kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

Studios will be tripping over themselves to schedule tent-poles in March. This is great news for us since we won't have to wait until Summer or the holidays for decent movies anymore.

WB's been doing it for years

Did TDK have a trilogy of books that were best-sellers for four years? :P;)

Do you really wanna go there Shawn? :PHow many comic books did Batman sell in the past 40 years? I would bet a far cry more than THG. How many movie tickets sold? And I would argue that THG books really only permeated popular culture in the last 6-9 months. Since the film was announced.
  • Like 3

I think Marched helped this out. There was no competitions and it got the audience to excited to see a movie they wanted to see.Summer would hurt The Hunger Games imo.

Agree.. Perfect release date for this..Will November be the same?I think so

• Founder / Operator

Do you really wanna go there Shawn? :PHow many comic books did Batman sell in the past 40 years? I would bet a far cry more than THG. How many movie tickets sold?And I would argue that THG books really only permeated popular culture in the last 6-9 months. Since the film was announced.

I was being sarcastic. :lol: ;)For my monies' worth, THG's and TDK's opening days are on the same level (which is a pretty high one) in most ways. I think each had their pros and cons that balance out for the most part. Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

Shawn up until July 2011 the series as a whole had not even sold more than 3m books, I can't believe you are actually using book sales.

That's a misrepresentation of what I said.

Did TDK have a trilogy of books that were best-sellers for four years? :P;)

The reasons are there, you're free to disagree. I didn't say it was one of the most impressive of all-time, just more impressive in some ways than THG's (to me). Again, big does not equal impressive. Big equals big.

If there's any opening in recent history as impressive as Hunger Games, it's Spider-Man 1 not the Dark Knight. I'm sure all the reasons have been said before, but I'll just reinterate:

1) This is a 4 year old franchise that only recently became mega huge in the last year.

2) The marketing has employed a unique method of showing NO action at all.

3) The film is, ultimately, about kids killing each other.

With all those factors, it's 50/50 on it beating Spider-Man 1's OW adjusted. If you think there's an opening more impressive than that, I'm all ears, but I'll take a lot of convincing. :P

Damn. That's a pretty freaking good number. Much better than I was expecting yesterday. Anyone knows how it is doing today? It can't possibly increase today. Can it?

Actually it can. Matinees will definitely be better today, just depends on how well it does on night shows.

Actually it can. Matinees will definitely be better today, just depends on how well it does on night shows.

Matinees were off the charts yesterday but I guess if there is enough demand 50 can happen.

The reasons are there, you're free to disagree. I didn't say it was one of the most impressive of all-time, just more impressive in some ways than THG's (to me). Again, big does not equal impressive. Big equals big.

No it just wasn't impressive...at all. It had very strong marketing and worked so well because it completely disregarded previous Star Trek properties. I can't get why anyone can downplay THG OD...it almost made as much as the first Twilight movie did in its OW in ONE DAY...IN MARCH.

I'm glad it isn't in 3D. DH2 broke the OW despite being ranked 6th in estimated attendance. Hunger Games doing these kinds of numbers without 3D shows that it belongs with the big boys.

5th. It very narrowly beat New Moon. And it's very narrowly behind SM.

With DH2's adjusted (non-midnight) IM of 2.64, this hits 148.0M, however DH2's midnight was 47.7% of its ODWith DH1's adjusted (non-midnight) IM of 2.68, this hits 150.0M, however DH1's midnight was 38.9% of its ODTHG's midnight is 28.9% of its OD, similar to TDK's 27.6%.

With DH2's adjusted (non-midnight) IM of 2.64, this hits 148.0M, however DH2's midnight was 47.7% of its ODWith DH1's adjusted (non-midnight) IM of 2.68, this hits 150.0M, however DH1's midnight was 38.9% of its ODTHG's midnight is 28.9% of its OD, similar to TDK's 27.6%.

So, essentially $148M is without a doubt the lowest we can expect this to open.