TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

8 hours ago, Kon said:

I mean, Gaga shouldn't be blamed at all for the underperformance of this movie.

However, it still shows Gaga isn't a really big draw for the movie. I mean, the promotion for Joker 2 makes it seems Gaga will have a pretty big role (and I really doubt so many people have seen the Venice reviews), but people aren't so interested.

I mean the last minute promotion with all the clips in order to make Gaga's character looking big in the movie was obviously damage control after Venice reactions, they made noise, already from the second trailer released in late July Gaga's character was quite unseen on it and the rumors of her being supporting started from Variety, clearly there are also other factors playing and she can't do miracles, I'm sure without her presence this movie would underperform even more.

Edited by Opium
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, european1992 said:

Gaga just released an album that goes with the movie and it is flopping badly. Not a good look. It might be that some of you are overestimating the number of her fans, I don't think she has been relevant in a long time. I am still going to see the movie despite this bad aura around it.

It's an album of covers of 50 years old jazz standards, it's a niche genre.

She currently has the first song on Global Spotify since more than a month, but obviously it's a total different kind of music from the one used in the movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Opium said:

I mean the last minute promotion with all the clips in order to make Gaga's character looking big in the movie was obviously damage control after Venice reactions, they made noise, already from the second trailer released in late July Gaga's character was quite unseen on it and the rumors of her being supporting started from Variety, clearly there are also other factors playing and she can't do miracles, I'm sure without her presence this movie would underperform even more.

I'm sure they'll poll opening weekend to see how many people showed up for her specifically, if we don't get the number on reporting then it'll be a not significant enough amount. I have the same opinion right now, it probably would be in a much worse spot without her, but we'll know for sure by the end of the weekend. 

13 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Superman isn’t going to make any money. Wasn’t The Flash supposed to be a feel good breakout movie? And The Suicide Squad? And Blue Beetle? And WW84? And Shazam 2? And Black Adam? Just because he’s a big name character doesn’t mean much, because Wonder Woman bombed and if the Joker can underperform then Superman can outright collapse. 

You're talking about Wonder Woman? I can only assumer you're talking about the 2nd, which released on December 2020 and was completely trashed. And Joker which is going to follow the same path, already started with bad reviews and will get outright rejected by audiences in ways we can't even see right now because of its terrible creative decisions?

So unless it is terrible and is trashed, even mediocre or it is a full blown boring ass court musical, you don't have much ground to stand on those comps.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

On 9/28/2024 at 9:29 PM, filmlover said:

She's unlikely to receive any of the blame for this tbh. If anyone will, it's likely to be Phoenix since it seems fashionable to dunk on him these days.

Cats was much bigger disaster then Joker 2 could ever be, and nobody blamed Taylor Swift for the fiasco.

Lady Gaga will be fine. Won;t hurt her concert career in the least.

She might actually want to take a page as far as movies goes fromr Sinatra, and concerntrate on doing straigh dramatic roles for a while before going back to musicals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Damn, people on Letterboxd really don't like it....the first one has 3.9 rating

This review made me laugh   https://letterboxd.com/anapau_villa/film/joker-folie-a-deux/

Yeah people can't use an excuse like "but Letterboxd hated the first movie too" or something like that. Joker is rated higher on Letterboxd than all but three MCU/DCEU movies. 

And on IMDB it has an 8.4 which is tied with Infinity War/Endgame/Into the Spider-Verse and only behind Spider-Verse 2/The Dark Knight

Edited by HummingLemon496

22 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yeah people can't use an excuse like "but Letterboxd hated the first movie too" or something like that. Joker is rated higher on Letterboxd than all but three MCU/DCEU movies. 

And on IMDB it has an 8.4 which is tied with Infinity War/Endgame/Into the Spider-Verse and only behind Spider-Verse 2/The Dark Knight

Let's see the rating by the end of the weekend, after at least 20+ k votes. It'll drop from the first one, no doubt, but I think it'll be higher than the current one which is riddled with bots and soi boys, it needs general audience injection.

Edited by TomThomas