to work on Big Pictures as Once Upon a Time opened well above Django, and Django was a big hit, and Angry Birds 2 performed fine despite dropping 50% from the first movie's OW.

Lion King is less than 100.000 tickets away from AVATAR. I never thought I would see this happening. Maybe the most impressive run ever.

Overall a massive weekend for everyone.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Damianport1 said:

Endgame is easily the best movie of the year right now. It’s THE freaking superhero movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3