RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Sony is making these movies with no effort, they don't even give them a decent budget (the Venom movies cost $110 million each, Morbius had a $75m budget, and Madame Web also cost less than $100m), and are likely tricking movie stars into thinking they're entering the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which until recently was always lucrative and well received. I guess this is a good strategy for Sony because even Morbius may have been profitable with such a low budget.

It's clear they don't think these movies outside of Venom will be too big which is why they are keeping the budgets low and probably hoping for MCU Phase 1 type 300M-450M WW smaller hits that make black even if they don't set the world on fire.

The problem is to keep the budgets so low, outside of the actors, they are hiring the cheapest talent possible, who are either not very experienced or not very efficient (or both), especially when it comes to the hard task of transitioning supporting characters to leads. It's creating major bombs that aren't even meeting the already low expectations set for them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Putting out consistent work, love to see it.

I feel like at some point, the studio execs have to think to themselves that greenlighting movies with this kind of talent is a sick joke. Like when you see a body of work like this, you know the movie's gonna suck. So why even greenlight them or tap them onto the project? It makes no sense.

• Like 3

The 2017 Power Rangers movie at least has its fans, and I don’t think anyone was expecting it to get great reviews in the first place. It just flopped because Power Rangers is too niche for a $100 million+ movie. 

But yeah, that’s not a good resume. 

Edited by WittyUsername

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Holy fuck WHAT. WOW. I know this kind of "naked dress" is fashionable for celebrities atm but Dakotas one takes the cake.

There's very obviously a unitard underneath it. It's just skin colored, with a transparent layer on top.

4 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

How are they supposed to learn when Spider-Man fans reward slop like Venom 1, 2, and NWH? If you keep paying to watch bad movies, guess what, you'll keep getting served bad movies.

No Way Home has the same RT score as Oppenheimer. Where did this narrative that it sucks coming from? It got acclaim from critics and audiences.

37 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

By all accounts it's worse than Morbius, so I hope to see it break the 15%.

It's on its way there. The review count I'm seeing right now is 54 with only 9 fresh, so even though the score hasn't been updated, it's technically down to 17%, which is really 16.67% based on actual math.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wombat said:

If this gets a C or somehow manages to Fant4stic itself to a C- it may not clear a $20M domestic opening weekend on the 6-day. I don't think it has that "something special" dog crap factor that Fant4stic had but you never know. 

I actually went to the theater to watch Fant4stic ( it was discount, though ) and it was the first time that I saw people leaving and insulting a movie so loud. I got scared, but I still paid for it. Anyway, the first act was quite solid ( I was surprised ) and there was some nice plot going on. Acting wasn't bad at all and effects were ok. Problems started when the movie clearly lacked a second act and went straight to the end of a third act with that hilarious fight scene. Fant4stic had a first act, missed a entire second act and only had a half of a third act. It's so crazy, lol. 

However, it seems Madame Web is a mess just as it starts. So, I'm curious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

No Way Home has the same RT score as Oppenheimer. Where did this narrative that it sucks coming from? It got acclaim from critics and audiences.

From it being poorly written fanwank. RT is not the voice of God, it's been off plenty of times.

Edited by Last Man Standing
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I actually went to the theater to watch Fant4stic ( it was discount, though ) and it was the first time that I saw people leaving and insulting a movie so loud. I got scared, but I still paid for it. Anyway, the first act was quite solid ( I was surprised ) and there was some nice plot going on. Acting wasn't bad at all and effects were ok. Problems started when the movie clearly lacked a second act and went straight to the end of a third act with that hilarious fight scene. Fant4stic had a first act, missed a entire second act and only had a half of a third act. It's so crazy, lol. 

However, it seems Madame Web is a mess just as it starts. So, I'm curious. 

makes sense. The first act was directed by Trank, act 2 is when the movie fell apart during production and the third act was a reshoot by Simon Kinberg.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Holy fuck WHAT. WOW. I know this kind of "naked dress" is fashionable for celebrities atm but Dakotas one takes the cake.

Everyone simping over Sydney, but Dakota in that dress DAMN! Love her dry humor throughout the press tour too.

2 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

From it being poorly written fanwank. RT is not the voice of God, it's been off plenty of times.

Okay, but your opinion is not the reigning authority.

The thing about Madame Web that should have caused Sony to say stop was Morbius. After the response to that movie and seeing this movie had the same writers, I would have said scrap it.

2 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Okay, but your opinion is not the reigning authority.

The thing about Madame Web that should have caused Sony to say stop was Morbius. After the response to that movie and seeing this movie had the same writers, I would have said scrap it.

At that point Sony still had two successes (at least box office wise) with the Venom movies so that probably motivated them to keep going. I think they'll only consider their current approach if both Kraven and Venom 3 tank as well.