TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Only among the Quartering Nerdrotic and Critical Drinker crowd who are convinced women are "taking over Marvel" and that Marvels sidelining the male characters too much and that Brie Larson is somehow responsible for their parents divorce. The majority of audiences and critics enjoyed it a lot.

When I say divisive . I'm not talking about tha section of the internet bse they will hate it no matter what.

Was it review bombed yes but still what metric can we determine it was better recieved than wandavision, Loki or even moonknight by the  audience.

Only the compliment I get from those who like is that it was Just a fun sitcom that should not be taken seriously.

May be  divisive was the wrong word to use. 

Didn't like Loki but it was received very well , Ms marvel was my favorite but it's reception audience wise it was fine.

But my point still is when we talk Abt general conversations around the current phase

NWH,SC ,WF , Loki and most of WV have generally regarded the best of phase 4 and have less complaints and divided opinions compared to the rest of the projects.

She hulk is more in line with what if, Hawkeye "fun but passable entertainment" and I don't think we can put it in the same category as those I've mentioned above atleast in terms of audience reception.

For all the talk of how "70 percent audience RT spells the death of franchises", this is currently sitting at 83 which puts it above a number of MCU releases, including the one immediately before this, the Guardians Holiday special.

Antman has over 4000 more ratings than Guardians and is a theatrical release

For all the talk of how "70 percent audience RT spells the death of franchises", this is currently sitting at 83 which puts it above a number of MCU releases, including the one immediately before this, the Guardians Holiday special.

Verified audience score != unverified score and TV != movies on rotten tomatoes. 

I mean, why not use IMDb? Ant-Man has 22% of reviews a 5/10 or below and 41% of reviews below a 7/10 (RT fresh cutoff is 3.5/5 - but that probably doesn't translate directly). GotG - Special has 14.2% at or below a 5/10 and 32% below a 7/10.  1.4k reviews on RT for GotG:HS versus 65k on IMDb. 

At the very least, let's average these guys out. 

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

IMDb is infamously skewed though. People bot-farming it has been a known thing for years.

What about 70% second weekend drop. What is that skewing towards.

Unless you want to say that 70% drop means people are liking it.

Also Domestic is very generous for this movie, that it is only a 70% drop, in my country it was rejected after the weekend itself and out of many theaters on one week.

But sure, audience all over the world are enjoying it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Rise of Skywalker sits at 86% percent and man that's awful.

even morbius which is garbage still 71% . AS always inflated .

CS and postrak are better atleast for guaging audience reception.

83% sure higher than some but do they carry  B CS , awful post trak and a 48% critical rating.

Rating systems are hard to gauge and have lots of variables from genre to genre and yeah  some context has to be applied 

For MCU anything below 70% on critical rating and anything below A-   is trouble . And either one of those instances has been happening often lately.

Sure is the franchise dying not really buts it's in a momentary state of decline, how long will it continue? Will see how much course correction will be done.

Nothing successful as the MCU falls a cliff in a day. it always begins in a pattern which if not addressed can lead to disaster.

4 BS in the last 6 is a terrible stastic to have for a franchise that use to operate so efficently. and audiences are starting to notice.

45 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

What about 70% second weekend drop. What is that skewing towards.

Unless you want to say that 70% drop means people are liking it.

Also Domestic is very generous for this movie, that it is only a 70% drop, in my country it was rejected after the weekend itself and out of many theaters on one week.

But sure, audience all over the world are enjoying it. 

In just saying people here were saying "it's gonna be 70 percent and that's proof audiences hate the MCU now" and that didn't happen at all. As for box office, well the mods don't like it when I point it out but when other films do worse they don't get this level of reaction. Could you imagine if any Marvel thing did numbers like Dredd, Morbius or tracked like Shazam 2. Quantumania already passed Dune's entire dom and that was like the second coming on here

Edited by SpiderByte

19 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

In just saying people here were saying "it's gonna be 70 percent and that's proof audiences hate the MCU now" and that didn't happen at all. As for box office, well the mods don't like it when I point it out but when other films do worse they don't get this level of reaction. Could you imagine if any Marvel thing did numbers like Dredd, Morbius or tracked like Shazam 2. Quantumania already passed Dune's entire dom and that was like the second coming on here

It’s because you point out irrelevant things that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

No one is surprised that morbius didn’t make a lot of money cause Sony hasn’t made a successful universe like the mcu, no one is shocked that Shazam has bad tracking cause of the state of the dc universe. You’re mentioning dune that literally released day and date in theatres and hbomax, you’re gonna compare that to an mcu movie? Really?

