Eric S'ennui

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

On 11/26/2021 at 9:05 AM, anti-Pedantic said:

I want Sony to sell the rights to Marvel completely and I hate how Marvel made Iron-man's presence a tad bit too much. His presence would not have been that bad but him providing a suit, which had Advanced AI and could even track Spidey, those were things - I was not cool with. I care even less that Zendaya's MJ isn't Mary Jane because as much as I love Tobey's Spiderman in 2nd movie, I hate Kirsten's MJ that much. She was absolute caricature of all teen movie heroines that I used to watch when I was teen. 

Wasn't Sony the one who pushed for 'at least one major MCU character' to be a part of all these films? They plastered Stark all over their marketing too because it was good business. It wasn't enough for Sony to get these films in the MCU they wanted deep connections so they could leech of their goodwill, confuse casuals and pull stunts like the 2019 dispute. Fans complain but Sony loves that connection as can be shown by the fact that Amy Pascal had been dying to do what they did with Venom's post credits since 2017. And by continuously making films for villains they fuck with Spidey's story too. Kraven should be a Spidey movie villain, we don't need a seperate movie for him, he was who I was expecting in NWH.

I actually don't think it would have been as messy without Sony's oversight so I do agree I'm tired of Sony and how they manage the film properties. 

3 hours ago, jaybox said:

Could this movie break 220 million+ OW?  Thoughts? Nostalgia for the past movies, intrigue about Tobey and Andrew, MCU brand, biggest release since the pandemic began, etc. 

It definitely COULD but the likelihood that it will is relatively low. Probably about 5%. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

Certainly better than the 169 some were mentioning a few weeks ago. 

Agreed.  The world needs Spider-Man, but doesn't need a nearly 3-hour-long Spidey movie.  This is already too long.  Most of these Hollywood spectacles are too long, right now... I'm wondering if that's something about the copious investment in visual effects sequences, and studios really just want to make sure they get their money's worth on their investment/putting it all on screen... 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

29 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah imo it was a mistake for the BO to not reveal Tobey/Andrew in the trailers. People who aren't following this won't know and it makes it harder to generate buzz. 

on the other hand this will probably help word of mouth  A LOT , so in end i dont expect to make a difference in terms of final total.

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

on the other hand this will probably help word of mouth  A LOT , so in end i dont expect to make a difference in terms of final total.

I know it's not 1:1, but look at Ultron as an example.  The Saturday was awful, mostly because of the fight, but it wasn't good enough to get people back in the theater once WOM got out.  

The potential that this movie is a huge mess is pretty high, so guarantee yourself as much money as possible!

They don't have to show much at all, just a few seconds of a money shot with all three would be enough to get more butts in seats.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

They don't have to show much at all, just a few seconds of a money shot with all three would be enough to get more butts in seats.

HANDS, baby Deep Wang, that's all you need!!  I'm telling you -- as I mentioned prior in this thread -- just show Holland's Spidey in peril, or transition that final shot of Spidey-hand to two other Spidey-hands reaching out...and there you have it, that's all you need.  

Spoiler

And... We don't even know if that's Holland's hand in that late shot in Trailer #2 -- there could be some Endgame-level misdirection going on here, of course...

Edited by Macleod