TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

4 hours ago, toutvabien said:

I will throw in that marketing is key to a lot of these upcoming films (Superman, BNW, Thunderbolts) and point out that Superman has been getting a lot of attention for every BTS pic or anything that has come out, yet Joker 2 announcement, behind the scenes pics and every piece of marketing, all got a lot of attention and buzz.

That's Gaga's power for ya!

Too bad it's starting to appear as if they got her on board for nothing, though.

17 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

But there’s a difference between mixed/mediocre reception and panned though. A Suicide Squad film doesn’t outgross a Superman and a Justice League film, as well as make only 120M less than a pseudo-Justice League film, if it’s flat out rejected. More than enough people liked it. It didn’t even have the novelty of Batman and Superman together or the boost from NWH.

Suicide Squad hype was insane tho... and it did have kinda meh/poor legs for an August blockbuster with no competition. I do think it's in part why The Suicide Squad did worse than other day-and-date WB releases (though it was a big departure from the first one, with a different roster, no Will Smith, R rating, no direct follow-through on the threads of the first, no Joker hype etc.) Surely, it wasn't anywhere near as toxic as BvS word of mouth, but I think if it was well liked it could have gone even higher.

Edited by toutvabien
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TomThomas said:

They can get great reviews and still flop like Gunn's The Suicide Squad. Thunderbolts looks like poor man's Suicide Squad.

Gunn movie wouldn't have flopped if it wasn't for COVID. It's not good comparison. 

• Like 2

I

32 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

DC sequels

Wonder Woman to WW84 - 412 to 47
Suicide Squad to TSS - 325 to 56
Shazam to Shazam 2 - 140 to 58
Aquaman to Aquaman 2 - 335 to 124

Joker 2 underwhelming early sales.

The Batman 2:
lego batman GIF

I watched The Batman at the cinema and i wouldn't watch a sequel there if they pay me a ticket ...

Edited by vale9001
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

DC sequels

The Batman 2:
lego batman GIF

When you realize that no dc sequel has increased since TDKR  

I feel like The Batman was largely liked. And I thought it was great and am hype for the sequel. But I will admit there's still a bit of a tiredness for me about it. Like they did a good job of making it feel like a unique take on the character, but at the end of the film when we got the joker reveal I still kind of just sighed and went... Please no more joker. Like in the last 15 years I'd already seen so many jokers. I don't want to see another joker please lord

• Like 2

The problem with the excuse that TSS flopped because of Covid and the day and date strategy is that Godzilla vs. Kong did noticeably better, despite having come out when lockdowns were still in place for the most part. I think the truth is that TSS simply didn't have any of the things going for it that the 2016 film had. No Will Smith, no Joker, no crazy mainstream soundtrack,  a confusing title, etc. 

Anyway, I think one thing that’s become apparent in the 2020s is that DC has a sequel problem, and to be honest, I’m not sure if The Batman 2 will be able to avoid that pitfall. The movie was well liked, but I don’t know if it has the same kind of post-release momentum that Batman Begins had. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

If this flops, the #1 reason is they waited too long.

I don’t think a musical comic-book action film would’ve been an easy sell any year

Edited by joselowe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

DC sequels

The Batman 2:
lego batman GIF

WW84?really?

14 hours ago, Noctis said:

Disaster move to premiere this in Venice. I have rarely seen reviews suffocate so much hype so quickly.

Lady Gaga was the best casting they could have done, and if reviews are to be believed, they wasted her and that's a big reason for the deflating hype.

Also, just don't make it a musical. 

Second time this has happened recently; the Reaction at Cannes. devastated that hype for Indy 5.

5 hours ago, TomThomas said:

It would have, just not as hard. 300-400 mln is still a flop.

You do realise the main reason it performed that way bcoz of day n date streaming as well as COVID. If it was released in normal times. It would have done 500-600 M atleast. It has good reviews 

33 minutes ago, Belakor said:

Batman is it´s own franchise at this point, the Batman 2 would've to be terrible, absolute trash to not hit at least 500 million WW.

The Batman in non-covid times would've made at least 1 billion, easily. 

I don't think so. Pre COVID Batman hype was very low bcoz of bvs and justice league disaster 

11 hours ago, TomThomas said:

They can get great reviews and still flop like Gunn's The Suicide Squad. Thunderbolts looks like poor man's Suicide Squad.

Some CBM fanboys are still in the first stage of greiving:Denial.

There have just been too many CBM failures to write it off due to the occasional bad movie. Back whne they were attheir height, some pretty mediocre CBMs made a lot of money.

The GA got burned out on them; for further proof see how quite a fewof the Disney Plus+ Marvel miniseries are struggling in the ratings.

The Genre won't dissapiear, you will have the occasional Spidey NWH, The Batman or Deadpool 3, but the days when you could pretty much guarantee a CBM will turn a profit are over. The Genre is simply not dominating the way it once did.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Some CBM fanboys are still in the first stage of greiving:Denial.

There have just been too many CBM failures to write it off due to the occasional bad movie. Back whne they were attheir height, some pretty mediocre CBMs made a lot of money.

The GA got burned out on them; for further proof see how quite a fewof the Disney Plus+ Marvel miniseries are struggling in the ratings.

The Genre won't dissapiear, you will have the occasional Spidey NWH, The Batman or Deadpool 3, but the days when you could pretty much guarantee a CBM will turn a profit are over. The Genre is simply not dominating the way it once did.

I think the only reason CBM movies aren't seen dominating is mostly bcoz of post COVID few MCU movies failure. Bcoz pre COVID it wasn't like dceu was doing much better other than occasional hit here and there. Tbh genre is still thriving Pretty nicely. We had Spidey animated hit movie, Batman was also hit and 2-3 MCU movies over performed. If MCU gets back to the quality , it'll again start to dominate.

• Thanks 1

There's nothing quite yet that we can point to for a potential Batman pt 2 drop-off. Not saying it won't happen, but when it does, it could be many things. One thing I can see impacing general audiences is if Gunn/the DCU announces its own Batman and we see the casting and development of that film... maybe. Thus far, The Batman is one of the most popular films of the 2020s, very close to the first Dune. I think the sequel grows a bit, maybe even gives WB one of their biggest openings. Unlike Joker, it calls for a sequel, it directly builds up a sequel, the first very much operates as an opening chapter to the arcs of its characters (especially Bruce and Selina) and it probably won't add genres/mediums that are too unconventional for the audience of the first. I think it's one of the safest films for the DC brand in a while.

Edited by toutvabien