People “are” shocked when the most successful franchise in the last decade has put out some truly bad stuff the last few years and are now potentially seeing drops on the level of BvS which was ridiculed for years as being beyond awful. 

It’s great you love the mcu but imagine dying on a hill for this movie, it’s just weird. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 11
  • Knock It Off 1

20 minutes ago, cax16 said:

You’re mentioning dune that literally released day and date in theatres and hbomax, you’re gonna compare that to an mcu movie? Really?

Were you just not here when Dune came out because absolutely every single person was doing that. Eternals was an allegedly calamitous disaster and Dune was proof of a return to cinemas was possible when they made essentially the same amount WW.

Also, "truly bad stuff for the past few years" is a very fancy way of saying "critics didn't like two of them" and "they were slightly more frontloaded compared to pre-pandemic".

But don't you pretend people on here arent basically rooting for their "side " too, claiming The Marvels will have half a billion drop from the first movie because of the inclusion of Ms Marvel and Photon...characters from two of Marvels best received Phase 4 projects. If you're gonna call me out for enjoying it it's kinda one sided not to point out the people clearly rooting against it. Be real now. If I'm getting the hammer for being positive I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for fairness.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

37 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Quantamania comparison with Dune makes no sense at all, just like whatever happened in Quantamania movie.

Anyways it's not about this forum, it's about what audience thinks and dropping this big has clearly showed what audience thought about this movie.

Besides, first target for Quantamania should be crossing Ant Man's 519 million.

Moderation

@SpiderByte Enough. I know you're gonna cry again that everybody's out to get you, but it's not funny anymore. Please put people on your Ignore list you don't like and call it a day. Your incessant defenses against Marvel anytime anybody dares to say anything mildly negative or pessimistic has to stop. It's derailed threads constantly, and everybody here is sick of it. And if you continue with this, you will get heavy repercussions. Trust me, I am not joing. I know you hate the mods for doing this stuff, but this is how we roll. Deal with it.

Likewise, everybody else just ignore SpiderByte and their posts. You know they won't listen. There's no point in arguing with somebody who will put their head in the sand every single moment of the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

https://deadline.com/2023/02/box-office-cocaine-bear-jesus-revolution-ant-man-and-the-wasp-1235269877/

"How will Marvel post-mortem this? Aren’t they already “plus-ing” with every movie they make?

One insider close to the film isn’t worried, telling us, “Marvel takes something away from every movie including Black Panther, including Avengers. I can say we’re incredibly proud of the film, Jonathan Majors does a fantastic job as Kang. It’s the movie we wanted to make. Box office is what it is. But it’s not going to stop people from going back to the theaters.”

Sounds like Marvels overall plans aren't changing, or at least not in response to this movie, kinda like with Eternals. It sounds like the schedule changes they announced before this are an Iger thing, since that's been reflected company wide in terms of his strategy vs Chapeks.

• Disbelief 1

https://deadline.com/2023/02/box-office-cocaine-bear-jesus-revolution-ant-man-and-the-wasp-1235269877/

"How will Marvel post-mortem this? Aren’t they already “plus-ing” with every movie they make?

One insider close to the film isn’t worried, telling us, “Marvel takes something away from every movie including Black Panther, including Avengers. I can say we’re incredibly proud of the film, Jonathan Majors does a fantastic job as Kang. It’s the movie we wanted to make. Box office is what it is. But it’s not going to stop people from going back to the theaters.”

Sounds like Marvels overall plans aren't changing, or at least not in response to this movie, kinda like with Eternals. It sounds like the schedule changes they announced before this are an Iger thing, since that's been reflected company wide in terms of his strategy vs Chapeks.

That is the sound of hubris.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

15 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

That is the sound of hubris.

I mean it worked with Eternals. It didn't have any real impact on how, say, Moon Knight or Hawkeye were received immediately after it came out. All indications seem to point to marvel making more projects while spacing them out, especially since Secret Invasion is probably weeks away.

16 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

At the end of the day, I just want to see how an MCU film will perform with strong reception. That will give us a better indication on "Superhero fatigue" or if its just "MCU fatigue" 

You’ll never get that perfect experience to because fatigue means less preferable reception over time. 

On 2/20/2023 at 5:55 PM, THUNDER BIRD said:

No Way Home performed better than Infinity War minus China. It was not Avengers movie, but just as big.

Being an Avengers movie doesn't give you guarantee of being bigger than No Way Home which had it's own reason to why it was so big.

Also there's not even a guarantee that Kang Dynasty will open bigger than Infinity War and NWH with the mess MCU been making lately.

Spot on.