sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Mal2 36, Jokah 29.2, Zombi2 26.7, Addams 16, Gemini 8.5 | Parasite 1.2 (37.6K), Lighthouse 420K (52K), Jojo 350K (70K avg)

46 minutes ago, belligerent talking robot said:

I watched Jojo Rabbit and gave it a B (83%), watched the first 30 minutes of The Lighthouse and figured it wouldn't get nominated and turned it off.  It seemed The Lighthouse had a little better cinematography and editing, but Jojo had slightly better acting.  Probably 6-10th place on the Academy Awards rankings.  Here's to checking out Parasite soon too and seeing if it is a stronger awards candidate IMO then Jojo and Lighthouse.

Do you primarily watch these movies to gauge their awards prospects?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xftg123 said:

Remember how The Lion King got backlash from online? People on the internet wanted that movie to pretty much flop or bomb, say that it isn't necessary, etc etc. It made over 1B.

Same goes for Aladdin with the Will Smith backlash and Captain Marvel because of Brie Larson and her comments, both moves made over 1B. It just goes to show that the internet's opinion does not equate to the general audience.

The thing with the internet is that a vocal minority upset at something has a bigger reach than the vast majority that doesn't have a strong opinion or slightly likes something. 

With the algorithms, it's really to find something that doesn't fit your own opinion and since everything it's "black or white", the perceived internet opinion doesn't really correlate with the truth. Let alone with the overall opinion with people that don't use internet that much.

The Apartment (1960) if I have to pick one classic.

(Also love Rear Window, It's a Wonderful Life, Citizen Kane, 12 Angry Men, Psycho. Need to watch Vertigo, have heard very good things)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

84 is 4x as high a dislike proportion as 96.

My rough impression of how new RT aud functions is:

100-95:great  

94-88: good  

87-75: medium  

74-60: bad  

<60: awful

Since verification?  Maybe.  The scores on avg have been rather higher than when it was unverified (even the unverified are now on avg higher for most since I guess spamming has lost some it's allure when they can't affect the main number).  Though I'd say anything above 90% is still very good, not just good.

Remember that 3 stars in a user review on RT is considered rotten, only 3.5/5 is considered a fresh audience reaction.

That and the kind of movie and main audience target changes what is great or good for it - and who exactly is going to RT to vote for or against it  Abominable is at 95% and Judy is at 86%.  Hustlers at 66% and Jexi is at 71%.    Hustlers has had pretty great legs for a "bad" audience received film and Judy is doing better than medium.

• Like 1

if we're talking classics i know gone with the wind was discussed earlier but i just wanna shout out how much i love it. beyond the civil war stuff it's primarily a romance between two toxic fucking assholes and in that regard i think it excels. also vivian leigh in that movie is maybe like, the best performance in a movie period.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Hustlers has had pretty great legs for a "bad" audience received film and Judy is doing better than medium.

Don't forget Rotten Scores too.

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom

Aladdin (2019)

The Lion King (2019)

Batman V Superman

Suicide Squad

They all have Rotten scores from Critics but all of them had good to great legs at the box office.

Edited by Xftg123

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

if we're talking classics i know gone with the wind was discussed earlier but i just wanna shout out how much i love it. beyond the civil war stuff it's primarily a romance between two toxic fucking assholes and in that regard i think it excels. also vivian leigh in that movie is maybe like, the best performance in a movie period.

See, this is why it fails so spectacularly with me - I just wanted both of them to die horrible deaths by the end of the movie, they annoyed me so much:)...

Now, Casablanca, that's the true classic romance movie:)...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

Aladdin (2019)

The Lion King (2019)

Batman V Superman

Suicide Squad

They all have Rotten scores from Critics but all of them had good to great legs at the box office.

1. She's talking audience scores

2. BvS...and good legs...

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

See, this is why it fails so spectacularly with me - I just wanted both of them to die horrible deaths by the end of the movie, they annoyed me so much:)...

Now, Casablanca, that's the true classic romance movie:)...

it's almost the most impressive thing about how it's the biggest movie of all time. spending four hours following a pretty unrepentant narcissist.

casablanca is of course also very excellent but a different type of movie. if you saw it in a nowadays movie people would complain about the "un-naturalistic" dialogue but a lot of the movies of the 1940s like that where the lines are just so sharp I love it. like i think half that script must be in AFI's top 100 movie quotes list lol. i think it's sort of a shame you don't see that kind of all killer no filler writing today.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

Aladdin (2019)

The Lion King (2019)

Batman V Superman

Suicide Squad

BvS had horrible legs. The others had good to great legs though.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

Aladdin (2019)

The Lion King (2019)

Batman V Superman

Suicide Squad

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xftg123 said:

Remember how The Lion King got backlash from online? People on the internet wanted that movie to pretty much flop or bomb, say that it isn't necessary, etc etc. It made over 1B.

Same goes for Aladdin with the Will Smith backlash and Captain Marvel because of Brie Larson and her comments, both moves made over 1B. It just goes to show that the internet's opinion does not equate to the general audience.

Some unique things in play there....    Captain Marvel was part of an epic 23-film saga and tied directly into the biggest movie of all time.  

Lion King and Aladdin are 90s nostalgia based on classic animated films.  

I don't think any of those three movies had a chance in hell of bombing.  I thought all 3 would go over the billion mark.  There are some things that are fool proof.  

That's not to say you have to hate any of those movies I can see why people would like them I just don't think they could ever fail no matter the quality. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Entertainment Weekly did an all-time Best Actress Bracket voted on by readers, Vivien Leigh won:

Not everyone can deal with a selifish protagonist who's not a nice person, especially when it's a woman (look at Hustlers, a heist movie, and you had studio execs and some critics who needed the marks to "deserve" it in some way, when countless nameless extras and bit players have been terrorized/killed in every other bank robbery movie ever). Throw in the run time, the questionable racial politics (which were protested even in the 1930s) and the soap opera main plot, and GWTW makes a lot of "overrated classics" lists. But it is technical marvel, many different types of toxic relationships are ultimately shown to be as such, and a woman who thumbs her nose at societal conventions will have fans across generations. I saw a take that GWTW is really a love story between Scarlett and Melanie, and the elements are there between all the melodrama. Too bad about Leslie Howard as Ashley, he was 15-20 years too old for the role and going through the motions, besides.

Joker is doing really well here but is leggier overseas, I wonder why that is...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Joker is doing really well here but is leggier overseas, I wonder why that is...

Most movies are leggier in OS than in domestic. There are markets with crazy legs(10x happens quite often in Japan) and overall few big markets can lead to stronger OS legs. Just look at 2nd weekend drops for joker(there were markets it increased as well). That happens only during holidays at domestic. So this was always expected unless a movie bombs OS.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Do you primarily watch these movies to gauge their awards prospects?

now I am,

but I don't think The Avengers (2012) was deserving of a best pic nomination over TDKR

😃

*it seemed like those 9 movies nominated for best picture were designed that way to fill the slots.  if they weren't there, then TDKR would have had added more to the competition

**if you know what I know, then it looks empty right now which means Frozen II is wide open for a nom

Edited by belligerent talking robot

Speaking of Best Picture noms, Disney's doing their Oscars Campaign and they want Avengers Endgame to be in the runs for Best Picture.

I mean, I personally think it shouldn't win BP,  but something like an Lifetime Achievement Award of sorts would be better for the film.

• Like 1