sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Mal2 36, Jokah 29.2, Zombi2 26.7, Addams 16, Gemini 8.5 | Parasite 1.2 (37.6K), Lighthouse 420K (52K), Jojo 350K (70K avg)

45 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Not saying maleficent is trash I haven’t seen it but with the changes RT has made even trash movies are going to have decent audience scores

96% is not merely decent though. from 300 reviews to 1400+ reviews it hasn't budged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Funny what about a half a million bucks can do

I remember during the first weekend Joker came out it was at over 200M Worldwide and I was like, "Oh, okay. Not too bad." Then I checked online during its second weekend after that and was shocked to see it make over half a billion worldwide that fast.

Yeah if people are gonna completely ignore critics on Venom and look to audience scores we can't pretend that 96% isn't anything short of awesome. That said let's see if it actually helps the box office because so far the numbers are mediocre.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a2k said:

96% is not merely decent though. from 300 reviews to 1400+ reviews it hasn't budged.

Yeah, it's going to change soon. The first film ended up at 70% after 175K reviews, so it'll go down as the weeks go by.

It could very well be that there are two types of people.   Those who brought their kids to Mal 2 and thought it was awesome and those who saw the trailers (maybe read the reviews but probably not) and said I'm not taking my kids to this crap.  

Audience score can be important but how important is it if you can't get people to watch in the first place? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Yeah if people are gonna completely ignore critics on Venom and look to audience scores we can't pretend that 96% isn't anything short of awesome.

Reminds me of The Goldfinch situation. Even though it bombed hard, the audience score was a lot higher compared to the critics (in te 70s). After Ansel Elgort pretty much defended the movie on his IG, saying that he was doing it for his Mom and stuff like that, the movie got positively review bombed by users. To put it shortly, the Goldfinch reviews can be summed up like this: "Don't listen to what the critics say, watch the movie and its a masterpiece." Or something along those lines.

Its the same thing with Aladdin and The Lion King this year, the critics didn't like either of those movies, but the audiences enjoyed them.

Edited by Xftg123
  • Like 1

Remember how The Lion King got backlash from online? People on the internet wanted that movie to pretty much flop or bomb, say that it isn't necessary, etc etc. It made over 1B.

Same goes for Aladdin with the Will Smith backlash and Captain Marvel because of Brie Larson and her comments, both moves made over 1B. It just goes to show that the internet's opinion does not equate to the general audience.

Cinephiles who bitch about the lack of originality in Hollywood & blockbusters are gonna praise

Irish Man, Martin branching out

&

Kramer vs Kramer, Sundance edition

&

1917 (Chivo on Suicide watch)

&

Random Biopic Movie

&

Random movie with an IMPORTANT message ( barf)

If irony gave me a salary,  I would be quite wealthy.

Because

It

never

stops

giving.

EVER.

Edited by The Futurist

I watched Jojo Rabbit and gave it a B (83%), watched the first 30 minutes of The Lighthouse and figured it wouldn't get nominated and turned it off.  It seemed The Lighthouse had a little better cinematography and editing, but Jojo had slightly better acting.  Probably 6-10th place on the Academy Awards rankings.  Here's to checking out Parasite soon too and seeing if it is a stronger awards candidate IMO then Jojo and Lighthouse.

52 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Yeah if people are gonna completely ignore critics on Venom and look to audience scores we can't pretend that 96% isn't anything short of awesome. That said let's see if it actually helps the box office because so far the numbers are mediocre.

Yeah, case in point, Gemini Man's 84% ain't 96% but I thought it might still translate into some halfway decent legs and that has been nothing but wreckage and ruin so far.

• Like 1